Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_krutz

Modernize exterior

Kristen Krutz
2 months ago

Our xhurch needs a face lift wed like to paint the exterior to bring it into this decade but it seems im always seeing the current color works best with the stone! advice please!! stone would be to hard to remove right now …. can we paint it another color more modern with thise hideous stones?

Comments (8)

• houssaon
    2 months ago

You could go with a warm gray on the siding and a brown from the stone on the trim and the cross.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

Why not just a warmer color from the stone. I do not think gray for a church somehow. I like the stone it gives some interest to what could be avery boring exterior but a color from it is needed .

• Debbie Downer
    2 months ago

Agree with above posters - I hope you will reframe the problem as the stone simply needing a different context. It is not itself "hideous", in fact does add interest as a natural material. If stucco color is more a midtone there wont be such a high contrast. A blue gray would not work but a brown-grey would. What is roof color?

Do you have any landscapers or gardeners in the congregation who could add a few ornamental trees and shrubs, possibly garden beds built of same stone in the front and/or around the grounds - that would help soften the look, make look more like a restful refuge and less la commercial building.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

You need slightly more saturated colors for the stucco and trim and LANDSCAPING. a couple live oaks along the front, some palm trees, understory plantings. Then some landscape lighting to make it welcoming.

• Kristen Krutz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Im looking for exterior gray browns either of these look right for the church?

• Debbie Downer
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Try posting a close up of the stone, cant make out too clearly what colors are there. I think Id rather it be a brown that is grayed to better harmonize with stone ..... rather than a straight up gray.... which is too trendy (and not in a good way) and not right color for a church. Dont worry, it will still look very current if not more so. Agree with above that color needs to be more saturated and/or midrange so as to stand up to the visual heaviness of the stone. Your pics illustrate how much lighter a paint color can look when its exterior and on a large scale.

• acm
    last month

I honestly don't know. I started making this mockup in maybe more popular tones, and it actually feels *more* 70s to me than what you have, which conjurs white clerical robe and tan stole to me. :)

i'd be tempted to stick with the current wall color and maybe just shift the trim from gray into the greige direction.

I dunno. Not sure I even like that. Just paint out the yellowish eaves and move on?