Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy_lemic

Quartz Backsplash

Suzy Lemic
last month

I am wanting to do a backsplach of quartz up to base of cabinets. I am adding a hood and six burner range. One quartz person said no to behind range and below hood, overtime would fade. Would suggest quartz everywhere but there and to use a tile backsplash there. Other sales person said never heard of it. Any comments?

Comments (18)

• millworkman
    last month

Get the backguard that is made for your stove and you will be ok. Otherwise it is not fading that will happen, it is scorching or burning the quartz.

• la_la Girl
    last month

People tend to feel one way or another about quartz behind a range on here - I have no experience with it so can't comment but If you were concerned, you could do a stainless panel behind the range and quartz everywhere else

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

The range/stovetop that you have may scorch the quartz.

The quartz that you purchase will have different heat tolerances.

My brother bought a commercial style range that required a heat shield between the wall and the range so it wouldn't ignite the studs.

In my last home I had an older gas range and in this home I have an older electric range and in both homes I had a Formica backsplash behind the range and had no issues.

Both ranges had controls on the back of the stove, so the burners and the exhaust was not as close to the wall.

I have read some articles that state that ranges that are designed for island use are the one's causing the scorching.

I have seen a lot of pictures where people installed quartz as a backsplash without the controls on the back and had no scorching and were happy, and I have seen the pictures of scorched quartz backsplashes.

I don't know if tile is really scorching (it is fired at pretty high heat and shouldn't scorch) or if it is the residue from the vents causing grease stains.

To be safe, I would use something else behind the stove unless you have read all the specs and know that you won't get scorched quartz.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

Out of curiosity I just called Cambria. They said that they have found that their quartz can be successfully used as a backsplash as long as the range you have is compatible. All you need to do is e-mail them the make and model of the range and they will let you know if their quartz can be installed behind the stove.

• tboothe46
    last month

It will be a gas cooktop, but thanks, I'll check

• Andee
    last month

The Cambria website section on "backsplashes" shows picture after picture of gas stove tops next to their product.

• PRO
    Zumi
    last month
    last modified: last month

Cambria scorches, just like ALL quartz does. It’s all around 1/3 plastic, after all. The 7% thing is by weight, not volume.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

Every range is different. My Formica backsplash has been behind the range since the 1960s and has not scorched. It is not nearly as heat resistant as quartz.

If you look below at the pics that Debbie posted you wouldn't be able to use tile behind your range either.

• millworkman
    last month

" The Cambria website section on "backsplashes" shows picture after picture of gas stove tops next to their product. "

And most all of those pics are not an actual used or functioning kitchen. There are tons of horror stories about the scorching. Get the backguard or at the very least look very good at the install instructions for the stove you select before making the decision.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last month

My Cambria rep says they'll do it "no problem".....not sure why this isn't an issue for them? She said they've figure out a way. But no clarification. Cambria....can you please post here with your policy on this????

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

When I spoke with the Cambria rep they told me to e-mail them the make and model of the range and they would supply an answer on if I can or cannot use their quartz as a backsplash. They won't just tell you, you must send the information in an e-mail.

They don't want to have a bad reputation or be accused of false advertising. If every Cambria quartz scorched behind every stove they would have been sued for advertising it as safe to use as a backsplash.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    last month

I am a fabricator. Any quartz will discolor over time if exposed to heat. The resin binder is not heat tolerant. If you use quartz behind a cooktop you are taking a risk. I will put it behind a stove or cooktop if the customer insists but require a sign off that the customer accepts responsibility for any future issue.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

There is no way fake plastic stone should go anywhere near heat so no behind a gas range and honestly I have no idea why fake plastic stone is a choice in a kitcehn ever .There are so many beautiful real stones to choose from thta can withstand all the stuff kitchens deal with including as a backspalsh behind a gas range

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

All the pictures I have seen seem to be gas ranges with that vent at the back of it that touches the wall. I had one customer have her tiles get scorched after using the convection setting while making a roast. The rep from the tile company had said they believed it to be the oily heated air venting out of the oven...

I don't know how true that is but we replaced the tiles and the customer used a stainless splatter shield whenever she does anything in the oven

• darbuka
    last month

In the wall behind my range top, the GC installed steel studs, and a fireproof barrier in front of the studs before the drywall went up. This was done even though I was putting in a tile backsplash, with no oven vent to harm it. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Gigiof4
    last month

My quartz backsplash was installed a couple of years ago. It looks the same as the day it was installed. I cook several days a week. I love it. Everything wipes right off.

I had not read anything prior to installing it about the possibility of scorching. Since then I have felt the backsplash several times when cooking and it’s not really even warm. I have an electric cooktop. Maybe it would be different if I cooked with gas.

• darbuka
    last month

@Gigiof4, it’s not the heat from a cooktop that scorches quartz backsplashes. Rather, it’s the escaping heat from an oven range’s back vent, that’s responsible. Even a gas cooktop or rangetop will not harm the plastic resins in quartz. It’s strictly due to an oven’s escaping heat, from a vent installed against the backsplash. The higher the heat, the more likely the damage.