Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_378480107

Dining Room Help

A Zost
last month

Room desperately needs some help and color.

Table, chairs, flooring, board and batten, and light fixture stay.

Seeking help with rug, centerpiece, what to do with walls. Pictures are helpful.

TYIA!

Comments (17)

• Sigrid
    last month

I'd put plates or baskets on one of the walls. A gallery wall might work, too. On the other wall, I'd do a mirror, as your room is narrow.

My Houzz: Chic Boho Style for a Hawaii Apartment · More Info

Then I'd get a colorful runner for the center of the table.

Eclectic White, Gray + Red Dining Room with Modern Light Fixture, Oval Dining Ta · More Info

Kanae Lot 1 · More Info

Formal Dining Room · More Info

Simple, long and low for the centerpiece

Dining Room · More Info

• la_la Girl
    last month

are you liking the dark grey walls or no?

• lisaam
    last month

A more colorful centerpiece or table runner and some art that you truly love will be a good start to warm up your room. The round baskets do add texture in a warm color but they seem a bit anonymous to me. Be patient and look for what calls you.

All the pieces so far are fine.

• Paul F.
    last month
    last modified: last month

Remove drapery and use shades like jck910 says. Sigrid's idea of rattan, baskets and organic materials will add life.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

IMO the B&B is too high so now any art work would aslo be too high in fact in a DR I often hang art even lower that in other spaces Maybe some really cool wallpaper .maybe something like this and then a really low long gold rectangula dish for a center piece

• njmomma
    last month

I love this look.........Wallpaper above the B&B, Remove Drapes and add Roman Shades. To me, those windows are very narrow and the drapes don't work. I like a neutral rug, like in this picture and the centerpieces. Of course, get centerpieces that match the fixture for the table.

Warm and Modern Dining Room · More Info

• D M PNW
    last month

Some Roman shades, either real or faux, could fill the wall space above the curtains to add pattern or texture. The curtains are a little too long, or not long enough to puddle.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    last month

You can introduce personality into any room by adding a large canvas artwork that captures attention and is sure to captivate anyone who enters.

I servived · More Info

Large Acrylic paintings for wall decor · More Info

new abstract art · More Info

• nelliebean
    last month

I think a sideboard or a glass etagere would look nice between the two windows. Could you sweep the drapes to one side and have them swooped with a tie back. I normally really like chairs lined up like you have them but I think if you want to make the room look wider you might want to move a chair to either end of the table. I think a nice oriental rug with colour (any would work since your room is neutral) would bring life to the room. Your light is unique so you don't want to add to much to detract from it.

• ocotillaks
    last month

When I look at this dining room, I feel like I'm going to be launched out the windows. The gray needs to go in favor a wall color with a warmer undertone. It screams of a mental institution.

Paint suggestions: Behr Upbeat P300-5, Gilded M300-4, and Romanesque Gold PPU6-15.

Wall art Kuna Molas

Molas and other Guna art - San Blas Islands · More Info

Molas and other Guna art - San Blas Islands · More Info

• juliekrawchuk
    last month

Perhaps consider changing the wall colour to something warm and very light, trim same colour, loose the panels. Light fixture seems very large and heavy for the area but perhaps just the photo angle. Look like you have blinds on the windows already, do you need the drapes for privacy, to me they really draw in the eye. Best wishes

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month

Some inspro

Dining Room - Kintyre Model - 2014 Spring Parade of Homes · More Info

• PRO
    last month

Here is example how to go with wall art.

Brinley's Cove · More Info

• PRO
    last month

Hillview Custom Home · More Info

• acm
    last month

It would help to start with art you like, and then echo the colors in a rug and in a lighter wall color. Actually, I think I might do no rug here, as it just makes the space feel even narrower, but color would leaven the dark floor.

Eclectic Dining Room · More Info

Modern meets traditional home in the suburbs · More Info

I'm usually against mirrors in dining rooms because nobody wants to watch themselves eat, but yours will be so high that it *could* be ok with a beautiful frame, probably gold.

Anyway, here's one mockup to help you visualize. I didn't do quite as well with the runner as I would have liked! :))

• A Zost
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Hi all,

These are some GREAT ideas and thank you for the pictures! The mental institution comment really got me laughing :)

I took the curtains down and the board and batten (installed by the previous owner) is not centered. It ends about 3” from the window on the left and an 1” from the window on the right. I immediately went NOPE and put the curtains back up. I like the board and batten but the curtains are definitely hiding that imperfection!

I also have very close neighbors, and this room looks directly into their bright blue garbage cans :( as such, I like the windows somewhat covered. That being said, the room is also super dark and I want some natural light. I can’t win! The current blinds are custom (previous owner) and match the rest of the house, so I’m hesitant to take down.

Do you think that replacing the the rods with black, getting clip hangers, and putting everything at a proper height (either higher and not pooling or lower and pooling correctly) would help? I did at least try to stick with a sheer fabric.

Not married to the dark gray, and don’t hate the idea of wallpaper.

What editing app do you all use? I love all the pictures - they help so much!