Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camie6

painting exterior but have an ugly roof color—HELP

Camie B
last month

We purchased this 100 year old fixer upper and this roof color is making a hard choice for exterior paint. The window frames will be black and the trim white but the roof almost looks tan or gold at times. Any suggestions? I like the idea of a green but maybe just a nice white? I do not want any form of beige or tan at all.

Comments (9)

• cat_ky
    last month

I like the idea of a nice green. A sage green might be nice.

• klem1
    last month

Since you've already chose 2 colors, I wouldn't add more than 1 for a total of 3. Green and green variants leaning in the direction of yellow rather blue is good. Such as mint or cat's sage. If you feel it needs more excitement, do front door or porch columns in red or red-orange.

• P.D. Schlitz
    last month

Great bungalow! On our first home- also a bungalow— a previous owner had tacked up masonite siding at some point, and it was the same color as yours! Have you checked to see what’s underneath those siding tiles? In our case, the Masonite was starting to crumble in places, and we found the original thin clapboard (main level exterior) and cedar shakes (upper level/ dormer) underneath, all of which were still in pretty good condition. Might be worth investigating at your house too, or at least making sure the current siding is very sound before investing in painting it.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

When you have fixed elements on a house like brick or in your case the tan metal roof that is where you start with a color scheme. So in your case you could do a mossy sage green for the siding, linen white trim, and your black windows.

• Debbie Downer
    last month

IMHO, individual colors never are "ugly," but color combinations can certainly be! Agree with everyone that a sagey or mossy green (version which leans into yellow rather than blue) would fit nicely with roof + b&w - same color 1st and second floor.

• Camie B
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Our siding is an asbestos type of tile that is in good condition. We hear it can he very brittle but ours is in great condition. We live in Durango, Colorado, it is a huge hassle and very costly to remove the tiles safely. Our painter said it’s safer to paint over them and is not hazardous to our health to keep on the house.

I will research the colors suggested and not try to fight the tan roof. Thx again!

• Sigrid
    last month

I'd pick a warm green, but warm white works, too. Your current green is a bit too minty/cool to work well with the roof.

• Debbie Downer
    last month

My understanding of that type of tile, because it is cement it doesnt expand/contract like wood does, and so holds paint very well. Which means keeping it painted really is a good solution to the problem, because its not going to be flaking off and exposing the asbestos.... if there is any.. Did you have it tested, do you know there is asbestos? Where I live the public health dept does testing for very little cost, only $20 or so.