Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_hamilton11

Show me your colorful, funky, fun kitchens -

L Hamilton
last month
last modified: last month

Looking for kitchen inspiration. It seems like almost every kitchen cabinet now is all white, wood, navy, or sage. I googled for bold/colorful kitchens and most of them are very bland, or just dark colors such as navy, forest green, or charcoal. I'm looking for something with a little more punch.

Not red, pink, or orange as a main color though.

Show me those kitchens :)

ETA - go ahead and show the red, pink and orange ones too, you might change my mind :)

We are starting with a blank slate. We bought a house that was a total gut job. I already have the layout done. We're going with shaker doors, no open shelves except small ones by the sink. I love MCM, but don't care for stark modern. We're pretty eclectic, a little boho-ish, colorful, artsy, but don't want it to be overwhelming.

We once lived in a house with steel yellow kitchen cabinets with a blue, yellow, red, and green confettti looking floor, green counters. . We really liked that kitchen, but don't necessarily want the same thing.

Comments (70)

• L Hamilton
    Original Author
    last month

OP here

Wow! Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming :)

We are starting with a blank slate. We bought a house that was a total gut job. I already have the layout done. We're going with shaker doors, no open shelves except small ones by the sink. I love MCM, but don't care for stark modern. We're pretty eclectic, a little boho-ish, colorful, artsy, but don't want it to be overwhelming.

We once lived in a house with steel yellow kitchen cabinets with a blue, yellow, red, and green confettti looking floor, green counters. . We really liked that kitchen, but don't necessarily want the same thing.

• HU-787167202
    last month

Given the costs and investments I think its reasonable to worry about resale. If you are in your forever home and retirement is 30+ years away go for it. Your estate will take the hit not you. We live in a world where our kids/grandkids will not likely afford their own homes they latest economic sources are saying...COST is a real thing not only for you but for the future of that home.

• Sue Pedersen
    last month

I'm just going to leave this right here...

decor · More Info

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

@sue Pedersen - OMG !

Sometimes you can do "standard finishes" for the cabinets but punch up everything around them. Then you can change things as you aesthetic changes.

Good luck and have fun! Be sure to post after pics so those of us who are tired of white kitchens can enjoy it too!

• S M
    last month

but this one….

• beeboo22
    last month

@amystoller I love your kitchen!! 😍

OP, I can identify with tastes mellowing with age. I painted my first kitchen teal with lime green. It was cute tho! I was ahead of my time. 😁

This is the inspiration for my upcoming kitchen remodel. I have colorful accessories so the light blue is plenty of color for this stage of my life.

• chicagoans
    last month

What a great question and I love seeing the colorful examples! I especially like how in some pics less colorful cabinets (e.g. white, grey, or natural wood) are paired with a bold and colorful backsplash. I think I'd be happy in nearly all of these kitchens, except for the padded cabinets - yikes.

• Janet
    last month

Ours isn’t finished and may not be as bright or bold as you want for inspo. The paint is Benjamin Moore Olympus Green.

• beeboo22
    last month

@amystoller, I just zoomed in and saw those are Charlie Harper birds on your backsplash!! ❤️❤️❤️

• acm
    last month

Since you've gotten a lot of color, I thought I'd mine the "eclectic kitchen" mine for additional ideas... This first one is a fave of mine!!

Northlight Architecture Chicago · More Info

Alhambra Spanish Renovation · More Info

Artsy Smithville, Kitchen banquette · More Info

Andrea Schumacher Interiors · More Info

Ardmore Eclectic Kitchen · More Info

Avenues Family House: Kitchen · More Info

Upper West Side - Cosmetic Renovation · More Info

619 s division · More Info

Classic 3x6 Kitchen Backsplash in Blue Spruce · More Info

P138 · More Info

Purple Passion · More Info

Food Storage · More Info

My Work · More Info

Interior Remodel · More Info

The Smith Residence · More Info

Woodmere, NY Kitchen, MU1301 · More Info

Downtown Penthouse Loft · More Info

Albuquerque Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

(ok, that's a bit off-topic, but look at those cabinets!!)

