Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

UPDATE: Perbelle vs ……

Kswl
last month
last modified: 26 days ago

******For UPDATE skip to featured answer just below the original post****

I’ve been searching for a year for a light foundation type product with decent SPF and have tried many with mixed results. The latest was Perbelle, which I have worn now about 8 times. I was really anxious to try the Chanel Fresh Tint and had to drive an hour to get it. For some reason it does not look on me like it looks on the many youtubers who have applied it on camera. I tried it on a washed and moisturized face, on a washed face, on a face washed and with primer, and washed, moisturized and with primer. It just does not sink into my skin the way it appears to do for others. It looks like I am wearing foundation but paradoxically offers no coverage whatsoever. I have tried applying it with my fingers and the brush and like the fingers better but it’s still not a good look.

I had also ordered another CC cream, Erborian, in a travel size. This is a product like Perbelle but although the cream is all white in the tube it comes in a few different shades. I did not like it at all as it seemed to muddy my complexion despite that the color was the only really good choice for my skin.

So far I like the Perbelle best but it’s by no means the product of my dreams. Next up is the Le Teinte Velvet that Funky has used with such success. All the Chanel products and the Erborian require additional sunscreen though, and I recently bought a clear version from Aesop that is great but unfortunately adds another step to the morning routine.

Comments (21)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

Thanks for doing all the testing and sharing your reviews! Most helpful!

Kswl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Funkyart
    last month

I am sorry the Les Beiges Fresh Tint didnt work for you-- I have been curious but somewhere along the way, I saw reviews that made me think it wasn't going to work for me. I don't remember details but your thorough review has convinced me.

I am totally smitten and committed to the Ultra la Teinte Velvet for me-- so I hope it works for you also. It starts with a great color match but I mostly I love how light (and soft) it feels yet still covers so many of my flaws and marks. Crossing fingers for you!

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • HU-163897337
    last month

Well darn! i hope you find something you like. i actually prefer using my own sunscreen instead of having it in my makeup. I’m sensitive to some sunscreen ingreduents plus i want a high spf. Takes just a minute to apply ro my face and i continue it down my neck.

Kswl thanked HU-163897337
  • rubyclaire
    last month

I have been a big fan Elta MD's Elements Tinted Sunscreen which has a 44 SPF and oil-free. They have recently replaced that product with one with a 50 SPF but contains canola oil. I will buy the old formula where I can find it and try and get a sample of the new option at some point. I use it in place of any foundation on a daily basis. When I do use foundation, I like the Armani Luminous Silk foundation but will try the Chanel Ultra Teinte Velvet next time I am near a Chanel counter.

What I am currently using that has been reformulated.

Reformulated product - no longer oil-free.

Will be following along to see if you find something you love!

• jill302
    last month

Another Ultra la Teinte Velvet fan, hoping that it plays well with your skin.

Thank you for the information on Perbelle, all the Facebook videos made me wonder. I also tried the Les Beiges Fresh Tint with no success.

Kswl thanked jill302
  • bpath
    last month

This reminds me of a Cook’s magazine article, where the writer was testing beef tenderloin recipes, and said it was the most expensive project he’d ever done. Do you get sample sizes? Always travel sizes?

Kswl thanked bpath
  • Funkyart
    last month

it *used to be* that the chanel counters would give little sample pots -- enough to try it for a week or even a little more. Chanel themselves no longer offer this service but it is possible some of the major dept store counters do?

All my local and semi-local stores stopped carrying Chanel in store -- but if I wanted to try something new, I'd call Nordstrom and ask. Also, while I have never done it, they all take returns on products that dont work for you.

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • OllieJane
    last month

Yes, they give sample pots. I always try a sample of a foundation first before buying, unless its from Ulta-where you can return if you don't like it. Although, our Ulta doesn't carry Chanel. And, I don't wear Chanel currently. I have learned with experience in years past, not to buy a foundation with sunscreen as they never look the best. I always buy sunscreen separate and put it on a few mins before foundation, allowing it to sink in.

Kswl thanked OllieJane
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

No sample sizes at Chanel, and nothing smaller than regulation size Perbelle, either 😕 But, if I can find a product I LOVE and loves me back it will be worth the cost.

• OllieJane
    last month
    last modified: last month

Sample(s)...as in, they make you a sample of a foundation you are interested in at the counter and they put it in a small plastic container to take home and try. Just in case and next time you will know-they have always been happy to do that for me-even though most of the time they ask me if I'd like them to make me a sample to take with me.

• barncatz
    last month
    last modified: last month

Funky "influenced" me to try Ultra la Teinte Velvet and I also love it. I had tried Jones Road foundation, for one, but although I love their bronzer, I felt like I was slapping a pudding cup on my face. (OT, but kind of related, is anyone watching HBO's The Regime? My comment made me think about the chest-slapping scene). Anyway, hope the Chanel foundation works as well for you as it does for me.

