Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_976315442

Will these closet doors warp?

Mara333
2 months ago

We had these custom doors made for closets in our basement by a carpenter.

Our main contractor just said he thought they were going to warp/bow rather quickly once they’re painted and with temperature changes.

What do you think?

I believe they’re made out of MDF and pine .

My uncle, who’s a good NYC painter , thought they should be okay with proper priming and painting (we’re going to use non VOC Benjamin Moore paint with a small roller brush).

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    2 months ago

How do they operate? How thick are they? How are they constructed? How damp is your basement? Dehumidifier in use?

• Mara333
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thx for asking ! Here’s a picture of how they open . They’re about 1.1 inch thick. They’re made of MDF with pine wood (I believe) creating the panels around the MDF.

• Mara333
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I meant to add that one of my goals in life is to prevent humidity in the basement (lol) , so yes we have a big dehumidifier in the basement.

• millworkman
    2 months ago

Yes they will warp in my opinion. They should probably have some strong back cross braces on the inside to help.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Out of curiousity... why are you having large temp fluxes in your finished basement? If a concern of your contractor is temp changes big enough to warp wood, that should be a concern to how your basement is finished. I got wood stored out in the barn that can see pretty serious temp changes, and the temps don't warp the wood.

Humidity is another matter. Even with consistent temps, humidity can warp wood fairly easily. Well primed and painted cabinet doors can hold up well in a bathroom so long as there is good ventilation to help clear the humidity. So with a dry basement with good ventilation a good paint job should hold up on a standard cabinet door. However, since your doors are oversized for that kind of make, I would put in some extra bracing on the doors. I assume the doors will be taken back down again for the painting part of the project. Extra bracing can be done at that time while the doors are off. If you want some extra insurance, you could use a waterproofing or sealant like for outdoor use to paint with- if it can hold up to outdoor conditions, it likely will hold up to a basement.

• Kate
    2 months ago

I would use an oil base primer and perhaps a marine grade paint. I think that should do it. Remember a door has 6 sides, remove all hardware too.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH