Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutabaga4

Please help arranging an Abraham Lincoln collection in entryway.

rutabaga4
last month

I have two walls where I may showcase our Abraham Lincoln collection. However, I'm having trouble selecting which wall and arrangement would look best with the collection and the area we'll be using it in. The images labeled A, B, and C are possibilities that I have come up with. Please contribute your ideas, input, and suggestions; however, before you begin, here are some notes to consider:

The three items on the floor are intended to be hung on the wall in front of them. The wall adjacent to the hallway is large enough to accommodate only the image and quote, not the mirror.

The Abraham Lincoln doll must be placed on top of whichever table I choose, regardless of the arrangement.

I'd like to maintain the red fabric mat as part of the display since I believe it offers a pop of color and matches the red door (I'm so sorry I didn't take a better picture).

When the doll sits on the half-circle table, he faces away from the living room and kitchen. To have a decent view of his face, he must be placed in the center of the table, which is the broadest area that his wood base can fit.

Enlighten me. What ideas can you share?

Comments (43)

• Kendrah
    last month

Great collection. B is the best. It is contained in one area, makes sense looking at it all together. Fun to have in the entry way. Love the colors in the painting next to the color of your front door.

rutabaga4 thanked Kendrah
  • arcy_gw
    last month
    last modified: last month

B or C with hesitation. A=the table infront of the side light doesn't work. The other two-the table is too small. It's FULL and reality says people coming and going will have something to set down, will see the table and use it's flat surface junking up your display. C gives people the most opportunity to comfortably take in the moment.

rutabaga4 thanked arcy_gw
  • la_la Girl
    last month

Agree that a larger table would work better - and leave you room for more additions to your collection :)

rutabaga4 thanked la_la Girl
  • Design Fan
    last month

Is the doll breakable? it seems like the doll could easily be knocked/bumped off the small table in either of the two table positions you show.

Do you have an alternative location that is less public/trafficked place for your collection?

rutabaga4 thanked Design Fan
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last month

What Jan said. The table is way too small.

You have some nice, albeit small, Lincoln items. Pulling them together in a larger group would give them more importance.

You’re not worried about visitors coming and going knocking into them? I would be. Personally, I’d put them in a place of honor further away from trafficways.

rutabaga4 thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • PRO
    rutabaga4 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

Wow! Already some great observations and suggestions. Based on the comments, I want to offer some additional info. With an open floor plan and wide windows, these are the only two walls I can arrange a display. With the location of the half circle table in pic B, the door won't open all the way to the wall, but the sidelights offer more room into an open entry. Nonetheless, I have had the same thoughts about the door touching a table. That being said, we are empty nesters, out in the country, so not a lot of foot traffic. We enter the garage door and there is a side door that opens into a mud room that we can use for deliveries.

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@Jan Moyer Specific to your mock-up: Is the table under the portrait and side mirror, the half-circle or the black stand with a fern on it or something similar? What type of bowl/trench; material, size, shape? Is that a small stool, or wicker basket, or something else entirely, under the longer console?

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@BeverlyFLADeziner Thank you for providing the visual arrangement. So much better than I could offer.

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@Kate Cowers You've provided a fantastic opportunity to remind yourself, and others, to respect the diverse interests we all have. After 30 years of military service, we developed a fondness for Abraham and would like to best display our collection in a setting we can enjoy.

• bichonbabe
    last month

Wow Kate! How rude !!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

" @Jan Moyer Specific to your mock-up: Is the table under the portrait and side mirror, the half-circle or the black stand with a fern on it or something similar? What type of bowl/trench; material, size, shape? Is that a small stool, or wicker basket, or something else entirely, under the longer console?

NEITHER of the tables you have work well in those spots.

A longer, shallow console with a nice vertically hung mirror, and the doll and the lamp. If the bowl works between, fine! Make it useful as a key bowl!

You hang Abe on the angled wall, a nice plant in a stand, or even something sitting on the floor in foliage in a pot. with some height.

Under the mirror? A cube ottoman, a small round ottoman........it is nice to be able to sit, as a guest and remove footwear

rutabaga4 thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jilly
    last month

I like Jan’s ideas as they’d nicely display your collection in close proximity without looking like a shrine. It would make me want to walk around looking at your finds.

There’s nothing at all wrong with a loved display in an entry. You explained well why it’s the best spot.

