Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorena_shdez

list the problems with my pineapple sage

Lorena Hdez
5 months ago

I got this pineapple sage when flowering from the nursery. Potted in terracota pot in a mix of potting soil, perlite and sand. I noticed a couple of green caterpillars eating my leaves but also aphids. I leave in southern Cali zone 9 have in in the sun and water every 3 days. Something keeps eating my plant plus I have really crispy leaves, yellow leaves that fall easily and other curling leaves. So many things happening at the same time and I don’t know where to start. Any guests?

I picked the caterpillars and sprayed with soap and water for the aphids.

Comments (6)

• Lorena Hdez
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Also, the branches are turning brown in some spots. More photos of the same plant.

I appreciate your comments

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 months ago

clay pots were historically used in turn of the century greenhouses.. think harry potter mandrake class ..

i found it near impossible to grow things in clay pots ... they shed water thru the die walls.. making it very hard to properly water plants ... also wind dries teh pots.. as well as sun heat..etc ..

next time you repot... use a plastic pot inside a pretty pot.. so you get the benefits of a proper pot.. plus the decorative effect you wish ...

can we see the whole plant.. i wonder if the plant has outgrown the pot...

i also suggest you use a good potting mix like promix.. instead of your own concoction...

pot medium is a water management system that is engineered to hold the water needed for a given plant.. and then shed excess.. or hold additional...

finally.. in my MI.. i think of the food herbs as short lived plants... so i wonder if your plant is just not getting old.. of course you CA peeps might tell me they live for centuries... anyway.. thats why i want to see the whole plant...

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pro-mix+bx&t=ftsa&iax=images&ia=images

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 months ago

Contrary to what some posters may assume, there is absolutely nothing wrong with terra cotta or unglazed clay pots!! They have been in use for centuries, long before any plastic was ever available, and with generally excellent results. And they offer distinct advantages for any somewhat droughty plants - most herbs included. Plastic pots tend to become water saturated, especially when soil media or watering practices are not ideal. Terra cotta drains freely, both from any drainage holes as well via the clay itself. Because of this porosity, which plastic lacks, terra cotta or clay pots are able to "breathe", allowing easy oxygen exchange and cooling potting soils in hot summer climates.

I also have few concerns about your choice of potting media. Commercial, prepared potting soils are for the most part unsuitable, which is one of the primary reasons experienced container gardeners tend to make their own. Provided yours contains enough perlite and coarse sand, it should be very free draining yet adequately moisture retentive and that should suit the salvia well.

As to what's up with your pineapple sage, it could be one or a combination of several issues. This is a very temperature and day length sensitive plant. It is not full evergreen, even in its native environment, and it will freely drop leaves well into the late part of the season in response to shorter days and cooling temps. It could also be a watering issue........best not to rely on any sort of schedule but water thoroughly only as needed. The need to water can be determined by a 'tell' or simply by testing the weight of the pot - if heavy, skip; if lightweight, then give a good drink. And any plant grown in a container will need regular applications of a dilute liquid fertilizer to keep the plant happy and properly nourished.

• woodrose
    5 months ago

Probably too much sun, and maybe too much water. Where was it located at the nursery, indoors or out? It probably should have been gradually introduced to full sun.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 months ago

"Too much sun" is a unlikely concern for any salvia. And the vast majority of west coast nurseries offer virtually all their plants - with the exception of shade lovers - outdoors.

• Lorena Hdez
    Original Author
    5 months ago

In the nursery the plant was outside an in a smaller pot.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus