Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

Spring Waxed Amaryllis at TJs

teeda
last month

I think Funky may have started the thread around the holidays about waxed amaryllis. I bought some from Home Depot, put them in little pots with moss and fairy lights and gave them to the staff who who lovingly cared for my Dad before he passed in August. They were a big hit!

I just saw some adorable pastel waxed amaryllis at Trader Joe's for $7.99. Think I'll go back and get a few to use as part of my Easter centerpiece.

Just wanted to share!

Comments (12)

• Olychick
    last month

Oh, thanks for this! I’m headed there to shop today so will look. I bought a bunch of the Christmas ones for hostess gifts. I was at a St Patrick’s party and one I had given was still in full bloom!

teeda thanked Olychick
  • Bluebell66
    last month

Thanks for mentioning this! I want to try decoupaging an amaryllis bulb so will stop by there soon.

teeda thanked Bluebell66
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last month

Love the idea of decoupaging a bulb, Bluebell. Please share a photo if you do!

• Fun2BHere
    last month

Darn, I was just there this morning, but I didn’t see them.

teeda thanked Fun2BHere
  • Bluebell66
    last month

My husband picked up a couple of amaryllis from TJ for me. Unfortunately, they are too tiny and really misshapen so won't work very well for my decoupage ideas. They don't look anything like the nice round ones they sell at Christmas-time.

teeda thanked Bluebell66
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last month

Oh that's too bad Bluebell. The ones I saw were large and well shaped. I should try to get back and see what's left.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

I got one, It is large and nicely shaped but I didn't love the pastel colors. Wish they had gold

teeda thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last month

I went back Tuesday and they still had a lot of large ones. Picked up a couple for my mother. She loved the ones at Christmas.

Mtn, I spray painted some at Christmas. Very easy if you want them gold!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

I gave all of my kids waxed amaryllis bulbs for Easter and they were a big hit! Yes, even my son. Out of the blue a week or two ago we were talking about flowers for some unrelated reason and he said "even I would like to receive flowers" so I figured, ok, here you go. Of course I knew the girls would like flowers, but I was surprised how much they were all taken with them. I guess everyone likes to watch things grow! Meanwhile the one I got for thanksgiving is no longer blooming but has lovely green leaves. DH is wracked with anguish that I have not broken it from its wax prison, fed, watered and re-homed it.

Anyway, thx so much for the idea; they were the highlight of an otherwise lame easter. The Marie Kondo-ing of our basement has led to the mysterious disappearance of our Easter baskets, so we had Easter bags.

teeda thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Olychick
    26 days ago

I bought some, one for me and others for friends. I took one as a hostess gift to a friend and they lamented that they are poison to cats - they have an incorrigible cat that would get at it wherever they might put it and who chews on every plant. So I suggested they take it to the mother in assisted living. It was perfect for her, no watering, just watching it grow and enjoying the blossoms. Mine has put out an amazing amount of greenery with a blossom already forming, after only about 1.5 weeks in the house. Can't wait for it to bloom.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

None of us have cats, but good to know.

My kids are measuring theirs every day, debating optimal lighting, and having a race. Who knew?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!