PS: Two of my houses have had tables behind the front door (when opened), it’s never been an issue at all.

rutabaga4 thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Exactly as just above. Don't wring a hand over that which won't happen. Have a pile of guests coming and going? Nobody is going to linger there. Take the doll away!

Most of the enjoyment for this is for YOU, and you do not come and go there.

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@Jan Moyer Thank you for providing the extra details. I can now see your vision with better focus. Greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Can you do this?

The table isn't great, it is all hard, dark . things.

You are left with a bigger blank wall, which is nicer with a lamp,,,,,,so you can shut off a foyer overhead.

You'd not WANT another table on that larger wall, so now? You'd be limited to a shallow upholstered bench bench, and perhaps a mirror above.?

Thanks and all due respect to Bev.....

I'm not loving it: )

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I guess Kate would prefer Joe? Billy C? "Barry" O?

All are fine with me, it isn't my home - I vote differently, so WHAT?

A home is private, and I doubt her guests would be offended , unless by one who is offended at ABSOLUTELY everything? The sort that probably has few invites to anywhere, so it isn't an issue. I'd bet that soul is never a guest here., and if he/she is? Can smother/ disguise any outrage, or leave as he/she came in, right there at the handy front door.

Lighten up , folks. All of this faux outrage is really something else, especially when directed at a man who freed the slaves.

No wonder we're a country tangled up in its own panties. Now I AM cranky. Add dumbfounded to the cranky.

• bichonbabe
    last month

I’d rather see a personal collection in someone’s home that maybe isn’t my thing than some generic art/ decor that says nothing about a person.

rutabaga4 thanked bichonbabe
  • auntthelma
    last month

Cool collection. I love the mirror!

rutabaga4 thanked auntthelma
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I'm Not done..........

"After 30 years of military service, ................."

Read that again Ms. Kate.

It IS that military service, and that of many thousands more,many many of whom died in service to this country that provides YOU ! the right to type as you feel, expound as you wish. Despite the stupid it personifies.

You really should apologize, but I doubt the very polite op, or I for that matter, will be shocked when you do not. In this country, you even have the right to be rude.

Doubled down on cranky, right here: (

• chloebud
    last month

“There’s nothing at all wrong with a loved display in an entry. You explained well why it’s the best spot.”

Agree!

Your post reminded me of this photo I came across online not long ago.

rutabaga4 thanked chloebud
  • happyleg
    last month

I like it in the middle of the wall knocked on the tiniest table but on the bigger table like the other one that's kind of around the corner from letter c and it can be more into the entry if you want

rutabaga4 thanked happyleg
  • happyleg
    last month

Quite the collection you have are you related to Abraham Lincoln? Not to be nosy just asking

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@Jan Moyer Not cranky, but passionate. I appreciate your support.

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@chloebud What an absolutely cool picture of Lincoln!

• chloebud
    last month

It sure caught my attention!

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

My family's admiration for Abraham Lincoln originates with his strength, courage, humility, and grace; all characteristics that our country's young soldiers need to be grounded in. A responsibility that was taken very seriously during my husband's years in service. Ironically, albeit unintentionally, Lincoln's life lessons can be gained through a post that seeks to make someone's house a home.

Now, with that out of the way, lets help me best decorate my collection without criticizing the objects within it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

"I'm just saying a collection like that just has no place in an entry hall. If I walked in to your house and saw that, you really don't want to know what I'd be thinking,,,,,"

What exactly would that be, Kate? Other than the "weird" aspect of it , YOUR view? That's right, to you. Not to the OP, not to me, not to the others who contributed a suggestion. Noted, you offered nothing. Again......since your bravery and courage haven't escaped notice? Sign me dying to know.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Now that that is off my chest:

To the op:

At a point, the collection will outrun the available space.

Maybe limit it to something like above, as the doll and painting seem the most important.

Deserves a different table, or similar.

http://www.maitland-smith.com/Products/ProductDetails/89-0101

The frame isn't the best on Abe, and he is fine gazing OUT the window

What is the actual length of the longer wall? : )

And how many inches wall to the hinges on the entry door? .

