Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_brady11

Cooktop Hood Dilemma

Lindsey Brady
last month

We are making final decisions for our kitchen remodel (part of a whole home remodel). We have selected full overlay cabinets. Therefore we have to have a "filler box" between the hood and each adjacent cabinet. Should we go with A or B?

A) Filler length of cabinets

B) Filler length of hood

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

I would need to see the whole kitchen plan and I do not like wood faced hoods they get gross dicolor from steam and heat and I have no idea what the style od filler needs to be but IMO it is part of the cabinet so the whole length. BTW all those base cabinets should be drawers and honestly if at all possible I avoid uppers on a wall with windows. Who is designing this kitcehn I hope an indepedant KD not your architect or a cabinet sales person.

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

C. A different hood all together. WIth other tweaks to the design as well.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month
    last modified: last month

The second version just to the end of the hood. Going the full length of the adjacent cabinets draws too much attention to them, IMO.

• blfenton
    last month

I prefer B.

• Kendrah
    last month

I looked at the pics four times before I could even recognize what the difference was. So I say either works fine!

Agreed, I'd make all of the lowers into drawers.

• blueskysunnyday
    last month

B

• darbuka
    last month
    last modified: last month

B, for sure. The filler is way more noticeable in A, spanning the full length of the cabinet.

• Lindsey Brady
    Original Author
    last month

@Patricia (it won't let me tag you for some reason)

We definitely want a wood faced hood. We have all drawers in the kitchen except for that one single cabinet (and our pantries) so I requested for that to be a cabinet not a drawer so that I can fit taller items in such as my mixer. This is a remodel so it can't be perfect - it's an older home and some things are just not optimal such as the window placement, but we are doing the best we can with what we have. We did have an independent kitchen designer and she really dropped the ball. We have a professional kitchen cabinet company designing and I'm very happy with the design as it fits our family needs. Just unsure on hood design. Thank you and as always I appreciate all input!

• Lindsey Brady
    Original Author
    last month

@kendrah Thank you for your input! Glad it wasn't a glaring obvious difference :-)

All the other lowers in the kitchen are all drawers (with the exception of our pantries) so I specifically requested cabinets there so that I would have a spot for some taller items we have that won't fit in a drawer :-)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last month

Do what they call a WIDE RAIL....it ACTS as a filler but is part of the cabinets, so you get 3" extra interior storage for each cabinet....and NO SEAM

• Lindsey Brady
    Original Author
    last month

@the kitchen place (sorry it won't let me tag you!) Awesome idea, thank you!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last month

You're welcome....oops most brands call it WIDE STILE.