Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_heckenlively

Advice on Slab backsplash

Emily H
last month
last modified: last month

I am using marble for my perimeter countertops and backsplash. I can’t decide if i should just use marble behind the range or try to use it for the entire BS. If i use it as the entire backsplash i will need a seam and i cant find a good place for it. i could also do two seams on either side of the range. the length of the splash is 145” and the slab is 130”.

Comments (18)

• Boxerpal
    last month

I love love love my slab backsplash.

I do have two seams. I will never go back to a tile backsplash. I find it cleaner and easier to care for.

Here is a photo of mine

You can see the seam ever so slightly

• RedRyder
    last month

You have a perfect example from @Boxerpal on how seams can be nearly invisible. Use the slab you love and make sure to discuss the seam and how it will be done with your marble experts. Most stone countertops have “movement” and seams. Making seams unnoticeable is their job.

The slab is beautiful!

• la_la Girl
    last month

Gorgeous marble! we did a quartzite slab BS 10+ years ago and still love it - we have 2 seams behind our sink and like Red Ryder said, you can’t really see them

one suggestion would be to rework your outlets (where you can) so they don’t interrupt the slab- we figured out what would need to be permanently plugged in on the counter (for us it was the coffee pot and the toaster) and put in horizontal plugs down low by the counter for those small appliances —and then all other outlets are tucked up under the cabs (i didnt want cords hanging down for the toaster and coffee pot) - outlets are easy to use when the mixer or blender comes out)— just something to think about, definitely share pics when its done!

• Emily H
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you everyone! ok i’m going to go for it. i kept seeing all these posts about bad marble seams on here and got really nervous. my fabricator will use some of the excess to show me how a seam would look. i will see if he has some suggestions on where to pair it up.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

I think if you have a good fabricator the seams will be close to invisible and for sure once the things you need on the counter will take your eye away from the seam. I love the counter and yes for all the backsplash

• HU-910663146
    last month

Those with marble can speak to this issue, but I would think tomato sauce and a white marble backsplash are not a good mix.

Emily H thanked HU-910663146
  • charlesg270
    last month

What a great topic. I will be doing a kitchen soon and wondered about this. BoxerPal, is your backsplash marble or granite? I used the electrical outlets tucked up under my cabinets in my previous kitchen and you can barely see them - good solution, and cheaper probably than cutting into a slab. This photo's angle makes them more visible than walking in the kitchen.

• Boxerpal
    last month

@charlesg270

My backsplash is marble,

We decided not to cut into the marble with outlets so have plug mold under the upper cabinets. We did have a hole put in for the pot-filler.

Even the phone can be charged under the cabinets

• Emily H
    Original Author
    last month

We are actually planning on the outlets under the cabinets. should look nice!

• chispa
    last month

There are "cleaner" ways to do this. The LED lights have gotten even smaller and no "bulbs" reflecting on the counter.

Here is my plugmold and under cabinet lighting.

• blueskysunnyday
    last month

We did a marble slab backsplash and have several seams but it is a larger area than yours (I think) and turns a corner. The area behind and flanking the range is all cut from one continuous piece but the fabricator refused to try to install it in one piece — said it was too fragile and pieces would be safer. However, upon cutting, the marble kept crumbling so the cut crept farther and farther into the slab. Therefore, the veining does not match up as well as it was supposed to. I’m not super-happy with our seams either. If I could go back I would still do it but I would ask your fabricator about all of these things. We had Danby marble and used the most experienced/respected fabricator in our area FYI.

Emily H thanked blueskysunnyday
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    last month

@blueskysunnyday thank you. marble is so pretty but seems to be so finicky. i will ask them what they think. thank you for the advice! if youre open to it, a photo would be nice!

• blueskysunnyday
    last month

As you can see, the seam is terrible.

Emily H thanked blueskysunnyday
  • Shasta
    last month

I have a Danby marble backsplash with seams and I love it. It was done in 2017. No problems with cutting the slab.

• HU-918119203
    last month

I would do a full backsplash behind the range and a short 3-4" lip backsplash around the rest of the perimeter, with the seams on either side of the larger range piece. Much less chance of noticeable seams and a clean look.

Emily H thanked HU-918119203
  • HU-910663146
    last month

Gorgeous kitchens everyone!

Blueskysunnyday, I know you are not exactly happy, but I bet no one sees that the seams are not 2000% perfect but you. The little bit that you shared looks very lovely! Great looking color combinations.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

I would go with the full marble counter and backsplash. If you have a reputable dealer, the seams should not be a problem. Mine are perfect. Sorry I don’t have a picture as I am not at home right now now to take one. I love the look of counter and backsplash the same granite, marble whatever!

debra