Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_331063272

Love or Hate..... your Pull-Out Trash Kitchen Cabinet......

C.
last month
last modified: last month

Having struggled with my old pull-out trash cabinet, I said I would NEVER do it again.....

However.... people have convinced me to give it another try..... for my new house build.

Well..... I do NOT want some old dinky, rickety, cheap little can.... I was something good+strong.

What's a good brand? ..... and..... what size should I get? Do you ever wish yours was smaller or larger? Please share your experiences with me.

Comments (82)

• jo mu
    last month

Get one that looks like a metal rack i love mine and it was the best thing about no longer living in a rental ...I hated changing the garbage bag in the free standing one

The rack is light weight and strong and when throwing some in if you miss it falls on the floor

• jo mu
    last month

Idk what people mean about hygiene my simple human trash smelled more than the cabinet...its an enclosed cabinet not connected to other drawers

• vinmarks
    last month

Bugs and odors? I have had a trash pull out in current house for 6 years and in previous house for 15 years and never had bugs. As far as odors all garbage will smell at some point regardless if it is a pull out or stand alone can. I have never had odors from the pullout permeate other cabinets or the kitchen.

• Lynn Lou
    last month

I love ours. We have rev a shelf pull out with metal rack. As jo mu mentioned, anything that misses the can ends up on the floor and easily seen. Ours is 18” wide with drawer above. It fits (2) 34 qt trash bins (trash and recycle). We keep zip lock bags in drawer. We don’t keep trash in there long enough to create smells or bugs.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last month

I have one in the Ikea kitchen that was here when I moved in........I love having a pullout garbage, but this one is kind of an odd size, and they didn't leave the trash cans so I had trouble finding a fit. I now have one for garbage and one for recycling, with room for cleaning supplies, but everything's kind of loose.

In a previous home, I had a a Hafele 3-bin system installed in a renovation, and it was perfect. https://www.hafele.ca/en/product/three-compartment-waste-bin-1-x-14-and-2-x-10-litres-2-x-10-and-1-x-20-litres-hailo-zargen-cargo-moovit/P-00857060/#SearchParameter=&@QueryTerm=*&Category=0KIKAOsF9OsAAAF.RM3iJvmA&@P.FF.followSearch=10000&PageNumber=1&OriginalPageSize=12&PageSize=12&Position=4&OrigPos=106&ProductListSize=101&PDP=true It was more solid when pulling it in and out, and the containers were not loose within the drawer.

• jo mu
    last month

Mine is like lynns I love it

• btydrvn
    last month

I like good sized trash cans,but the “wet garbage”can …gets odorous before it is even close to full…so I keep newspapers handy in the cabinet where the cans are stored…and add a layer of paper over the top of the wet garbage every 6”” or so..this soaks up moisture and odors perfectly..making a much more pleasant closed garbage cabinet ..

• acm
    last month

Best thing is for dog owners -- no knocking over the trash or nosing through what's in there. It might as well not exist.

• jaja06
    last month

I love ours with the servo drive. And I am hoping the dogs never learn how to open it 😬

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

Good point about dogs!! If my trash starts to smell and it’s not full, I empty all the bathroom trash cans into it and the one from the laundry room as well and take it out.

• T T
    last month

@Renee M, it would be very hard for a kid or adult to get something into the back of the cabinet instead of the can. Worst case if they miss is that it ends up on the floor or in the recycling / back bin. We never had any problems with kids missing the trash can and getting something nasty stuck in the cabinet. Just thought I'd share this in case you're open to reconsidering a trash pullout in the kitchen. The trash pullout with Blum servo drive is one of the most useful options we added. That and having soft close drawers and doors, is probably what we care about the most. Other options like the spice rack pullout are just okay....not sure we would do that one again.

• artemis78
    last month

Agreed--our pullout has been put through the ringer with kids and it doesn't pull out far enough that they can drop anything behind it. The only occasional issue has been when someone has emptied the trash and a kid doesn't notice that there isn't a new bag in the bin yet and drops something directly in--but that's an issue with freestanding trash cans in other rooms, too. The bins lift out of the pullout so they can be cleaned when needed. Ours is a double pullout under our sink, so it was the best way to maximize the space in a small kitchen. The dog factor was a bonus!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I'm reminded of a car crash at the side of the road. You shouldn't look, but you do.

the OP has a whole other thread on layout, and this separate post about garbage.

I don't care where you live, whether warm and humid, or in the middle of a Fargo N.D winter:

Trash and garbage are just what you think. How and where you place it, until it goes to the final OUT destination, is a matter of temporary convenience .