• Kendrah
    last month

HEre's the kitchen in a studio apartment we purchased last year as an ADU.

We have since remodeled! Was owned by an 82 year old artist and instagram influencer.

• RedRyder
    last month

The colorful kitchens are definitely inspiring!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

So refreshing to see someone want to use color!!!

Check out Allison Kandler's kitchens--they are a riot of happy colors:

Candy Land House · More Info

Bright English Beach Cottage · More Info

Colorful Country Farmhouse · More Info

Colorful Country Farmhouse · More Info

Beverly Hills Cottage · More Info

Farmhouse · More Info

Farmhouse · More Info

Candy Land House · More Info

• PRO
    AiFL
    last month

Tape, not paint, on the cabinets, but this and a butler’s pantry by Heidi Callier, which I can’t find at the moment, makes me want a yellow kitchen more than I’ve ever wanted anything.

• Kendrah
    last month

The yellow and white isn't Heidi Callier, but is certainly bold. It is a DIY on Ikea cabinets in a south London flat and inspired by striped pool towels. Here's a link to the apartment tour. The rest of the rooms are really peaceful.

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/gallery/dorian-caffot-de-fawes-london-flat

• Kendrah
    last month

Check out Exactly. MCM design firm. Their kitchens are fresh and bold without being garish. The color comes from tile, light fixtures, painted ranges. Yep, the cabinets are more neutral. Great that you could swap out the colored features without having to repaint cabinets in the future.

• amystoller
    last month

@beeboo22, thanks for your kind words. And yes, those are indeed Charley Harper birds on my backsplash, plus a few squirrels. I spent about 10 years putting together research and look-books for my whole-house (well, apartment) renovation, and now whenever I enter my kitchen, or any other room, I feel happy. It was worth taking the time to do it right (that is, right for me).

I love a lot of the other colorful kitchens posted here—even some of the ones I would never choose for myself. Thanks, OP, for kicking off a great thread. Best of luck with your new kitchen!

• Angela Young
    last month

It's always such fun to see such bold choices. Not many would be so daring so one doesn't come across them very often. I know I am hauted by the advise of one of my favorite designers that the more DIFFERENT/bold the faster you will tire of it.... The yellows above are to die for!!!

• HU-918119203
    last month

I have a white kitchen but here are some inspiration photos I saved that are classic designs with bolder pops of color:

My ideas · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

My ideas · More Info

My ideas · More Info

• Tara
    last month

My two cents...

Eclectic & Colorful, Greensboro, NC · More Info

Craftsman Kitchen · More Info

Kitchens · More Info

Mediterranean Kitchen Santa Fe, NM · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Wynne Lake 1 · More Info

• jacksplash
    last month

Following.

• S M
    last month

@L Hamilton, are all these ideas leaning you in a direction? I shared my aqua kitchen earlier, but these two I found I would do in a heartbeat. DH wouldn’t have handled them well, lol. I do have a good bit of magenta mixed in to the adjacent room and working on some for kitchen now that we’ve been in house awhile

• ilikefriday
    last month

@S M your kitchen is absolutely fabulous! Are all of your room filled with bold color? Magenta is a color that I am drawn to. I love rooms that make you curious about what is around the next corner. Your kitchen does that!

• S M
    last month

ilikefriday, Thank you! Most are ( a couple still in the works.. have only been moved in a year so still deciding on them). Open concept so living room across from kitchen is teal/green/magenta and gold. Hall bath is pink/green/black. Laundry has Delft blue cabinets, mud room cabinetry is dark teal. My bedroom and office are still “snowman in a snowstorm” until I figure them out, lol. Do have a couple paint samples for our small entryway with views to kitchen/living room..will probably be in some shade of purple or magenta 😊

• Hope Stewart
    last month

Following. And loving all the colorful kitchens! Having trouble with Houzz and posting a picture of my favorite colorful kitchen- will try again later.

