Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

Vegan Leather Slacks: Will They Still Be Stylish Next Winter?

Kswl
last month
last modified: last month

Vegan leather:

1. What is it?

2. Do we like it?

3. Will it still be in fashion next winter?

I saw leather and vegan leather attire in abundance this evening….pants, skirts and jackets of all types. There was a gamut of styles and some were more successfully pulled off than others. To my untrained eye it looked like the more tailored the garment (the more stitching and detail) the worse it looked if it did not fit perfectly. Is that is because the way the fabric lays is entirely dependent upon its construction? It doesn’t really conform to the body as much as it encases the body; even skin tight leggings looked lumpy if they didn’t fit like a glove.

Not at all sure I want to go down this route, but I was thinking I might keep an eye out for something to try in the safety of my closet 😎 But I don’t want to bother if it’s already over, so fashion mavens— what say you?

Comments (58)

• Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

I don’t know if I even want to try either one. So far I have not seen anything I really loved except a smart pair of leather pants on a stranger a few months ago, I don’t know the brand and they might have been years old. Also not sure how I feel about rewearing something I’m not sure is clean? I’ve cleaned my share of saddles over the years and would never sit on one in my underwear.

Guess I’ve answered my own question 😎 Now I wonder if pleather, as it used to be called, is washable?

• bbstx
    last month

These faux leather leggings from Spanx at Nordstrom have been reviewed almost 4,000 times. 67% of the reviews are 5 star. Another 15% are 4 star. I look at that as 82% of the reviewers think they are above average. They are a bit too ”Kardashian” for me.

I have never worn leather pants or plastic pants (well, maybe when I was in diapers) nor have I ever wanted any. I can’t think of anything that would be hotter or more uncomfortable. I prefer my leather goods to be shoes or purses.

FWIW, I own a 3/4 length leather coat that I despise. I bought it only because DH kept rumbling about buying me a leather coat. He had excellent taste in men’s clothing but his taste in women’s clothing had 2 speeds: trashy or dowdy. I bought the leather coat as a preemptive strike. It was as close to ”classic” as I could find.

I saw ”plant butter” the other day and had to laugh. Apparently you can’t charge as much for oleo.

Kswl thanked bbstx
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Bbstx, I just love you!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

It was quite awhile ago, I read a story about a gal who tried the pants. It was very funny...the nightmare she went through...had them on and they fit tight, didn't breathe, she started to sweat, the pants were sticking to her, she had to go to the bathroom and after much ado managed to get them down, but then couldn't get them back up at all. What a nightmare. So, I'll pass, thanks.

Kswl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

I can believe that about Spanks v leather leggings…I saw some in a store and don’t understand how anybody could get them on to begin with.

• Kitchenwitch111
    last month

My BFF bought some vegan leather pants. She said they were hot - not sexy hot but hot to wear. I also don't think that they fit her well - they bag out at the front when she sits. I can't even stand to have a vegan leather handbag -- makes my arm sweat!

I love leather jackets and good handbags and I had real leather pants about 20 years ago and they were awesome - perfect with a cashmere sweater at winter parties. Unfortunately, even though they were what I thought were a classic cut, (they were expensive and I thought they'd last forever!) they don't look right today. Maybe it's me - 20 years is a long time for an old bod!

• OllieJane
    last month

I have some Spanx brand jeans and black leggings. They aren't hard to put on at all. You need to get the right size. I love the jeans especially. Their leggings are thick-which is a good thing.

Now...Spanx for underneath clothes...that's a different story.

Skims are good too.

Kswl thanked OllieJane
  • nicole___
    last month

I tried the vegan plant butter. It was pretty good! 🙋‍♀️ ha ha...yeah it's a price diff I don't understand...ya know...since I'm not in marketing.

