Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresag11

Small, but Mighty Living Room Advice

theresag11
last month
last modified: last month

Small, but mighty living room in need of end table ideas please. I like/prefer contemporary style. I do have a slight fear of metals with my coffee table, but I’m being open minded for the perfect end tables. I have a couple of ideas, but not sure that glass is kid friendly (hence the police car and panda as part of our decor). Please help me so I can stop looking up end tables during my free time!

Comments (15)

• anj_p
    last month

I would go for something heavier than anything you've shown. We have a 6 year old and bought a table similar to those. It lasted a few weeks before it went away after damaging the wall multiple times and taking a chunk out of our trim as it repeatedly crashed to the ground.

theresag11 thanked anj_p
  • theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Anj, that is great feedback since our little one is almost 5! Do you think something like this cube that‘s 35 lbs is good as far as being heavy? But, also, how are they style-wise? I am worried about them getting scratches though. Maybe wood or cement is better? Thanks!

• theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Here is another idea. These are concrete on top and are 25 lbs each (14w x 14d x 20h). Would they go well?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

What about modern ceramic stools/tables? Something with a bit of color to brighten up the space?

Balance Stool Accent Table, Mint · More Info

Home Square Small Transitional Ceramic Side Table in Azure Blue - Set of 2 · More Info

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

these are both from Wayfair. C tables are great to move around where neaded... especially with a sectional.

Is the recliner the reading chair?

I'd put the floor lamp on the end of the sectional/inside the room for light.

• theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Sabrina, I love the look of those ceramic tables! And, my 5 year old might not be able to knock them over! Wasn’t sure if I should do round or rectangular end tables with the round coffee table?

• theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Lyn, yes, the recliner is kind of a reading chair. So, you think move the floor lamp to the other side of the sectional? I was thinking once I settle in end tables, I could get a table lamp for one for one of the end tables. Would a table lamp work next to the recliner vs the other end of the sectional?

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

without seeing the whole space, I wonder if you could move the sectional and create a conversation area rather than lining the wall with furniture? the longer piece of the sectional under the windows with the shorter side in place of the recliner...

Do you have room to put the recliner on the other side of the sectional?

I would spin the rug the long way so it creates a more closed in space for conversation.

Any plans for drapery panels for the windows? Just a thought.

• theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Lyn, thanks for the advice! I thought about moving the sectional, the there really isn’t enough space. The dining table/chairs would be right beside it. Also, there isn’t enough room to move the recliner to other side toward the corner. The house is a rental, so I won’t do drapes for now. The first commenter mentioned the C end table possibly being too light with having a kid — still trying to figure out if I need heavy weight concrete tables or what! :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month
    • Add drapery panels to the windows to add texture and color. It will help with acoustics also.
    • Your room needs larger art or perhaps multi piece wall decor
    • Eliminate the torchier and replace with arched floor lamp that will add sparkle to your area
    • Place a small floor lamp near the recliner for reading.
    • You don't need end tables as much as you need drum tables to hold a drink etc.
    • With all the rectangular bulky seating, select round tables to soften the appearance of the room.

• theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Beverly, thanks so much for sending all of these examples!!! I love the look of the drum style tables, similar to what Sabrina mentioned. I had considered an arched floor lamp, but wasn’t sure if it would look weird with the ugly lighting that is typical of rental homes?

• theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Could I do white drum tables or should I stick close to the colors of the coffee table?

• claire larece
    last month

I would place the recliner on the other side of the sectional and can you show what whole room looks like?

• claire larece
    last month

also can you turn the rug 90 degrees towards the right

• theresag11
    Original Author
    last month

Claire, thanks for your comments! The recliner won’t fit to the right of the sectional because the tv and console is located there. It is about 3 feet away. Unfortunately, the space is not very big. It’s a rental home.