Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Herb Marigold 'Dropshot', a nice texture in the landscape.

FrozeBudd_z3/4
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

This was a surprise performer of fine textured dense and compact licorice flavored foliage, a choice full sun front of the border plant, not being a licorice fan not should not be deterrent to growing this. Slow developing at first and of insignificant flowering, it impresses of garden presence and flavor, a sprig chewed releases that notable flavor and as well is excellent in salads! In rich soils as these were grown, mature size was about 12 x 12 inch, they did not splay apart for me. This year will use as edging plants among the ornamental beds.

Comments (21)

• floraluk2
    2 months ago

Interesting. I'd hardly have recognized it as a Tagetes. Does it flower?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Floraluk2, here is a bit of a description "Tagetes filifolia Mexican Marigold. Ferny leaves with a surprising sweet licorice flavor suitable for fresh or cooked use. Bushy compact plants are attractive in containers or as an edging. Delicious!"

As for flowering, the most minuscule of things, would need a magnifying glass! The above photos were taken in early October from March sown seed.

• floraluk2
    2 months ago

I've discovered it's available from the company I get seeds from but it requires sowing in heat under glass here. Then transplanting after all risk of frost is past and starts cropping in July. Not sure I can face the faff. But it looks as if it might be snail proof which would be very useful. Have you tried drying it? Can you direct sow in your climate?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I recently sowed them in sunny south facing window, I wish for well developed plants to take additional cuttings, these are slower and too pokey to be self sown in my climate, but are not challenging. I hadn't dried any, though something to keep in mind!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 months ago

Might give it a go!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I think this is one of the plants that will be slow to catch on, though once grown is much appreciated.

• mazerolm_3a
    2 months ago

It looks really really good! Did you have to prune them or they grow like this naturally?

One herb I’d like to grow as an ornemental is curled parsley. Maybe next year, as all the space under my grow lights is already spoken for.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

No pruning at all, these marigolds remained nice and full until frost. If they look a bit yellowish there, it's just the glow of the evening sun.

Yes, curly parsley I always grow and this year will tuck some into the beds, thanks for the suggestion! :)

• rosaprimula
    2 months ago

My D-i-L bought seeds (from Kings...is that where you shop, Floral). She is something of a herbalist and loves to try unusual foods and medicinal stuff. Trying a new tagetes myself this year - tagetes lemmonnii - a semi-woody perennial. Mainly used to grow t.tenuifolia for edging but they are definitely NOT snail proof.

• floraluk2
    2 months ago

Yep. I buy my allotment seed from Kings. Pity about not being snail proof. We're in gastropod empire here.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Floral, quite suddenly, I'm almost a bit thankful for the depths of my winters, those things would be freeze dried in a flash, lol. In wet summers, we do though have nuisance slugs that either must be hand picked or baited, especially they love peas and lettuce.

Rosa, tagetes lemmonii, now that's a gem, love to try it as a container plant, those blooms are a bit something else!

• rosaprimula
    2 months ago

Yep, the mollusc apocalypse will be upon us any day now.

• mazerolm_3a
    2 months ago

Wow those snails are huge! Can you eat them?

• floraluk2
    2 months ago

You could, if you had to, but they're not as big as the usual edible snails. Different species.

They've already started on the clematis shoots and they even eat snowdrop and daffodil flowers.

• mazerolm_3a
    2 months ago

Sounds like they’re a huge pain.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Mazerolm, yes, it's all about the piping hot butter, garlic and mushroom caps! .... :)

• mazerolm_3a
    2 months ago

@FrozeBudd_z3/4: and cheese!! lol!!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I knew I forgot something ! :)

My 'Dropshot' marigolds are up and running, will add some of these to the containers upon the deck that it's at my fingertips.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

I agree with Mike, it’s a very nice looking little shrub, fan of licorice or not.

But floral, if I had those slugs in my garden, I am not sure my normal vinegar or ammonia drenches would put a dent in the population! What do you use to control them???

debra

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Mike, anyone having seen and sampled these marigolds in my garden were in for a pleasant surprise, taste tests have usually result in a "WOW!"

I'm down to only three seedling, an oversight upon watering and several perished, just means I'll attempt to take cuttings when these establish.

Debra, I think floral either requires a flamethrower, a sledgehammer or a searing pan of garlic butter and mushroom caps, LOL. :)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner