Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Cracked Shower Drain in Second Floor Bonus Room Shower...

rubyclaire
last month
last modified: last month

A cracked shower drain in an upstairs bonus room shower (rarely used) is causing a cascading set of issues. A leak in the kitchen directly below the shower led to opening the ceiling and identifiying the cracked drain. Plumbing contractor indicates that we must remove and replace the shower pan as well to properly replace the drain. Of course this will require removing the tile floor, about a foot of wall tile, the glass shower door and the shower curb. Ugh.

So, I had this fantasy that I could find a contrasting 6 x 6 tile and "make it work". Again, this is a seldom used bathroom in a bonus room. However, I believe this strategy will make it look exactly like the piecemeal job it would be. This is a fairly small shower but it is 100% tiled (floor, walls, ceiling) in this bone colored 6x6 tile circa 2004. I also have the 12x12 stone looking tile floor to contend with which I do not want to change.

So, I need your thoughts:

1. Any other creative ideas other than re-tiling this entire shower?

2. If re-tiling, would using a 6x6 tile in a white or cream (which will be in keeping with the other two baths in the home) be the best idea? I'm thinking larger will make the shower look re-done but without re-modeling the whole bathroom.

3. Is replacing the shower pan really the only way to fix a cracked shower drain??

Thanks in advance - ETA: Photos hard to capture but have been added.

ETA: Cracked drain as seen from hole cut in kitchen ceiling :(.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

Photos would help us help you

rubyclaire thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Jake The Wonderdog
    last month

I think you intended to say, " Plumbing contractor indicates that we must remove and replace the shower pan as well to properly replace the drain."

Without seeing your drain, I'd guess he's correct. And when you get into the pan, you are almost always getting into a re-tile because it becomes very difficult to get the waterproofing under the tile right if you don't. It can happen - but who wants to warranty a repair job like that?

That looks like a custom pan shape - which means that you can't use a cast iron shower base, for example. It also means that you need a good tile person who knows how to do shower pans right (probably not your plumber). This site is full of posts by people who hired contractors who weren't up for the job. Talk to your plumber to see if they know people - it's a good place to start.

Hot Tip: Do a flooded pan test (plug drain and fill with water before any tile goes on and see if leaks over 24 hours). Also carefully inspect the installation of the tile backer and waterproofing on the walls before any tile goes on. Take pictures. If you have any questions put a stop to it until the questions are answered. Make sure your tile guy knows that's what you want up-front - it will weed some out.

You are into an expensive repair - no matter how often the bathroom gets used. Resist any notion that you can "reduce costs" because it's the guest bath. I'm not saying you need marble with gold fixtures, just don't try to shortcut anything that would involve waterproofing.

Can't help you on the creative side of things.

rubyclaire thanked Jake The Wonderdog
  • PRO
    Minardi
    last month

An acrylic pan, with a "cracked drain" is NOT going to require the entire thing being redone. Unless the pan is cracked, or the walls improperly installed to the pan. A cracked drain just needs the drain replaced from below. Call a different plumber. This guy is trying to scam you out of money for unneeded services.

rubyclaire thanked Minardi
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Jake - yes, I meant shower pan (fixed it) and I appreciate your advice!

• 3katz4me
    last month

I had that problem and the guy I had work on my house sealed it from within the shower without tearing anything out. Of course we were selling that house and didn't care if it wasn't a permanent fix. It seems like you should be able to remove the floor and drain only and leave the wall tile as is.

rubyclaire thanked 3katz4me
  • Jake The Wonderdog
    last month

@Minardi: OP stated it was a tile floor - unless I'm mistaken. It's not clear from the interior photos.

@rubyclaire Thanks for the drain photo. I don't know if there's a way to repair that drain... but I'd be really tempted to try it first.

That's a stress crack. I could see cleaning it with sandpaper or light wire brush on a drill, then apply narrow bands of fiberglass mesh embedded in fiberglass resin around the drain from the outside and then clean on inside and apply resin - injecting it into the crack as much as possible.

Let it cure - and then plug the pan and flood it to see if it leaks.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you - I would love it if we could repair the drain!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

Skipping down to relate a friend's experience with a similar issue (replacing the pan) in a ca. 1957 tiled shower. IIRC, they resolved it by leaving the wall tiles in place and retiling over the old floor, with a border that came up a few inches to cover the old contrasting border.

rubyclaire thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks carol - I think my challenge with this shower is they will need to remove the tile "curb" which matches the wall, ceiling and floor tile now. If I have to remove a foot of wall tile, floor tile, curb and some doorway tile, I think it is going to look a bit makeshift. It is entirely possible I lack the vision for this type of project.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County