Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debra_meise

Help with doors????

Debra Meise
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

We are remodeling our kitchen what to do with doors? currently white doors ,one goes outside other to garage . then i have two closets doors a basement door, pantry door and bathroom door stained. the kitchen cupboards will be offwhite with dark wood floor . the desk area will have upper and lower cabinets

Comments (77)

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The kitchen also connects on other side to our family room with another big window and wood beams

• marylut
    2 months ago

Yes, the stain finish hides dirt that shows up on white paint. Paint the coat closet bypass doors same color as the entry wall so it visually becomes part of the entry rather than part of the kitchen. That makes it look like one less door is in the kitchen. Paint the inside of the back door a different color from the other doors so it is obvious it is a door to outside. That might also make it look like the kitchen has fewer doors.

• marylut
    2 months ago

You will get more kitchen prep space if you forego the peninsula, (cab at peninsula corner is dead space and difficult to retrieve items stored there), extend the cabinets further along the wall thus enlarging the kitchen footprint, and have grandkiddos sit at the small table to help you prep.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

So you would paint the closet doors same color as the entry doors ?? There are so many doors in this small area so not sure what to do. I saw a sandstone color that I thought might be better than white. Since our cabinets will be an off white. That I would be willing to do for paint and then stain the baseboards. My daughter has this color on patio doors that are vinyl. What do you think about this color? I could do trim around doors this same sandstone color . Our countertops are going to be cambria hawk ridge that have a lot of beautiful colors

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I could paint the windows the Sandstone color also. It wouldn’t get as dirty as white ?

• marylut
    2 months ago

If you keep peninsula butted up against DW (as in rendering) how will you reach across open DW door to put dishes away in the upper cab or open the drawers in the bottom cabs if you plan to store dishes there?

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Your suggestions are so helpful. Thank you. Can you clarify the door colors again. And do you think some painted doors and some stained doors. Or paint them all. I don’t want them white but would not be against a sandstone color. Just not white.

• marylut
    2 months ago

Expand kitchen cab run to back door

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Here is the plan now can the cupboard underneath island be used along the wall

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The dining area is approx same size as the kitchen work area . Not shown on diagram

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The cabinets are ordered so I can order extra ones if needed but need to use the ones I’ve ordered. I’m up for ideas . It’s still a blank slate

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The soffits are being removed and the kitchen cabinets will be taller up to ceiling

• marylut
    2 months ago

Here is what mean by door colors

• marylut
    2 months ago

Ask your contractor or CKD (certified kitchen designer) if the cabs for peninsula can be repurposed for the wall. Would be very convenient if you could have a full height kitchen pantry, is that planned for next to the coat closet?

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

We have a large pantry closet right here. That will be wonderful for storage

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I wasn’t loving the range at end. Could that go along the wall next to the dishwasher.

• marylut
    2 months ago

Whatever paint colors you choose in kitchen, make sure they all have same undertone, and also look good with flooring, cabs, counter, walls, and doors, and stain if you keep the stain. Your home should send a consistent message about the windows and doors - for example, if you want the home to feel larger and more cohesive then paint all the rooms that open to each other all the same color; or if all your doors leading to other rooms are stained then do same stain on door to basement; or if the doors are painted and the trim is stained, then keep that pattern from room to room; or you can stain windows and doors and trim in the casual family room while painting windows and doors and trim in other rooms. Your choice, your style preference, your home.

• marylut
    2 months ago

If you can use the peninsula cabs along the wall, you might consider putting the microwave over there and getting an exhaust hood for the range. That layout will keep snack seekers out of your main work area (sink and cooktop) and help keep multiple cooks out of each other’s way.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I Am liking your idea about moving the cabinets to the wall i had my husband measure and from the dishwasher to the back door and I have 44 inches from dishwasher to end of window and I have an additional 16 inches from window to door. Maybe the range can get put along the wall by dishwasher and then have an island that extend into eating area or a peninsula countertop. Then I could put the 30 inch base cabinet where the stove is in the plan.

• marylut
    2 months ago

If range can move, then ideal - get exhaust hood instead of over-the-range MW and vent the hood directly outside! And allow min 12” counter on one side of range and min 15” on other side.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

This is just a random sketch but something like this??

• marylut
    2 months ago

Think Zones. Prep zone has sink, fridge, pantry, recycle and trash bins - put fridge at end of run and if possible on same side as family room doorway to keep snack seekers out of your way. MW near fridge (are used together), microwave over range is inconvenient for multiple cooks and puts snack seekers in your hot zone. Cook/Hot Zone has cooktop, oven. Clean up zone has sink, DW, place setting storage, recycle and trash bin. Maybe you want to designate storage for small appliances you don’t use daily.

