Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_fhima

curtain rod screw/anchor coming out of the wall to fix

Daniel Fhima
last month

I installed a curtain rod from ikea with the provided hardware. One of the screws is coming out of the wall. It was in an anchor. I’m not sure if the anchor broke in the wall. Is there an easy way to repair this in a way that is safe and won’t fall down?

Comments (12)

• A Mat
    last month

Thecurtain rod mayhave been too heavy for the fastener, or user error.

Remove and replace. How much does the curtain rod assembly weigh?

Are you attempting to fasten to dry wall. Are you familar with toggle bolts? Didyour ikea come with blue anchors? I do not like the hammer into drywall anchors.

Your walls maybe chalk and shoud be treated as such.

Are you able to find wall studs? Any building experience/exposure?

• Daniel Fhima
    Original Author
    last month

It is drywall and I don’t know the weight but they’re very light.

It was similar to the blue anchor. They were white but they were the hammer in type. Not familiar with toggle anchors. The studs were too far away from where it needed to be around the window on that side.

No real building experience. Minimal DIY stuff

• A Mat
    last month

Are you able to Google ”toggle bolts”?

• ci_lantro
    last month
    last modified: last month

Rare earth magnets would well for locating hidden fasteners in drywall. $3 for a pack of 10 at Harbor Freight.

Toggler Snaptoggles are the best toggle bolts that I have used. (If you are not fastening into studs.) But you will need to pick up some machine screws in matching diameter & thread size to use with the Snaptoggles. The screws that come with curtain rod hardware won't work with them. (Lowe's stocks Snaptoggles.)

Daniel Fhima thanked ci_lantro
  • Daniel Fhima
    Original Author
    last month

@ci_lantro I'm pretty new to DIY/home repairs, so I apologize if this is a "dumb" question but how do I install one of these without having to punch a hole in the wall that will be wider than the curtain hardware? I wouldn't want it to show the hole.

Also, can I use these in the same place as I originally had that screw/anchor installed?

• ci_lantro
    last month

The 'washer' face of the 3/16" snaptoggle is 5/8" x 5/8"; the 1/4" is 5/8' x 3/4". So, as long as the bracket is at least the width of the toggle 'washer', it would be hidden. Otherwise, it is quite thin & unobtrusive. Possibly paint to match the wallcolor? Way up next to the ceiling so would likely almost disappear.

• A Mat
    last month

Yes, you can use a toggle bolt in the existing wall anchor hole, push the white anchor through the sheet rock, insert a toggle bolt.

• ci_lantro
    last month

Yes, the Toggler Snaptoggles require drilling 1/2" hole. So long as existing hole is 1/2" or less and so long as the back side of the drywall is not massively blown out.

• klem1
    last month

Danny,Danny,Danny you wear me out. (: Geather hammer ,pliers and the smallest diameter nail you have that is more than 1.50" long. There is two 2x4 stacked behind drywall 1/2 inch deep in wall. Starting in the existing hole gently tap nail in until it either becomes harder to drive or only 1/4 of nail is still visible. If you can't retrive nail with your fingers,use pliers. If nail didn't hit wood ,move up 3/4 inch and try again. When nail hits wood, pull it out and use 1.50 inch or longer screw to mount hardware.

• Lorraine Leroux
    last month

It looks like the hole is too big for the plug and it has come loose. I like to use what are called Walldriller anchors. They are a plug that has a screw base on it. I find they hold much better and they are larger so they will fill the hole you already have.

• jrb451
    last month