Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nvestysly

How to choose a 24" Front Load Washer and Dryer

nvestysly
last month

Over 20 years ago we purchased a Kenmore 24" front load washer and matching dryer. At the time the product line was often referred to as Frigemore because Frigidaire, GE and Kenmore units were all very similar and I think they were actually made by Electrolux. They have served us well with only a few headaches during that time. The controls are simple timer mechanisms. I don't think either have a circuit board or at least they're not overly complex controls. The bearing in the rear drum of the washer is beginning to be noisy and the tub bounces more than it should when the spin cycle starts. I'm handy with repairs and I'm considering spending approximately $500 to replace the rear drum of the washer and the springs and shock absorbers for the drum. In the 20+ years we've owned the products this will be the second time replacing those items.

Should I be considering a replacement set - both washer and dryer? I cringe when thinking about newer units because of the perceived added complexity - digital readouts, circuit boards, who knows what else.

If we do look at new units - 24" in particular - what do you folks think about brands. I'd like to buy something that will last another 20+ years. Electrolux, Bosch, Miele, Asko, other?

Comments (10)

• nvestysly
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the comments. The particular model number of our washer is 417.42142100. I wasn't able to identify a bearing a seal kit for this washer. I typically purchase parts from Fox Appliance - they are a major parts center in my area - and they didn't list a bearing kit, only the rear drum. If you can help me identify the correct repair parts that would be very helpful.

I realize the past repairs are sunk costs. Instead, I should have asked if repairing the bearing twice in 20+ years is to be expected. Most people would simply buy a new washer when the bearing wears out. I'm willing to repair the washer whether it be the entire rear portion of the drum or a bearing & seal kit. If the proper bearing & seals and such can be located that's a much less expensive approach.

Regarding the springs and shocks... the original parts lasted nearly 15 years. The replacement set didn't seem very robust - I don't think the parts were Electrolux (I didn't recognize the brand name on the bag).

Thanks for the tip regarding the LG washer at Lowe's. That's certainly a very appealing price point. My spouse is not very inclined to purchase LG appliances. We've known several people that have had significant trouble with their LG appliances. Are the washers better quality than the refrigerators as an example?

Yes, the drier works. It's electric and we now have access to propane if we want to switch. Being 20+ years old I thought the efficiency of a new unit may make sense. I replaced the belt and felt supports a few years ago and wondering what may be next up on the list to replace for the dryer. Do you suggest an electric or propane dryer for overall performance and efficiency?

• luna123456
    last month

The only brand that will have that longevity will be Miele unless you do one load a week or less.

Miele’s advertising specifically toughts 10k hours of operation which is abojt 20 years for the average consumer.

Anything new will be a LOT more expensive than freshening up the set you have. Miele is considered top end and they have a price to match.

• wdccruise
    last month
    1. Browse to: https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/2dazsnh6b9-000582/kenmore-41742142100-washer-parts
    2. Open the Tub parts diagram.
    3. The part appears to be #22.
    4. Scroll down to find part #22, "Bearing shell".
    5. Note the replaced-by part number, 131525500.
    6. Browse to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N5XS1H or https://www.ebay.com/itm/324801160074

There have been problems with LG refrigerator compressors but LG refrigerators have nothing to do with its washers.

The electric LG DLE3600W and gas DLG3601W performed about the same in CR's tests. The latter can be converted to propane. I would be my choice on utility rates.

• wdccruise
    last month

@luna123456: "Miele is considered top end and they have a price to match."

And its washers are tiny.

• luna123456
    last month
    last modified: last month

OP said the washer they have now is a 24”. They would be the same size if not a bigger drum.

We do laundry for 13 in them so the size isnt a problem. It would just be personal preference.

• HU-16168550092
    last month

Hmmmm. If large families can practically use small capacity washers with success, I think that is awesome. However, the frequency that you do laundry may impact whether you want such a small capacity. For example, we do laundry once a week generally on Sundays. Given the remarkably long cycle times that modern washing machines often employ, having a really small capacity would make for a really unpleasant way to spend the weekend for my household. However, other households may have schedules and chore assignments that make this perfectly fine. So, one size doesn’t fit all, but it might fit for some. The OP should really think about what your normal routine for laundry is and how the size or capacity of a machine could impact that. Electrolux has a 24 inch model that I believe has a 2.8 ft.³ capacity, which might or might not make that much of a difference, depending on how large of a load you were used to washing at one time. I may be wrong but I think I recall that the generation of washing machine that the OP had in the past were actually a bit larger and rated at 3.5 ft.³ capacity, which sadly, is a size you don’t really see anymore in front loaders whether 24 inch or wider.

• wdccruise
    last month

@luna123456: "OP said the washer they have now is a 24”.

Correct, but he did not say that he did not have room for a standard-size, 27" washer or that he did not want one.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last month

I'm a big fan and believer in LG front load washers, so I would not hesitate to get a 24" LG set.

• armjim
    last month
    last modified: last month

I believe the OP has the Kenmore washer which has a capacity of about 2.8 cu, and the matching dryer has a capacity of 5.7 cu. I had an identical set that I bought in 2001. Decent capacity but difficult to get a king sized comforter to fit in, but otherwise decent size. and complete mechanical controls. Reading his post, I think he is most interested in simple non-electronic controls. I am not sure that exists now. Even the Speed Queen FL is electronic. Cost was not necessarily a criteria in his post, complexity of the controls was. He could replace the washer now if he can find one-used perhaps? Keep the dryer until it wears out, The units not matching is not important, unless it is to him. Some folks prefer the units looking exactly alike, and that is their personal preference making that valid for them.