I like the look of the pants...but not for me. I still own a mid calf A-line black leather skirt I'm not ready to let go of. When I'm a size 6 again...I'll probably wear it. 👩🏽‍🦳

Kswl thanked nicole___
  • terezosa / terriks
    last month

Some of the comments reminded me of this Friends episode.😂

Kswl thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

😂 (the other ladies in the hair salon are looking at me suspiciously!)

• eld6161
    last month

I recalled Candace Cima reviewing a white jacket but found this instead.

Perhaps look at this brand of liquid leather?

Made from wood pulp!

Kswl thanked eld6161
  • pricklypearcactus
    last month

If I'm remembering correctly, I feel like leather pants were in during the 90s or maybe 2000s and I think those are the styles we're seeing cycling back in. But today many people are concerned about animal welfare and environment and so the term "vegan leather" is a clever marketing term to sell fake leather clothing. I imagine maybe if it's high quality it might be an ok garment / ok fabric. Though I would have serious concerns about breathabaility and was absolutely picturing the same Friends scene as terezosa.

Kswl thanked pricklypearcactus
  • terezosa / terriks
    last month

Remember when we called it "pleather?"

Kswl thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Feathers11
    last month

A friend wears a vegan leather straight skirt in fall/winter with turtleneck sweater and boots. It looks nice on her. She didn't choose it as an animal statement (her boots are leather), but because she likes the style.

I wouldn't wear vegan because it doesn't seem breathable, and whether or not that's true, it is my impression. The thought that runs through my mind is "sticky."

I bought what was coined a "vegan suede" shirt at Banana Repulic last fall, but returned it. It didn't seem worth the cost.

Kswl thanked Feathers11
  • Jilly
    last month

The thought of wearing leather/plastic pants here in Texas makes me want to go curl up in my freezer and cry.

— Signed, Hot flashes are ruining my life.

Kswl thanked Jilly
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

• Feathers11
    last month

Jilly, like an underwire bra on a humid day. Blech!

Kswl thanked Feathers11
  • gsciencechick
    last month

I had red leather pants in the 80's and they were amazing!

I do have a pair of the faux leather leggings I bought from CVG but I haven't worn them out yet. Probably our next concert. Why not? Life is short.

Kswl thanked gsciencechick
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

I remember Naugahyde and the cute little Nauga mascot!

adding… that liquid leather fabric looks interesting. I kind of like their signature jacket. The fabric pants would be far more wearable than either (p)leather but they still look skin tight. I do not want to foist a topographical map of my body onto the eyes of the world!

• Specific ibex
    last month

I bought a ‘vegan leather’ midi length skirt from Mango 2+ years ago after seeing them for a couple of years. I only wear it during the fall and winter, but it’s pretty comfortable and has some stretch. I wouldn’t choose it over well worn jeans for a day at home, but it isn’t an ordeal to wear and works well with sweaters, shirts, flats, boots, etc.

Kswl thanked Specific ibex
  • dedtired
    last month

So what finally happened to Ross?

Kswl thanked dedtired
  • mojomom
    last month

At age 69, I have and sometimes wear Velvet (brand) faux leather leggings, but always with a tunic type top, either velvet or cashmere. The leggings are very comfortable and, just as important, dog hair doesn’t adhere.

Kswl thanked mojomom
  • Olychick
    last month

That Friend's scene was hilarious! Makes me want to watch the series again. That's how I feel sometimes trying to pull up a wet one piece bathing suit!

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • bbstx
    last month

I loved Ultrasuede when it was all the rage. I suppose today it would be called ”Vegan Suede.” But then it became microsuede; then microfiber; then they started covering sofas and recliners in it. And about that time it became cheap and ugly.

Kswl thanked bbstx
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last month

One of my biker friends worn a pair black (faux?) leather pants to a Christmas party one year, she looked great, she is in her 50's, size 2-4. I have 5 pairs of leather pants in different colors (black, pink, red, baby blue and dark blue) for cool weather riding, they are not leggings. During the summer I have a pair plain dirt bike riding pants that I love (no dirt bikes in my collection). I have 10+ leather coats/jackets, most of them are fur lined or fur trimmed, only 1 is a leather riding jacket.