• Theresa Peterson
    last month

I just came across this jewel on Pinterest. It's absolutely lovely with Personality Plus! Being an analyzer, I ask myself, "What do I like here?"

- Balance, for starters. It's "full" -- full of things to catch the eye, but those things are all very simple. The cabinets are a simple Shaker, the color is a solid. But it has the touch of whimsical wallpaper up to the ceiling.

- Lots of natural light. Almost without exception, the best kitchens are filled with natural light.

- Oddly, I note that the busiest parts of the kitchen -- the wallpaper and the floor -- are on the top and the bottom, leaving the middle to be simple. Again, this is balance.

- We can't see it at night, but it appears to have ample lighting.

- The checkered fabric curtain is reflected in the checkered floor, but it's not repetitive.

- It's not over-done /not stretched to the max. For example, the window over the sink could've been a bit larger -- and I personally probably would've made it larger -- but note that a larger window woud've cost that bit of wallpaper and the prints by the sink. What they did is better.

- Note that all of the trends people chase are missing -- not even stainless steel appliances.

• ilikefriday
    last month

@S M Would you be willing to post photos of your living room and hall bathroom? I would love to see them! Magenta is a color that I have been trying to incorporate in every room of my home. I love it.

• S M
    last month

here are couple of living room

• S M
    last month

and here is the pink bath..

• S M
    last month

here is kitchen/ dining

• ilikefriday
    last month

SM it's eye candy! There are so many elements to love about your space! The light fixtures, especially in the kitchen, the fireplace surround is fabulous, the bathroom color combo. I love it all!

Thanks for sharing these.

• S M
    last month

thanks so much , ilikefriday. It’s still a work in progress, but I have had fun with it. And DH always said he hated pink, go figure. guess he loved me more than he hates pink

• S M
    last month

^thank you, ilikefriday! duh, sorry I called you by wrong name. Must’ve been thinking of another post I was reading 😊

• ilikefriday
    last month

Lol. That's no problem. I knew what you meant.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

I can't share pictures of mine yet - it won't be renovated for another year and a half, but I planned my whole home color palette from the purple red and green slate flooring in the foyer.

The cabinets will be a mid toned grayish purple. The countertops will be Cambria Bentley and I am debating on the wall color - leaning toward a red. The two rooms are not right next to each other - the living room and dining room will be between them, but the same colors are throughout the home in the art and décor.

• S M
    last month

@Jennifer Hogan, please post pics when you do your kitchen. I’d love to see it!

• Hope Stewart
    last month

A favorite of mine that is inspiring me in my own kitchen reno plans... by Mark Sikes...

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

I will definitely post pics.

• Beth Allen
    last month

• Isaac
    last month

Atticmag has a number - https://www.atticmag.com/

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last month

I'm finishing this one right now:

This is the laundry room in the same house:

Ready for styling....

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

Beautiful, Kristen.

• theotherjaye
    last month

Our last kitchen (we did a studs remodel on a circa 1969 townhouse):

Our current kitchen (in a house we built last year):

Yes, I like green

• S M
    last month

so pretty!!!

• beeboo22
    last month

I found my people! I love all these kitchens. 😍

• S M
    last month

this is our laundry, but it might be pretty in kitchen. Color isn’t quite as bold as others we’ve been tossing out there though 😊

• Andrea
    last month

@S M What colour are your laundry cabinets? They are so calming

• S M
    last month

they’re Sherwin Delft

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

@theotherjaye

What is the material of that green floor in the kitchen you posted?

Love it

• cawaps
    last month

Here's my kitchen. I kept the cabinets neutral but incorporated color in the wall paint and art. And the range. You can't really see in the 2nd photo, but the pantry is purple.