Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Who cooks with oyster sauce?

eld6161
last month

I want to make a new recipe. Chicken and broccoli that calls for oyster sauce.

Is it fishy? What brand should I look for? Can it just be left since the recipe only requires 1 tablespoon?

TIA

Comments (20)

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

If you've had a reasonable exposure to Chinese food of different styles, you've certainly had it before.

In a way, think of it as being used like Worchestershire sauce but the flavor is very different. It's like a condiment added always in a small amount to enhance flavor. It's not particularly fishy and because only a small amount is used, you won't taste it specifically. It's like adding a dab of anchovy paste to a dish - it greatly enhances the aggregate flavor of the dish and its own flavor isn't discernable.

Forget what the label says - think of it as "brown sauce" and add what the recipe specifies.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

Addendum.

Something that's a powerhouse of flavor that can be added to many things is Asian Fish Sauce. This one has a less than delectable source, as it's made from fermented anchoves. If you taste it directly, it can be a little fishy. BUT, it's packed with umami effect and that's why it's used. Soups, pasta sauces, beef stew (yes, beef stew), and many other such delights benefit from just a small amount of fish sauce. You won't taste it at all but its effect is stunning. You can use it whenever a recipe calls for a small amount of anchovy paste, or anytime you're making something saucy.

eld6161 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Judi
    last month

I use Lee Kum Kee Premium. If you're only using 1 tablespoon it's probably not going to make a big difference.

eld6161 thanked Judi
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

It is pretty much a staple of most Chinese cuisine, certainly stir fry sauces (Beef and broccoli, low mein, egg foo young "gravy", etc.) It is a condiment (along with hoison sauce and soy sauce) I would not be without for any Asian cooking. No fishy taste - just adds umami

If you don't think you will use it up, you can substitute with teriyaki sauce, soy and hoison sauce or Worcestershire.

eld6161 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last month

Unbeknownst to most people, Worcestershire sauce (mispelled by me above) contains anchovies. It's a good example of an ingredient some may not want to eat on its own but that adds a punch to what it's added to. Yes, it's for umami.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    last month

Garden, for whatever reason, I don't like hoison sauce.

Judi, I actually saw that video but those brands are not readily avaiable for me.

Elmer, good to know. Now I will definitely use it!

• nicole___
    last month
    last modified: last month

@eld161..Good thread. I also have never used fish sauce or the like. I didn't want to buy a whole bottle.

@Elmer J Fudd...really.....worcestershire I have on hand.

eld6161 thanked nicole___
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last month

I'm reluctant to mention Kenji Lopez-Alt's name too many times but his beef stew recipe on Serious Eats is seriously good. Easy to find, search for Kenji with All American Beef Stew with Serious Eats.

The article discusses his use of what he refers to as an "umami bomb" to supercharge the flavor. The recipe includes "all the usual suspects" for umami- small amounts of tomato paste, soy sauce, mushrooms, anchovies (or fish sauce as an alternative) and Worcestershire sauce. And an interesting ingredient or two, one of which is unflavored gelatin.

Highly recommended.

• Judi
    last month

Speaking of Kenji -- love the simplicity of his Buttered Lo Mein with Oyster Sauce.

eld6161 thanked Judi
  • ci_lantro
    last month

Not fishy at all and essential, IMO, in dishes like Beef and Broccoli. Likely true for Chicken & Broccoli. A reasonable substitute would be Marmite or Vegemite. But I doubt that you have those if you don't have Oyster Sauce.

Vegemite/ Marmite (more intense than Oyster Sauce) is my go-to umami bomb in dishes like Beef Stew, Chili, 'goulash'--the bastardized American version.

eld6161 thanked ci_lantro
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last month

One of the child care givers that I used for a long time was British - and if I remember correctly, she would give the kids Marmite spread on toast for a snack.

eld6161 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Lars
    last month

Oyster sauce is very sweet. If I did not have any, I would consider substituting pomegranate molasses, which would work well with chicken and broccoli. I would not substitute Marmite or Vegemite, as neither of those are sweet, and neither is Worcestershire sauce. If you have it, you could substitute Okonomi sauce (used for Okonomiyaki) or Teriyaki sauce. If necessary, you could substitute BBQ sauce, if that is all you have.

I use Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand oyster sauce. https://www.instacart.com/products/2581490-lee-kum-kee-oyster-sauce-18-oz?retailerSlug=marukai-market

• colleenoz
    last month

I would not sub Worcestershire sauce for oyster sauce. The flavour and viscosity are quite different. I use a lot of oyster sauce as it goes in all of my stir fry noodle dishes, as well as san choi bao. I’m not a fan of fishy flavours, but I’ve never noticed them in oyster sauce or fish sauce. Fish sauce has a very powerful smell but it’s divine in pad Thai for instance.

eld6161 thanked colleenoz
  • bragu_DSM 5
    last month

I use it in kim chi

eld6161 thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • petalique
    last month

Did you make your chix and broccoli yet?

I use oyster sauce often. Keep in fridge.

eld6161 thanked petalique
  • Judi
    last month

Visited my favorite Asian market today and thought of you when I walked down an aisle looking for fish sauce. Tons of oyster sauce!

eld6161 thanked Judi
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    last month

Petal, I'll be making it week.

• ci_lantro
    last month

Another substitute for oyster sauce that I would use is something like Kitchen Banquet or B-V. Of course neither of these is sweet. Nothing that adding a bit of sweetener wont fix. That is if you want sweet or less sweet than oyster sauce. In fact, I nearly wrecked the garlic noodles last night because I got a bit too heavy handed with the oyster sauce and ended up with too sweet ndls. So be careful using it from both the sweet and salty profiles.

I do keep Oyster sauce on hand because I use it in a number of dishes. I have Lee Kum Kee Panda Oyster Sauce. From an Asian food store. My WalMart has oyster sauce but in smaller containers. I get a larger one from the Asian food store so I don't run out as often. Stays on a pull out next to the cooker along with the Worcestershire, soy sauces, vinegars, etc. Have never refrigerated it--it is quite salty so doesn't need to be, IMO.

• Judi
    last month

Certain sauces have a better chance of maintaining quality and flavor if they're refrigerated. I refrigerate oyster sauce along with fish sauce, soy sauce, and Worcestershire. Vinegar is fine in the cabinet.

https://www.seriouseats.com/chinese-pantry-essentials#toc-oyster-sauce