Kswl thanked barncatz
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    last month

I tried several Jones Road products also and they were just too weird and sticky for me. I liked the colors but the formulation needs work.

• Sueb20
    last month

I actually like the Jones Rd foundation. The miracle balm or whatever it’s called does feel a bit sticky so if I use it, I use a tiny amount. The container will last until I’m 90, I think. I like the pencil concealer too, for sun spots, but doubt it would work well for, say, under eyes.

Kswl thanked Sueb20
  • SEA SEA
    26 days ago

Really glad you updated!

I use DRMTLGY universal tint spf. I like it. Super easy to use. Done in 5 seconds! Big con for me, and it's just my preference, it's so dang shiny. I know so many people want that 'dewy' finish. I don't. But, I still use it. At times I may dust on some powder foundation on top if it's bothering me that much. Most days I just leave it as is. I do use my serums and creams first, then put their tinted sunscreen on.

It's definately in my line up, but I use some others as well as I don't want to push my luck with reactions by using the same thing day in and day out.

Really glad the DRMTLGY is getting a thumbs up for you. If you sign up for emails or msgs, they will let you know when big sales are coming up. It's a bit much though, with the msgs...

Kswl thanked SEA SEA
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    26 days ago

The ”dewy” finish is not my favorite either, Sea Sea, so I do use a foundation brush and go over the whole face with a touch of completely translucent powder. Then I use setting spray or just mist with water, which gets rid of any dusty appearance and when it dries it doesn’t look like I have powder or shine. (What we go through to appear ”natural”…) I really moisturize my face well at night so using Drmtlgy in the am it’s one and done. Except for the concealer, blush, powder, brows and eyeliner, of course. 🙄 Hey, at least I don’t use eye shadow 😁

• jb1586
    26 days ago

Thanks for this update. I still hadn’t gotten around to ordering the Perbelle, and now I may just hold off on that, and order the DRMTLGY BB cream instead.

Kswl thanked jb1586
  • Tina Marie
    26 days ago

I don't like dewey/shiney but I like a cream makeup for the moisture. I have dry to normal skin but I think as women get older, some foundations and powders can make the skin look older and drier. I will have to look at the DRMTLGY cream, although I like color science facial sunscreen. I also moisturize and use vit c serum before putting on any makeup.

Kswl thanked Tina Marie
  • OutsidePlaying
    26 days ago

For close to 20 years I have used Revision Intellishade Original formula tinted moisturizer with spf-45. I have never really liked any BB creams i tried as all of them seem to look too shiny and feel oily to me. Since I retired I don’t even wear anything except my usual serum and moisturizer (Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base) on most days. The Intellishade is a bit pricey but a tube will last nearly a year. If I will be out I put a little on my nose, cheeks and chin for the spf. I add cream blush and dab a bit of sheer powder if I need to lessen the shine.

I also have another makeup base I use if i need more coverage for going out and being more fully ’made up’. I’ve been meaning to try a Chanel sample because Funkyart’s skin always looks so flawless with it.

I’m 75 and need all the help i can get, but people do say my skin looks great so that is indeed a compliment at any age.

Kswl thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    25 days ago

I hate to be a nag LOL-- but from all you have said, kswl, I really think you too will love the chanel ultra teinte velvet. There is no dewiness at all (a deal breaker for me), it blends well (i use fingers and may finish with brush but really isnt necessary-- never sponge) and most importantly it covers any spots/discoloring/patches and it blurs ALL my flaws. It also feels so great on -- not only on my skin but when I touch my face, it really does feel velvety.

I understand how important a color match is-- I have been told that most white women are a B30 ... in fact, a number of years ago they sent out a sample in Vogue or Allure or one of those and they sent B30. IME though, the women I know wear B40 (my hair stylist and my niece). I wear B50 and blend it with B40 in the winter. I definitely stick with the B (beige) vs BR (beige rose) because I have a lot of pink/red in my complexion already.

Can you call a Nordstrom or NM and have them send you a few sample pots? They don't offer them to purchase but in my experience (granted it was in the past), they were very happy to make up a little tester pot for me to try. In fact, my "home" Nordstrom in King of Prussia used to keep a file of my purchases/likes/dislikes and would call/email (personal email not mass emails) when they had a new product they thought I'd like. I was a fiend for their old tweed blushes which sold out very quickly and they would call whenever they got one of my colors in stock. GREAT service! Of course, that is dependent on the individuals. I did not get as great of service from Nordstrom at Mall of America/Minneapolis or Baltimore.

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

I will call Nordstrom’s today and ask, Funky! All I need is a tiny amount and I will know. My complexion is neutral / pink .. whenever I try anything with even a hint of yellow I look jaundiced 😳