Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_garvin

Countertop dilemma

B G
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I am so overwhelmed trying to choose granite countertop. I have bright white shaker kitchen cabinets and a dark brown wood floor. Any advice for countertop choice? I seem to gravitate towards to those with hints of beige (maybe its yellow) and taupe. My design sense really stinks and I am afraid of making the wrong choice. That may be another reason I am having difficulty trying to choose. Any advice?

This is what the cabinets and floor look like. They are not installed yet so I don't have actual picture of space.

Comments (39)

• kandrewspa
    2 months ago

Have you been taking a sample door with you when you go to look at slabs? What you're describing sounds like it would look good with your floor, but are they too warm for the white of your cabinets? To get more help, post a picture of your kitchen that shows the floor (if your cabinets have been installed), and some pictures of the slabs you're considering. Colors aren't always reproduced faithfully online, but if something is really off it's usually obvious. When taking pictures of a slab, prop up the sample door in front of it. It would be helpful to be able to see your floor as not all "dark browns" are the same.

B G thanked kandrewspa
  • P Banos
    2 months ago

Well you can get a lot of different ideas here. But we'll want to see a photo of your existing kitchen and any adjoining spaces. You can also browse through photos on this site of kitchens with white cabinets and dark wood floors to make an idea book. Are you set on granite? There are other surfaces that work very well, depending on your preferences and budget. Speaking of which, what is your budget?

B G thanked P Banos
  • gdionelli
    2 months ago

Don't worry too much about making the "wrong" choice unless you're planning to sell soon. You most certainly should use colors you gravitate toward!

B G thanked gdionelli
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

^^^ this. Find what you love and shop until you do. Typically the counters are the largest surface after the floors and should drive other decisions (I had one client that chose backsplash first and it worked out but don’t be that person)

B G thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • eld6161
    2 months ago

To me, wood is a neutral. It is not like a tile floor that needs to be coordinated color wise.

You can go in many directions with the counter, as long as it doesn't clash with the white cabinet.

B G thanked eld6161
  • B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

What would clash with a white cabinet? I have looked at Bianco Attico, Sunset Canyon, Alaska White (high end on price point, so trying to stay away from this one), Arctic Sand, Astoria Gold (which is different from others). I have seen granites I like on Houzz but they do not provide names of those so havent been able to find them.

• eld6161
    2 months ago

BG a white quartz counter could look dingy next to bright white cabinet. A brown granite could cause problems when picking a backsplash.

Side story: My NY kitchen. We did White Dove cabinets and I was takes into a Gialo dark counter. At the stone yard, “ everything goes with white!”

Finding a bs was a nightmare, I thought using a white subway would work, but it did not. I had it torn out.

I went to every possible tile shop.

Finally, one rep recommended Garcia Rixi cream

I needed a way to transition from the white to the brown.

The cream matches perfectly with the cream in the bs. And it blends well with the cabinets.

B G thanked eld6161
  • eld6161
    2 months ago

When choosing your counter, think ahead to the backsplash. So many posts on how to coordinate the bs!

B G thanked eld6161
  • eld6161
    2 months ago

Post the granites and I bet people here can ID them for you.

B G thanked eld6161
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

Granite is not regulated. So whatever it’s called where I live it may be a different name where you live. Hence, the request for photos.

Nothing beats shopping with a cabinet door in your car. All the time!
    You may turn a corner and find a stone place you didn’t know about. You need to see these two items together in order to truly fall in love.

A brown wood floor is neutral. Once upon a time everyone had brown wood floors. Getting the cabinet/countertop/backsplash trio to work is the key.

Post photos. Not names of slabs.

B G thanked RedRyder
  • Jenny
    2 months ago

I googled the names you listed and the only one I would drop from your list is Astoria Gold.

B G thanked Jenny
  • B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

While looking for granite, I do have a cabinet door and floor sample with me.