• marylut
    2 months ago

A really great idea to get more use out of corners is to add undercab light there

• marylut
    2 months ago

Another awesomely practical idea is to have pull out shelves if the food pantry is deep, and store small appliances or bulk beverages on the bottom stationary shelf.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes we got pullouts wherever we could add them I have a possible idea

• Jennz9b
    2 months ago

what a lovely kitchen you will have! if this were my house i would: Paint the walls a creamy off white that goes with your cabinets. Paint the walls, trim, ceiling and doors (including closet doors) the same color. Do the SAME in the adjoining family room. Definitely paint all the trim the same white. (Use eggshell on the walls, flat on the ceiling, and semigloss on the doors and trim.) Leave your beautiful beams as is. Use beverly’s lovely photo as the example. Enjoy! (and if this were my home i would paint all the trim and doors this same soft off- white throughout the entire house for cohesiveness as others have mentioned below. )

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I have had many of you comment ably kitchen design. That you wouldn’t leave the range on end of island. I’m looking for tips on how I could change that. We could use wall by window. I’m up for your ideas. Move range ??

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I have the best kitchen designer. Thank you to all of you that told me putting range at end of line was a bad idea. Here is what we were going to have and 2nd picture shows new design our kitchen designer came up with

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I’ll need to order more cupboards to do this but I think the tile and everything will look more cohesive with this layout. Tell me do you all like the microwave hood fans ?

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I did my research on hood fans vs micro hoods and going with range hood. Not enough grease fighting ability with micro hood

• jackowskib
    2 months ago

Looks better Debra but may be a challenge accessing the left corner, is it a full accessible corner cabinet? Also on left of fridge, are those a bank of drawers? If so, you will like for storage of pots and pans.
    So if you’re thinking of going with a range hood, where will microwave be? Wondering if you'd consider removing the desk and shelves above and convert to a cabinet with counter there. Shelves above but with a microwave box under bottom shelf. A countertop with storage underneath. This could serve as microwave and perhaps coffee station.

• Tina
    2 months ago

I think moving the range over puts it too close to the sink. It will be congested if someone is at the sink and another person is in front of stove

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

This will be the new layout by the range. We use the microwave but rarely. I had to order more cabinets as I already had ordered cabinets. So now I have an extra tall cabinet for pans. A full height 45 inch long blind corner cabinet and a 30 inch wide 36 long double door upper cabinet that won’t be used. I was a 2000 mistake but better to catch it now. The new layout will have a lazy Susan on bottom to left of the range. We use the microwave but not near as much as the range . So I want a range hood that vents well. Looking at a hauslane. Has anyone used that. The corner by the refrigerator will be for the microwave. I didn’t want to buy another cabinet. So I may have them mount one under cabinet to left of fridge . But it would be small . The current desk area will have upper and lower cabinets. We have pullouts in every lower cabinet for ease of use.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I’m going to paint the doors next to woodwork this color. Walls will be light. The next picture shows new floor , woodwork and countertops. Decided on upper sample color in picture. The tile color is too light. Will be picking something darker

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

It’s bigger than it looks in picture. In work area of kitchen. Here is current picture . I’m also changing windows to larger double hungs

• Tina
    2 months ago

I know you don’t want to order anymore cabinets but….i think the cabinet to the left of the fridge should be shorter with a open shelf under and you can put the mircrowave there. Usually take things directly out of fridge and put in microwave

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I agree it would look perfect there but the shelf only comes in a 27 or 30 inch cabinet. And I have a 33 inch wide cabinet there. So I’m going to keep it on the counter

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

What color countertops should I put in ? I like the quartz but don’t want white on white. How do I add contrast ?

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My samples

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

Could I do a countertop height table with stools and then use those stools if needed at counter. Because I won’t have room in dining area for stools and table and chairs. See above pictures. I need to pick where to put the light in dinette area.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

This is before. Kind of tight area. Want to do different table. We were going to extend countertop but I think it’s too tight to do stools and table. That’s why I’m wondering about a counter height table. What do you think ?

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

Help where to put light ?

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Walls are painted classic gray by Benjamin Moore. What color for doors ?

• jackowskib
    29 days ago

You may find the attached color review helpful on deciding color for the doors.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/paint-color-review-benjamin-moore-classic-gray-1548/

• mmc429
    29 days ago

I went through something like this. Had a really really old kitchen and we redid it.
    I laughed at how much better the old kitchen looked once everything was removed. Yours is also already looking better! Long & tedious process, but you’ll be really happy after.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you. It’s been a process for sure.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    29 days ago

What do you think of this. It’s anew gray by sherwin Williams. My painter that’s doing doors uses sherwin Williams paint.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Here are my colors for the kitchen

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Can I paint my exterior doors roycroft pewter ? What do you think ?

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    19 days ago

They are coming next week to paint the doors.