I could try Velvet (brand) faux leather leggings, they're 100% cotton. Thanks mojomom.

Kswl thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Lars
    last month

I bought some clear plastic pants in the 1990s to wear to the Fetish Ball, but I ended up wearing a zebra head outfit that I made instead. I had made the zebra outfit for a friend at work, but it turned out that he is allergic to horses and couldn't wear it, and so I lent him my plastic pants ( I made some Lycra and lamé underwear lined with silk velvet to go with the plastic pants) and I wore the zebra outfit. Some people from a German fetish magazine at the ball asked me if they could take my photo, and so I allowed them. It's possible that a photo of me ended up in their magazine.

At work, we produced faux leather that was very soft, and we sold it by the yard. I have a small bolt of it in an off-white color that I have not yet used, but I think it is very nice. I could make myself a jacket with it, but it's not cold enough here to wear it. We used it at work for wrapping furniture tops and for upholstery. I think we offered faux suede also, but I do not have any of that, although our faux leather was just as soft and pliable. I made real black leather panties for the warehouse foreman at work also - he said he wanted to wear them for his wife.

Kswl thanked Lars
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Lars for the win!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

Lars, love your creativity! But I really cracked up with the black leather panties for the fella! I would've loved to see the expression on her face when she saw them!

• HU-163897337
    last month

Hmmm she may have liked them! 😉

Kswl thanked HU-163897337
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

So this is the way the universe works: I see many people in leather and leather-ish pants, jackets and skirts in Atlanta. Some look great, some look meh. All look very current, and some styles have me wondering whether I should dip my toe into this particular fashion pool. I post some questions here, receive some wonderful replies, and think well, if I see something cute I’ll try it— but am not looking for anything in particular.

The next thing i know, (p)leather garments are being marketed to me in a full frontal assault of ads and youtube suggestions. I watched a YT video, clicked on a link and ordered a pair of black slim fit ”vegan leather” pants. (You’ll see them next week.) Meanwhile today I went to the only really nice wonen’s boutique in town and as I am trying things on the salesperson suggests a pair of “brown trousers” that are on sale and hands them through the doorway and they are ”faux” leather.! I try them on. They are cute, They are comfortable. They fit perfectly….the Gods Have Spoken!

But the gods were not finished with me.. Settling up I notice a beautiful beige top that on closer inspection is the same faux leather. Back to the fitting room… another hit! And on my final pass back to the front I see a leather/ dyed calf hair cuff bracelet in LEOPARD. The shopping gods were finally willing to let me go after I also spotted a cute black leather and straw summer bag and a white cotton Michael Stars blouse.

That is how I went from seeing pleather on Wednesday and ending up with two articles of it in hand and another on order by 3 pm Friday!

• Tina Marie
    last month

kswl you are too funny. Yes, I can imagine that Atlanta clothing styles are quite different from my little corner of the world. I very rarely see leather clothing in our area. Looking forward to seeing your finds!

Kswl thanked Tina Marie
  • teeda
    last month

Lars, I'm curious about the zebra head costume. Was it real fur? Is that why your co-worker was allergic? Sounds like a pretty amazing costume!

Kswl thanked teeda
  • eld6161
    last month

KSWl, you have to share your new pleather outfit!

Teeda, I wondered that too.

Kswl thanked eld6161
  • gsciencechick
    last month

Yay, kswl! 👏 I love the look with the leopard cardigan!

Kswl thanked gsciencechick
  • Funkyart
    last month

I have always liked the look-- especially in colors other than black (not sure why). I think the brown looks great on you and will work with a lot of your wardrobe. I am a little surprised by how much I like the top too! It is darling!