The word is temporary for all trash. Bedroom cans, bath cans, kitchen.

You take a big bag each day, and you empty all of them, from everywhere......final destination is kitchen and out it ALL goes and all cans are empty.

There is nothing attractive about trash, there is no reason to hang onto it. Any location for the interim is simply very short lived, and very temporary. It should not hang around long enough to smell ugly, be visually or nasally offensive. Every single morning, or evening it is all out. If something reeks in the interim? It is out sooner.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last month

That's a lot of unnecessary trash bags. I'm not offended by the appearance of garbage in the garbage can, and I can happily live with it until trash day.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Whatever : ) makes you happy.

If you hate the number of bags? Ask what else you spend money on lol.

I just love using a powder room in someones home and seeing all the snotty Kleenex and god know what else in the trash "awaiting trash day" when someone has knocked themselves out over which paint or wallpaper..............................

• shirlpp
    last month

Putting garbage in a can that's in a cabinet would drive me insane! My garbage can is pretty much in the same location as Debbi Washburn described.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last month

" Ask what else you spend money on lol. "

It's not the money, it's the extra plastic that will never break down, live in the landfill forever, and contribute to microplastics in the environment. .

• HU-910663146
    last month

I have a big Simple Human trash can that I think is beautiful. I've seen other ones at malls that I thought were even prettier, but I didn't want to spend $1k on a trash can.

This whole thread is a horses for courses thing.

What I do gather from it though, is that trash cans in cabinets appear to be more work (more frequent changing) than my big can. The additional work is partly because the size of the bin in the cabinet is smaller, but the other part of the additional work is the effort to keep the garbage from stinking, whether that is layering newspaper on it and/or removing it daily. Daily trash takeout isn't going to kill me, but making life easier for me by having something that is less maintenance makes more sense to me.

Again, horses for courses.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last month

Love them.

• kculbers
    last month

When I renovated my kitchen a few years ago, I decided against a pull out trash can, in lieu of more storage in my kitchen cabinetry. I chose a nice free standing “Simplehuman” trash can.

• S M
    last month

I love ours, pullout holds 2 pretty large cans. I was concerned about potential odor so I did get lift up lids for the cans so I don’t see or smell the trash until I empty it

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

As a friend always says?

"whatever blows your skirt up!" : )

• bry911
    last month

What I do gather from it though, is that trash cans in cabinets appear to be more work (more frequent changing) than my big can.

I suspect you have a bit of a confirmation bias there. People typically choose to do smaller trash cans but you can easily fit a 60 liter trash can in a cabinet (which I suspect is the same size or larger than your Simplehuman trash can). People just typically don't want that. The same goes with a lidded trash can. You can even go up to a 94 liter trash can in a cabinet if you really need to, but few people would actually want that. In the end, the reason that people typically choose the size they do has more to do with larger sizes being wasteful than it does with capacity.

My 2 cents... It isn't the convenience, the visuals, the receptacle, etc. that I am chasing.... It is the countertop. Anywhere in my kitchen that I could conveniently put a trash can, would benefit me more if it also had a countertop. If you can manage to put your trash in a convenient location in your kitchen without sacrificing valuable work surface or walkway... cool. I wish I could do that. However, since I haven't managed to accomplish that well yet, I am going to stick with trash in a cabinet.

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    last month

Here in the SF Bay Area, mass invasions of Argentinian ants are a fact of life, especially during winter (poor little ants, too cold and wet outside!) and summer (too hot and dry!). The first place they head is to the garbage cans as a food source (after that, it's the sugar in the pantry...). The easiest, most environmentally friendly way to get rid of them is to deny them that resource, but not so easy when the garbage cans are in a fixed place within cabinets. This is one reason why, in our latest remodel, we ditched the trash cans in cabinets that were in place when we bought the house for a free-standing can. I also found the trash cabinets, with so many cracks and crevices, hard to keep clean and, after twenty years, the pullout mechanisms and tracks were rusty and screechy. That cabinet face was also more beat-up than any of the rest, due to more constant use.

• tfitz1006
    last month

I've had both and I liked both. My pull out garbage/recycling was great. Never had bugs or odors but with a family of six we were emptying it every day or every other day. In my downsize there was no option for adding trash when we refaced the kitchen so I bought a Simple Human can and I like it a lot.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

I've seen too many walls and cabinets damaged by trash can lids, I also had a client who claimed that pull out trash cans were 'terrible' so had a freestanding trash can in her pantry. Not only would that be a functional nightmare (the pantry was on the opposite side of the kitchen from the sink) but the trash can had worn the finish off the hardwood floors in the corner where it sat. Obviously to each their own.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last month

SimpleHuman make some beautiful and hardy products. I have 2 SimpleHuman trash cans in other rooms.

• btydrvn
    last month

They are very nice especially if you have a super modern setting…also, the other issues with floor scratching should be easily solved with little stick on furniture pads …

• btydrvn
    last month

Years ago I had beautiful (soft) pale golden pine floors….throughout my home..nothing went on those floors without soft stick-on pads!

• artemis78
    last month

@catspa the ants were actually a big reason we wanted the cabinet trash—the hope was that it would help to have no direct contact with the ground. They‘ve never gotten into it (though I will say that for the last year before we renovated we invested in a nice Simple Human trash can to try to seal it better and they didn’t get into that either—we still keep dog food in a SH pet bin and so far so good on that too). But I suspect the far bigger factor is not what kind of trash can, but whether you put food in the trash—we have city composting so everything goes into a countertop bin that is emptied once a day (at least). The cabinet trash bin does not have any food in it and is only emptied once a week unless it fills up.

It is true that the trash cabinet front has more wear than many of the others, though (comparable to the drawers for dishes and snacks, which also get heavy use).

• btydrvn
    last month

I just remembered my compost can is a diaper pail!…works fine still.. after many years..

• course411
    last month

DH and I never had undercounter trash/recycling until this reno. We used something like this, for years:

HATED IT. In 3 different kitchens, it was always across the room from the sink area (the only/nearest place it could fit in each kitchen) and we inevitably dripped liquids onto the floor as we carried refuse over to the container. We had a bad habit of overfilling the very large bin, making it difficult to extract the plastic bag of garbage. The inner rim and lid got spattered with various trash item detritus and they were not all that easy to wipe clean. And, every now and again, we would see ants.

In the reno we added TWO 18" pullouts: one to the left of the main sink with trash & recycling; one on the pantry wall with another trash & recycling. The pantry wall cab keeps non-cooks out of the cooking zone. All of the bins are smaller than the metal stand-alone one was. No more drips on the floor; no more inner lid grody surfaces; no more wrestling matches to extract the plastic bag; and no odors or bugs!

• HU-910663146
    last month

City composing. No food in the trash. Interesting. How does that work?

I compose and recycle as well as have separate garbage can. 4-legged friends get food scraps. Birds get stale bread. I dump the composing in my yard. These days where I live, I question how much value recycling has, given that the item needs to be clean and they don't accept many items and I drive to drop it off (by grocery store so combine trips usually). Hoping that I am helping to reduce the need for landfills but certainly water is wasted and additional gas is expended.

Anyway, my Simple Human can is open to the air, which I imagine most of you would not like. Works for me. Have a pantry for the recycling (paper bag that I reuse as long as I can), and I need to buy a prettier sealed compost bucket when I do my kitchen remodel.

I remember years ago when recyling started in my area how much less garbage there was. With my composting, I am surprised how much goes into that pail. In depends on what you eat/cook of course.

• AnnKH
    last month

Some kitchens - U-shaped especially - simply do not have a place for a free-standing trash can.

• decorpatti
    last month

I love our pull out trash cabinet. It has 2 bins (trash/recycling); pretty standard, it seems. We line them with plastic bags, empty them when necessary, and didn't have any problem with odors or bugs, as if something started to smell, it was time to take it out. For the last 9 months or so, our waste service does not allow food waste in the trash anymore, so we have a stainless canister with tight lid on the counter for banana peels, fruit peels, onion skins, etc., that now goes into the yard waste bin every day or two. Small food scraps, sauces, etc., go in the disposal. My trash and recycling cabinet is right near my sink and range, so it is easy to dispose of paper products, bottles and cans, and other trash: rinse it out, toss it. We used to have a Simple Human can, but the only place for it was at the end of the cabinet run, on the far side of the refrigerator...not nearly as efficient.

• Missy Bee
    last month

I love mine cabinet trash can. Had a double for 25 years, but opted for a single that also holds the box of bags in the back after recent renovation. The bag goes out every day or two and my DH takes it around to the bathrooms and office and collects that trash in the same bag. Things like fat scraps go in a plastic grocery bag direct to the outside bin. I don’t really have a good place for a stand along can like Simple Human. Advice …in any case make sure you can use standard bags….

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

Love it. I have the trash in the front can, bottle returns in the back can. Trash doesn't smell if it's changed in a timely manner. That can be a couple days, or it can be immediately after tossing something stinky into it like fish scraps. Fish is going to stink up anything, freestanding or built-in, its the ammonia smell. How would bugs get in there in the cabinet is always closed?

• Missy Bee
    last month

I have never had bugs in my pull out trash. Never.

• artemis78
    last month

@HU-910663146 our state now requires municipal composting, and our city was one of the early adopters. Each week we have three bins: recyclables, compostables, and garbage. (We also have a backyard compost, although tend not to put much food waste in that these days due to critters.) The city compost takes any food or food-soiled paper/cardboard/etc. (in addition to yard waste) so we scrape plates into it, put scraps from meal prep into it, put any compostable wrappings or containers in, and so on. That covers the vast majority of our food-related trash; what's left is things like a bag from a snack food or the wrapper from a granola bar or the interior bag from a cereal box. Those do go into the pullout trash but don't tend to smell. Very rarely we will have something that does--one grocery store nearby still wraps its fish in plastic inside the paper wrapper, for instance, so if we buy that I usually just put it directly in the outside trash bin. We use one of the bins in the pullout for recycling and the other for garbage. Garbage doesn't tend to fill quickly so just gets emptied on trash day most weeks; recycling is often full sooner than that so gets dumped into the outside bin as needed.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

A remarkable thread.............!!

"and we inevitably dripped liquids onto the floor as we carried refuse over to the container. We had a bad habit of overfilling the very large bin, making it difficult to extract the plastic bag of garbage."

Imagine a small plastic bag ( bath can size AT MOST ) set into an empty coffee can or in a mixing bowl. Set on your counter as one preps or cleans up. Wet refuse, stinky refuse, meat bone, fish bone, fat scraps, chicken gizzards, coffee grounds ......into the bag, tie it off and dispose. Into the garbage beneath the counter, or across the darn kitchen. No drip ,no goo,anywhere. Use the round object 36 inches above your head.

The point of all trash locales and its storage within the home is it is t.e.m,p,o,r,a,r,y.

The sooner it goes to a final destination outside the home? The better. In whatever manner your locale dictates.

When you have not the luxury of space, or even if you do......there is just no point in hanging on to trash- wet, dry, recycle, compost, all..... beyond a day or two and you don't wait for the smell.

• bry911
    last month

I suspect people know how trash works. We also all know how temporary trash is in our kitchen… but so are lots of things in the kitchen. Your pantry is just temporary storage, your refrigerator is temporary storage, plates and bowls are temporary storage, etc. There are many pretty important parts of the kitchen that will not be used any longer than trash… your cooktop for example.

There is a piece of financial advice I give that seems pretty appropriate here: Never make plans for the person that you wish you were, make plans for the person you are. If you don’t take out the trash often, then don’t design a kitchen that only works well if you take out the trash often.

Every person is different, so every kitchen should be different. I wouldn’t like a coffee can near my prep area. It is fine that you do. I actually prefer an open trash can at the end of the island… I just prefer a bigger island more, so use a pull-out cabinet for trash instead.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Well, the food you EAT is temporary, beyond that which fuels it and I am not going there.

For the love of heaven, use what works for you.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last month

" Never make plans for the person that you wish you were, make plans for the person you are. "

An excellent piece of advice, and one too often ignored because of some rules we're supposed to follow. It wasn't until I was in my 40s that I had the brains and courage to design my home for who I was, not who I wished I was or whom others thought I should be. For some things (like my kitchen remodel) I got a lot of negative comments for it, because it wasn't done to fit the "rules" or it would hurt the resale price.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    last month

Newton Kitchens & Design · More Info

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    last month

Newton Kitchens & Design · More Info

• HU-910663146
    last month

Thank you Artemis78 for explaining. Very kind of you!

• C.
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you everybody for your feedback.

I'm not trying to decide between 15" and 18" for my pullout size. Any thoughts?

• artemis78
    last month

I don't think you’ll regret 18” if you have the room, but I’d probably base it more on how it impacts the overall layout. One consideration is whether you’ll want double bins, though—not sure that fits in 15”.

• C.
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Great, 18 inch it shall be.

• bry911
    29 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

JAN, Seriously... Stop being so dramatic. It is a kitchen forum. Whether to go with a trash pull-out or a trash can and what size pull-out to use are standard questions for a kitchen design forum.

You are pretending that the OP's gathering information means that they can't make a decision. That is something completely fabricated by you. The OP is simply asking for the perspective of others to make the decision. That is how most good decisions get made, by considering perspectives and experiences different than your own.

In several different posts you have denigrated this discussion. If you feel that this topic is that unworthy of your vaunted opinion, then just resist the urge to comment on it.

Edit: This was in response to a now deleted post.