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@Jan Moyer Long wall length: 60"

Long wall to door hinge: 22"

Angled wall width: 36"

• happyleg
    last month

Thanks for sharing. An office or end of hallway is also a nice place.

rutabaga4 thanked happyleg
  • remodeling1840
    last month

I bet there are some people who would be really offended at my Washington collection in the dining room and the library……I will just quote my beloved Rhett Butler, “ Frankly my dear….”

rutabaga4 thanked remodeling1840
  • Alice Edwards
    last month

Love Abraham gazing out the window!

rutabaga4 thanked Alice Edwards
  • happyleg
    last month

Remodeling 1840 that was Catherine Hepburn's statement she always said

• rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@chloebud I am so drawn to the photo of Lincoln you posted. I showed it to my husband, and all he could say was "Wow!" It would make an extra special statement when paired with the quote from my collection. I attempted a Google Lens search but was unable to find it. If you know where you can purchase it, please let me know.

• jayapple21
    last month

rutabaga (what a fun handle!), I really like the warmth of the portrait/chest of drawers/lamp vignette that chloebud posted. What if you tweaked things up just a little and bought a new entrance table that was wider yet narrow and rectangular to go on the entry wall? The top could hold a lamp on the left and a small potted plant on the right and on the lower shelf you could place the standing statue on the left, some Lincoln-themed books with the framed quote leaning against them in the middle, and the candle holder on the right. Your beautiful Lincoln portrait would go on the wall above. The lamp can be set on a timer so that it comes on every evening to give warmth to your entry way and to highlight the portrait (lucky you - there's an outlet on that very wall). Because the table would be right next to a window many plants would do very well in that spot but keep the plant and pot somwhat small to not overwhelm being on the top shelf. If you have concern about a living plant possibly damaging the top of the table you can find really beautiful small faux ferns online or a faux floral display of your choice. Here's one such table that I found on the rainforest site. It is very inexpensive and the dimensions are good: 39" wide and 12" deep. Look for "ChooChoo Narrow Console Table with Drawer". You might find something of higher quality that has a similar look in your area. Best wishes...

rutabaga4 thanked jayapple21
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You can not buy it : )

The photo above was a grab from a blog, ( Ivy and Ironstone ) and specific text below, about Charles Faudree, many times published and renowned for charming European style rooms, many French in flavor.

( Probably commissioned above , or handed down )........

"But that “appropriateness” just one aspect of his aesthetic. For me, the real art of Faudree’s talent is in his attention to detail, perfectly placed objets d’arts, picture frames, figurines, cache pots, mementos, etc., all chosen to reflect the interests of the homeowner as well as the overall design. Many are pricey antiques, others are family pieces or flea market finds. (Truth to tell, I think the tension between high end and low end in one room or even one vignette makes a powerful statement.) In his hands, all of this fits perfectly into the greater design scheme. It’s personal, it’s layered, it’s thoughtful."

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I'd watch Chairish, and local consignment stores for a console.

Elevate the piece, and don't grab junk from Wayfair.

The truth of brown traditional furniture is this:

Nobody wants it, everyone wants it. WHAT did she say?

Just what I said..... consignment and vintage stores are currently preying on traditionalists. Why? None to little is being made, and the new is yet more expensive than the vintage pieces.

You can dicker the sticker on Chairish, and in most local consignment stores.....

https://www.chairish.com/product/12749069/italian-adams-design-distressed-finish-console-table

You have a 60 inch wall, and it will take a console as long as 54 inches.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • rutabaga4
    Original Author
    last month

@Jan Moyer As I look about my house, I notice elements of colonial detail that reflect the early Colonial style than the later Georgian, Federal, or Colonial Revival style. The architecture of these homes is often what distinguishes classic colonial décor. Because I have an open floor plan, my decorating options are much more limited. So, instead of stressing to capture a real floor-to-ceiling colonial, I have decorative collections that reflect the eras I'm most interested in, i.e., pewter, and white ironstone etc. I want my Lincoln collection to show the earlier colonial (I don't mean log cabin :-) ) vs. late colonial, partly due to preference, but more so, due to pocketbook. I will look for a careful blending of the two styles when purchasing furniture that pays tribute to such a classic individual in American history. And I fully agree that, substantial, traditional furniture can be better purchased at antique and consignment stores rather than Wayfair or Ikea.

• chloebud
    last month

Jan, thanks for finding the Ivy and Ironstone link for the Lincoln portrait. I was going to tell rutabaga I can’t remember at all where I found the photo. I was thinking it might have even been an add from a furniture store. I’ve tried searching for it again with no luck. All I know is the photo appealed to me.