Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstglance

Where to position fold up shower seat?

firstglance
last month

Planning on putting in a fold up shower seat in in the coming bath remodel. Taking out the tub and

doing a walk in shower, so the area is 60x30 inches.

Where to put it... at the end away from the shower head, half way on the side nearer to the shower and hand held sprayer, or on the wall with the shower head and hand held sprayer?

Have you used one, are you happy with where it is? Would you change it if you could?

Comments (17)

• A Mat
    last month

I had a portable bamboo shower seat. I did not find a place where I enjoyed it.

Do you have an existing shower, can you mock up your plans in the existing shower?

• firstglance
    Original Author
    last month

Existing tub shower combo now. Not sure what you mean by mock up. Draw one in on plans or use a removable seat to test positions?

• P Banos
    last month
    last modified: last month

It depends on how you plan to use it.

Is it going to be used by a person with limited mobility? Does it need to be positioned for access from a wheelchair? There are guidelines if this is the case.

Do you want to be able to reach the water controls and hand-held attachment easily?

It is essential the seat has proper blocking behind the wall.

firstglance thanked P Banos
  • A Mat
    last month

What is the purpose? I thought it would be easier to bath, rinse and relax. The movable bench was used to establish the location.

Under the showerhead: wet, soap scrub, rinse, wet. worked the best for me.

firstglance thanked A Mat
  • chispa
    last month

In my previous house I did built-in shower benches, but in the current house I decided to keep things simple and flexible, as it is our retirement home, so I used free-standing teak benches. My master shower is 48" x 96" and the secondary showers are 42" x 75".

Bench from DecoTeak and they come in different styles, sizes, heights and finishes. This one is 30" wide. Much more comfortable than a flat, hard and cold tile/stone/quartz bench.

firstglance thanked chispa
  • J Mig
    last month

Chispa, how much does that weigh?. It is very pretty. My mom has a shower chair, and I don’t think she could lift yours.

firstglance thanked J Mig
  • Olychick
    last month

I bought this bench from Costco! It's really top quality, the lines are prettier than they look in this picture, and is certified teak wood (please only by teak that is FSC certified); it weighs 13 lbs

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

It goes at the back right side if attached to a wall.

https://www.harneyhardware.com/products/folding-shower-bench-right-handed-phenolic-seat-ada-compliant-satin-stainless-steel-19071?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwMqvBhCtARIsAIXsZpbaA5a0J45vzFbzaAxkUnYZFlg9z6zDCTfxG49hH8w6Z9fyI6kvfqkaArQJEALw_wcB

Personally, I would not attach.

One of these works fine. I know when my sister broke an ankle, it was great.

With either? You use the hand held sprayer, with any of them.

firstglance thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Or...............under the head , back wall depending water supply

firstglance thanked JAN MOYER
  • Tara
    last month

I would put it on the short wall opposite the shower head, with a hand held shower spray on an adjustable bar mounted to the long side of the shower so that it is between the seat and the regular shower head. That way anyone seated can easily reach the hand held.

firstglance thanked Tara
  • chispa
    last month

@J Mig, I just weighed the teak bench in my photo and it is 15 lbs. Easy enough to grab one end and move it around without picking it up.

firstglance thanked chispa
  • firstglance
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks to all. Yes, Patricia, I kinda agree on there being " no room". Yet I've seen many photos of it being done in my amount of space and even smaller. Tried using a shower bench in the tub/shower area now and it does take up a lot of room. Which has lead me to look at the fold up, wall mount styles. And yes, I'm aware of blocking.

• Kendrah
    last month

Where do you enter and exit? Is it a sliding door, swinging in or out? Is there are sink or toilet next to the shower? Give us a little sketch so we can see the situation.

If you are using it solo (without a caregiver) I can be extremely useful to have all of the controls and the shower head/hose within arms reach of the seat so you can adjust temp, and turn on and off while seated.

Each time you have to walk around in the shower to get back and forth to the seat, you are increasing a fall risk, and adding unneeded movement for a person with limitations or pain.

Although these are wheelchair accessible, and it doesn't sound like that is your situation, these pics show how helpful it is to not have to walk around in the shower to turn on and off and adjust temp.

WIth your size shower, I would NOT use a free standing stool because it is a tight space and a tripping hazard when getting in and out. A flip up chair gets the chair out of the way in a small space.

Write in to your contract with your contractor that you want to photographs on the blocking in the wall before they enclose it.

My uncle had Parkinsons', got a flip up chair installed, told the contractor to install blocking. He crashed to the floor during a shower one day. No blocking had actually been installed.

I needed blocking for a wall hung sink. Totally agreed upon. Was there in the morning where we decided it would go. They did the work, closed up the wall, did not take a picture. I had them remove the medicine cabinet so I could stick my hand down in the wall and take a picture. Guess what - no blocking!

firstglance thanked Kendrah
  • Kendrah
    last month

When designing our tiny guest bathroom for my parents I watched this OT's YouTube videos on grab bars. (She was better than the OT/designer I hired to come to my space.)

While this video is about a specific chair you may not use or find attractive, she talks about positioning in a very useful way. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GQaDT3OQ5A

Here is a link to Ponte Giulio - the company she recommends for shower chairs. I like that some of them come in colors and have a slightly more decorative vibe.

firstglance thanked Kendrah
  • firstglance
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for all the comments. I did find guidelines from the National Kitchen & Bath Association. Their commimittee of experts review modern building code requirements and design trends.. From their list, Building Code Requirements : Shower seat must not infringe on the minimum size of the shower (900 square inches) The shower must be large enough for a disk 30 inches in diameter to fit inside the shower walls and not touch the seat. So that takes care of the minimum space requirement. I've seen seats placed on any of the walls depending on the personal preference of owner. Another thing to be aware of, besides ease of using a seat when a person is older, is to take into consideration the space needed if an aide is helping a person shower. I've done lift assists for elderly relatives for bathing. Having an open shower, without big glass doors and panels in the way, is a big help. I'm not at that point but know to think ahead about it.

• Nancy in Mich
    25 days ago

I have a 37.5” wide x 63” long shower with a curtain and I use a big (because I am big) white plastic shower bench. I move it easily myself. The problem with the ones attached to walls is that you will have limited movement on two sides in a 30” wide shower. The third side will be dodging the shower curtain. If you can place the bench in the center of the shower, instead, you can get the wall spray to hit you and use the hand-held other times. Switch between them easily. Plus, if anyone else uses the shower chair, they may need it positioned differently on the wall (higher? lower?) than you need. A bench that gives you depth to scoot back and not hit a cold tile wall, to have your thighs supported because you CAN scoot back onto it and still spray and wash your back is just more comfortable for showering. Be sure to have a grab bar that is vertical and another horizontal to grab when rising. Some grab bars can be fitted with a holder for your hand-held sprayer. I did Jaclo, which is expensive, but wears like iron!

firstglance thanked Nancy in Mich