Jackie

Comments (6)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last month

Just gorgeous, Jackie!

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you - every time I go outside right now there are new surprises - my old, frequently wild garden hides gems which have been there for years, like this ancient Eugene de Beauharnais bush, blooming along with the Japanese quince, and I think I also see a bloom of Odorata in there:

Also, here is today's version of my rhododendron and helebore (which I don't remember planting), color coordinated, but not by me:

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    last month

Well, you certainly spoke truly there, Jackie, and you have achieved a nice jungly-ness that allows lots of room for pleasant surprises. I too have a high appreciation for my brilliant collaborator Mother Nature, and am happy to have had my garden for twenty years, because a lot happens in that period, and a surprising amount of it leaves traces.

I was tired today (again), but putzed around on the paved terrace, and, feeling better later on, went on to try to get a portion of 'Mme. Alfred Carrière' back up on her pergola. We untied it last year and let it fall where it might while we re-built the pergola, but the thought of wrestling with all that mighty rose was intimidating and I never did it.. However, today I tugged and cut and guided and tied, and got a part of it up. Only a portion will be put back up; the remainder will fall over and mingle with the pittosporum and yellow buddleia and make pleasant surprises for the passersby. It's setting buds now but has hardly started blooming.

A curiosity: I have never in my life seen better flowers on 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' than the ones she is opening now. Large, well-colored, fragrant: fine, but they're opening fully, while the lady's blooms generally have a tendency to remain cupped, and these are coming in March. Go figure.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last month

Melissa - if you can, I am sure everyone would love it if you post pics of your MAC when it blooms.

Decades ago we had a 100 mph wind storm knock 2 three story high by 20 ft wide roses (banksia lutea and Cl Cecile Brunner) off of our house - they fell into the driveway, and made a long mound which was about 8-9 feet tall and covered 45 feet of our driveway. We spent the next 2-3 days pruning, and getting up on ladders to put both roses back onto the house (we had to be fast, as we had 3 vehicles stranded as our garage is in the back of our property). To my astonishment, none of the truly large & long main canes had broken - they just bent over. This was mid-winter, and by the following Spring both roses were growing and blooming better than they had before - they were both back up to 3 stories tall within about 2 years. So, I am sure your MAC will respond well also, and the situation reminds me of the old English saying: "growth follows the knife".

So interested to hear about your Mrs. B.R. Cant - it always amazes me how dfferent roses act differenttly depending, in many cases, on the weather - maybe she likes drought followed by a lot of rain!

Jackie

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    last month
    last modified: last month

Jackie, I may try to photograph MAC if I can get her up on the pergola, but my experience taking pictures of climbers, where it's necessary to stand back to get a good portion of the plant, has not been too fortunate: closeups are far easier. Anyway, she's a great rose. I'll be glad to get the rest of the pergola covered. 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' has occupied a surprising amount of it, while 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt' is mostly heading up the flowering ash. I want the rest covered, shady, full of pale fragrant blooms, and incidentally I want to get the terrace neat and an appropriate setting for such beautiful flowers: it's been a mess all winter.

P.S. I know about those storms. Had a thirty foot 'Treasure Trove', and the mature black locust it was climbing on, come down in high wind; and the remarkable ice storm of 2017 felled a good portion of 'Archduke Joseph' and its supporting persimmon. What a mess. But, as you say, they both came back fine.

P.S. Some roses need pruning, as even I agree, but I'm not sure MAC cares. I cut out the dead growth and some that was senescent, for looks and to make handling easier, but my impression is that she'd bloom amazingly without any pruning at all.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    last month

Mine, which reached the top of a tall tree within 2 years of being planted, has bloomed fine since, with no pruning at all, except when some overly energetic canes did fall down in storms.

Jackie