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Funky I was really attracted by the color of the top, and was also surprised at how much I liked itt. This is not my usual style, I am venturing out ….. No more uniform dressing for KSWL 😎

• petalique
    last month

You look great, Kswl.

If the ”vegan leather” pants fit tighly, rememner that they don’t breathe. Then anyone wearing them might want to first take a paper or leather punch to some of the close areas.

Maybe stock up on ”Lumē as well.

A few years ago while perusing a Job Lots, I spotted a huge bundle of BS brown plether. I didn’t know what I was going to do with it. I may make a sort of slipcover for one of the Ekornes recliners (back and head area protector. There is a lot of the stuff.

Here is Neil Diamond, circa 1976 in Australia.

Kswl thanked petalique
  • teeda
    last month

Those slacks look great on you Kswl, and I love the outfits you put together! I like the look a lot, but know they'd be too hot for me. Just about everything is too hot for me!

Kswl thanked teeda
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Teeda! I think they are meant to be worn in cool to cold weather, certainly not in late spring or summer. Wearing them around the house they were very comfortable; the reverse side is some kind of soft knit fabric, and these fit pretty well. AND they are machine washable on delicate and hang to dry, as is the top.

Lol, Petalique— who knew the late Neil Diamond and I have so much in common??

• eld6161
    last month

They look really good! Slim but not tight.

Kswl thanked eld6161
  • Irish2
    last month

The outfits you put tigether all look great but I will say my favorite is the one with your new leopard sweater. It’s good to step out of our comfort zone once in a while says she who bought the moto jacket from Talbots.

Kswl thanked Irish2
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Good for you, Irish, I bet you look great in it! What color did you get?

• Irish2
    last month

@KSWL They only had the black at the time i purchased it in December but now they are showing it in rattan for Spring. I don’t really think I need another. It’s a fun jacket and I usually wear it with a t-neck and black or gray EF wool slacks. I was hesitant to buy because of my age (> 70) but suprisingly have received positive feedback from both friends and family.

*gasp* I no longer dye/highlight my hair so the

jacket in black (pleather) looks best with my shades of gray.

Kswl thanked Irish2
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

I’ll bet it looks great with gray and your hair ❤️ I took a peek at the moto in rattan…. it may be just the thing for someone who already has too many jackets in black 🤔 Is the jacket very pliable?

• Irish2
    last month

Kswl The jacket is a soft as butter! I went to bed thinking her (you) family and friends would think she went off the deep end if she bought the light jacket and wore it to a church function with her new brown leather pants! It would def be a 360° from your very ”classic” wardrobe.

Kswl thanked Irish2
  • Lars
    last month

Teeda, the outfit was made from real zebra scraps that I collected at work when clients ordered zebra upholstered dining chairs.

There was a zebra head in the back of this, and I made a hat out of a zebra mane, which I especially liked. Heads, manes, and tails were never used in our upholstery, and so I collected quite of few of these scraps.

Kswl - Love your photos!!!

Kswl thanked Lars
  • Olychick
    last month

Fab outfit, but OMG who would want to kill zebras for adornment of their homes?

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

Oly, the fact that we no longer do that is proof that people are still evolving. I hate that so many vintage fur coats are left unused or thrown away and wish there was some way to visibly designate them as pre-1965 (just to pick a year at random). Then maybe people would not feel so bad about wearing vintage fur— and would not incur judgment when they did.

Thank you Lars, and likewise!

Irish, after 50 years of me wearing exactly the same thing they are often shocked nowadays. They were shocked when I got a pair of jeans last year! And TBH, I like shocking the fam 😈

• Funkyart
    last month

Irish, I am sure it looks great on you! The rattan color sounds great too -- love a classic look with a twist!

I really like a moto style jacket -- and the style seems to work for so many different body types. I have gotten so many compliments on my winter moto jacket but I also have some in knit, felted wool and linen. I think my next moto jacket will actually be leather 😎

Kswl thanked Funkyart