Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supernewb

Is it too much kitchen?

supernewb
last month
last modified: last month

I may be the minority here, but I worry we are going too big with the kitchen. Is it possible to have too many cabinets?

Adding updated kitchen layout.

Comments (19)

• kandrewspa
    last month

I think a person can have too many cabinets because they're expensive and there's no sense in buying more than what you need. Whether this kitchen contains too many cabinets for you is something only you can determine. We don't know how many people you're cooking for routinely, how much you entertain and whether you have a lot of different small appliances or are a stockpiler of non perishables. Have you inventoried everything in your current kitchen and thought about how much storage space you need? It's a tedious process, but it's necessary if you want to get the configuration right. To me the island looks odd, and I don't know what's in the wall with the pantry cabinet. Is the whole wall floor to ceiling cabinetry?

supernewb thanked kandrewspa
  • Jenny
    last month

Are you expanding your kitchen? If so, how many square feet is your house? As an extreme example, if your kitchen is 1/3 the size of your house, it's too much kitchen.

supernewb thanked Jenny
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last month

Only you know how much space you need to store the things you own. I keep a close watch on my inventory of small appliances and kitchen gadgets and only keep those things that I actually use. I have a standard 10x10 kitchen and it is enough space.

I know others who cook for a lot more people, cook a larger variety of items and need much more space and I know some who never cook anything and have huge kitchens and every gadget known to man kind.

supernewb thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • btydrvn
    last month

I think you may be going too big..a kitchen that requires too much walking to all the areas you use often..is too big…and cabinets you have to climb to reach are a pain…my solution is always to get very creative with a pantry..with all open shelving for easy access..( not having to open doors to look for things) a convenient triangle for stove ..sink… and pantry ..is ideal…in my kitchen I love more windows..less cabinet uppers..

supernewb thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    last month

Lastly ..a pantry with no door (or a pocket door that can be open while cooking) makes cooking way easier…Lastly a pantry with full openness makes it easier to keep up with what you need to replace..without going thru all the cabinets before shopping

supernewb thanked btydrvn
  • supernewb
    Original Author
    last month

The house is 3019 square feet. and is a gut remodel. New everything, ceilings, walls, electrical, hvac, etc. The whole area is about 483 sq ft and is open concept and will include a dining and seating area opposite. I am thinking now more of an island like this:

San Blas - Transitional - Kitchen - San Diego - by Jula Cole Design | Houzz

and the pantry wall similar to this:

Rustic Industrial Kitchen - Transitional - Kitchen - Other - by KSI Kitchen & Bath | Houzz

We currently have a large pantry with two swingout doors and I love being able to see it all at once.

I will admit that even getting this far was quite the ordeal.

• palimpsest
    last month

I feel like I see a number of narrow cabinets in this kitchen.

• anj_p
    last month

I think your layout could be different and more functional but we can't see the full floorplan so can't advise.

You should get 36" drawer bases instead of 2-18s. I wouldn't go smaller than 24" unless I had to. For the rest, who knows.

• vinmarks
    last month

It wouldn’t be too big for us. I have a large kitchen and it works great for us. But everyone is different. Do you have a lot of kitchen stuff? Do you cook often? We do have alot of kitchen stuff. We cook 7 days a week.

supernewb thanked vinmarks
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

I have a similarly sized house with a kitchen roughly the same size plus I have an additional walk in pantry space so this does not appear to be too much kitchen. I would do a different cabinet layout for sure but that’s just me, this may be the perfect layout for you.

supernewb thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Rho Dodendron
    last month

If you decide this is too uch kitchen--what will you do with the extra space?

• Buehl
    last month

It doesn't look too big to me. I do, however, think the layout could be more functional.

Oh, and your island in both layouts doesn't have the minimum recommended seating overhang for any of the seats - 15" of clear leg/knee space is the minimum recommended for counter-height seating. (12" is for bar-height, which is what people used to put in years ago but have since moved away from in favor of islands & peninsulas all one height.)

• HU-402831377
    last month

I don't think the kitchen looks too big for the size of your house. I would switch your regular sink and dishwasher with the prep sink.

supernewb thanked HU-402831377
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I see better arrangements within the plan, but hard to say what is right for you .

How many kids, who cooks and how often and how many cooks at one time? How do you like to entertain and how many? Even down to your prep and cook methods......you're mis en place neat as a pin, or you tend to let it all hang out? Your kids are teens and THEY cook? Lots of questions only you can answer, right down to appliances.

The island dining PLUS using it as the major cleanup sink seems not a great idea, given you have dining nearby. The prep sink on the perimeter would make more sense placed on the island if ANY sink would be on the island.

The two lounge chairs seem in the middle of nowhere......

For better input, post the living floor in its entirety and you need more general information that applies to you and your family.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

The plan is a bit odd . I hope all those bas cabinets are drawers . Only you know how many cabinets you need I have never had too many.The drawers you show by the range are too small . The walkway in front of the fridge is too small. I think the space is very large for no real reason but to comment on that I need to see a whole house floorplan. When clients are finalizing a plan I always suggest they pretend to make a simple pasta dinner with a sald and see how many trips across the kitchen you need to make to do thta . Is that a trip you are willing to make dialy when making dinner . IMO a galley kitcehn is often the most functional . You have all the basics for a good kitchen all in one area and all the rest wasted space . So that space between the islabnd and the dining table is just dead useless space .

supernewb thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Kendrah
    last month

There might not be too many. They might not be the best sizes for the particular location they are in. What do you intend to put in the 18 and 21" cabinets? How many uppers are you doing, if any?

• HU-910663146
    last month

The distance I would be focusing on is the distance between the refrigerator and the sink. Then I would be looking at whether that is a french door refrigerator or another type and the size of the doors on that refrigerator. How close that door(s) is(are) when they are open to the sink. The 48" measures from the cabinet to the sink, but your refrigerator is not a counter-top depth. At least in the second picture.

• vinmarks
    last month

I would move the cleanup sink and dishwasher to under the window where the prep sink is. Move the prep sink to the island and move the fridge to the wall where B30 is.

It would drive me insane having the fridge behind the island. I also would not want someone sitting at the back side of the island. To me that area is the working area. You do not want people sitting in that area or people traipsing through to get something out of the fridge while cooking is going on.

Here is my kitchen. It is on the larger side and is U-shaped like yours.