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• herbflavor
    2 months ago

1st one in the offerings you show. Reason has to do w backsplash when you get to it. Ultra white cabs will primarily work w crisp toned white tiles. That kind of tile selection whether a shape or texture will look the best with first counter you show.....the other counters have grays within or generally muddled looking. I like the bright/ slightly bold? look of the first and a white tile will be easy to place next to it . Win Win ... Good Luck.

• eld6161
    2 months ago

I agree with Herb about her choice and comments. The granite you have chosen go more with creamy white cabinets.

The first one might be a contender.

The third could be a possibility. People fair Taj Mahal quartz with white cabinets. This granite could give you a similar look. You then would need to think about matching a tile. And, I would that before committing to the granite. Get a sample piece and see if it is easy to match.

There are floral/ other than subway shaped tiles that have both beige and white but you have to like that look.

While names vary, I would still like to know the names you have for first and third.

B G thanked eld6161
  • eld6161
    2 months ago

Some visuals

Whenever I can show actual picture, I find I get the best help.

I love all of these combinations.

You need to collect inspiration photos to bring along.

B G thanked eld6161
  • gdionelli
    2 months ago

I agree about the first one, but I differ in that I also like the boldness of the last pic. Choosing a backsplash might be difficult, however - but not impossible.

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The first one is Arctic Sand and the third one is Astoria Gold

• B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Another question. Should I be looking at grantite labled as white cool or white warm?

• acm
    2 months ago

I like the first two. The first is called "gris perla" around me. I've used it with bright white cabinets and a gray or brown glass backsplash. There are a lot of tones in the stone to choose from.

Brag pics · More Info

Brag pics · More Info

The second one looks like a Delicata maybe? Very dramatic, so that's really a matter of taste for intensity of pattern or movement. With your dark floors, I like both of those better than the murkier or more uniform ones.

You seem to have a good eye for what will go, so trust your gut!

• Rachel
    2 months ago

I have Thunder White granite so there's another one to try. It was surprisingly affordable.

Kitchen · More Info

• coray
    2 months ago

I think you should look for the cooler whites; all the tops you show make your cabs look super icy white, IMO. I wonder why you chose the bright white cabs when you seem to be drawn towards warmer tones? I know choosing the right white can be difficult….whereas hubby says “why? White is white!”😂😱

B G thanked coray
  • Jacquelyn Bainbridge
    2 months ago

That is similar to ours and I went with dekton rem. It’s not installed yet, but I’m liking it with the sample

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

^ love that suggestion

• pkpk23
    2 months ago

Last granite pictured looks best colorwise with both floor and white of cabinet on my monitor plus great movement.

B G thanked pkpk23
  • B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

From what I can tell, Virginia Mist almost looks similiar to Black Pearl or Steel gray granite. I do like all of these and may end up going with one of these colors instead. It certain ly would make things easier I think and wouldn't be busy. I thin k that is what has been the problem all along. thank you to all of you for your comments, I appreciate it!

• deegw
    2 months ago

Keep in mind that the polished black granites can be a little bossy and also suck light. The honed jet mist is a little softer and more organic.

B G thanked deegw
  • Jenny
    2 months ago

We just had leathered Steel Grey granite put in and are more than pleased with it.

B G thanked Jenny
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

BG, out of your pics, the only ones I don’t like are 3 and 6. Polished granite reflects light beautifully, even the darker colors.

B G thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

I love River white granite

B G thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

I would second a vote to look at River White. But I also think moving away from something with white - like Virginia Mist - high removes the concern that the stone will look dull and the cabinet will get icier.

Here’s River White. It’s pretty in person but put a cabinet door next to it (or any slabs you’re considering) before pulling the trigger.

B G thanked RedRyder
  • B G
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Jacqueline

I love your floor. could I trouble you for the name of the color and manufacturer? Most appreciative

• Jacquelyn Bainbridge
    2 months ago

@ B G

B G thanked Jacquelyn Bainbridge
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!