Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forever_a_newbie_z8_va

Orlaya has flower bud!

This is the first time I grow Orlaya. I sowed the seeds last November. Germination is so so and I have got around 10 plants in total 25 seeds. The ones that I transplanted to ground last year are big and one just has a flower bud now.

Happy Spring Gardening🌱🌻

Comments (20)

• erasmus_gw
    last month

It looks healthy! I sowed orlaya seeds indoors and ended up with only a few plants. But they come up better outdoors from the few plants I started with. Sometimes they come up in a different spot in my garden. I don't think they reseed themselves very heavily but I'm happy to see new little plants each year. The leaves are pretty, kind of ferny. Seedlings come up pretty early and seem fairly hardy.

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked erasmus_gw
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last month

@erasmus_gw, thank you! Orlaya’s leaves are indeed very beautiful and I am excited that buds show up so early. There are not many seed sources that carry Orlaya so I plan to collect seeds.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

Well you'll surely be blessed with seeds. Seed sellers are very stingy with the seeds, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. One plant probably produces 50=100 seeds? Prickly suckers, but plenty of them ;) I love orlaya, dark blue larkspur, and indigo nigella together. So lovely. And easy-three heavy reseeders.

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • rosaprimula
    last month

Me too, Rob333. Add in some centaurea (annual) and ox-eye daisy for a simple but lovely, long-lasting bouquet.

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked rosaprimula
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last month

@rosaprimula, thanks for new inspiration. they sound great addition

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last month

@rob333 (zone 7b),my reply got deleted.

thank you for assuring about reseeding. I fell in love with Orlaya first time seeing it in a friend’s garden in Seattle. I love blue purple larkspur too. I have a lot of seedlings coming up can’t wait to see them bloom in my garden first time! I also love delphiniums, but cannot get even one delphinium seed to germinate.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last month

@rob333 (zone 7b), very charmy scene. Beautiful !

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last month

More flower buds are appearing

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

I was outside planting yesterday when I thought of you. I saw an open bud on a plant. I was like "Yay, flowers!" and then I got closer. It was a confederate violet growing up through my columbine. Admittedly, the aquilegia does have stems popping up, but it's still too soon. It did, in fact, have a bud, but not the one I wanted ;)

We're so close to open buds, aint we?

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last month

@rob333 (zone 7b)

Yeah this time of year it is most exciting and anxious. The waiting is coming down to end! I actually like the violet very much and aquilegia is an unbelievable beauty. Your garden will be so pretty in couple or few weeks.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Opening now

So pretty yet very sturdy

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Finally blooming

So lovely

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Orlaya has set seed pods

Plenty of seeds for next year, hopefully

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

You see what I mean now? That one umbel (first picture) has what 50-60 seeds alone? But multiply it by how many umbels in the next picture?! I don't understand why seed sellers are so stingy with them ;)

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Maybe that is why they give so few seeds. You only need a few seeds and do not need to come back to buy

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 days ago

I meant to tell you, I finally got to see that Columbine blossom. Well they're not stingy with the other seeds, so why Orlaya? Maybe they just don't keep well.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    7 days ago

@rob333 (zone 7b), very beautiful Columbine blossom🤩! The color is so lovely.

This spring neither of my 2 Columbine plants (yellow and blue) come back. I should try to grow from seeds next year.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 days ago

Yes you should! I'm a little biased, I'm a sucker for columbines. There's so much variation. Here are some others blooming on my yard right now.

My absolute favorite, Aquilegia vulgaris 'Barlow Blue'. I'm in love with the mini Dahlia like bloom...

Aquilegia canadensis which is terrific under trees

Well about to bloom

'Magpie' in the US/'William Guinness' in the UK (burgundy and cream)

There are a couple more, but not blooming yet. Check them out, easy to grow from seed, as long as you know they need some sort of cold to break dormancy. Perfect for winter sowing

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    7 days ago

@rob333 (zone 7b), 'Barlow Blue' is absolutely a beauty. I will surely buy a seed pack and try next year. While surfing the web, I found this Nora Barlow very beautiful too. Thanks for posting🌹