Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shinyspork

Breakfast Nook to Coffee/Tea/Bar/Pantry?

Shiny Spork
last month
last modified: last month

My entry-kitchen-dining area is pretty strange. Marked on the layout "breakfast nook" is what this has traditionally been. But as you can see we just put freestanding cabinets because we need (or think we need) more storage and a spot for coffee and such. We're considering swapping the freestanding furniture for cabinets and counter top where the short cabinet is and shallow pantry where the freestanding cabinets are. However, I cannot shake the feeling that this is a bad use of space. But we don't need a breakfast nook at all. The dining room is right next to the kitchen.

I need different thoughts and ideas. I thought about banquettes which would look good with a table but it doesn't solve my coffee and storage dilemma - just the awkward excess space part. We would rather not do anything that requires refinishing the floors or ceilings, but that's about my only preference at this point.

As far as style, we're mostly contemporary with a touch of organic textures and global patterns. I like contrast so the black-white-wood thing appeals to me but we want lots of art on the walls for color.

The fountain on the floor is for the cat. Willing to move well, everything that's not nailed down. Just need a spot for the old fuzzy buddy.

Layout (revised measurements):

From Kitchen View

From Entry:

Comments (8)

• rebasheba
    last month

If you installed full-depth (or even extra depth) cabinets, you would be able to put away the appliances currently on the wheeled cart, and have your coffee gear on that counter. Is it working for you to have the coffee set up over there -- away from water and fridge?

To be honest I would be looking to redo the closet situation and go from there.

Shiny Spork thanked rebasheba
  • Shiny Spork
    Original Author
    last month

I know the closet setup is a little strange too. How would you tackle that?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

IMO rip out the closet and then see how the space works , what else is behind that odd angled closet . The whole layout is odd so IMO a rework of that are is a must. maybe even the clset facing the door to create an enty closed off from the kitchen .

Shiny Spork thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Shiny Spork
    Original Author
    last month

There’s nothing behind the closet - it’s just an exterior wall. But I’m getting the impression that I can’t ignore or work with the existing closet if I want to make a meaningful change to the storage and flow of the area.

• amystoller
    last month

I agree the closet is awkward, but before you rip it out, think about what you store in there now, and what you would like to store in there in an ideal world. Do you have other places that would accommodate some of the current contents in a way you could be happy with? Would you be okay with hooks on the wall and a storage bench instead of a coat closet? I can't provide a solution, but one thing I've learned from renovating my own home is that asking enough of the right questions can really help you come up with answers that you like. Good luck!

Shiny Spork thanked amystoller
  • mcarroll16
    last month

I agree with kandrewspa. It's worth it to rework the closet. Here's a quick draft. I'm not sure if this works--your diagram shows a 60" wide door, the door in your picture does not look that wide. But I think this could be adapted to fit a shorter wall.

• Move sidelight to the closet side of the wall. Can be right in the corner, with a moveable bench in front, or start where the bench ends, depending on the actual width of that wall.
    • Have a bench with shoe storage underneath, maybe coat hooks above. This bench helps make the gap between doorway and closet protrusion look visually logical.
    • Make the closet as long as you need. I would make part of it a utility/cleaning closet with broom and vacuum storage. Include a power outlet so you can keep a cordless stick vac charged.

Shiny Spork thanked mcarroll16
  • Shiny Spork
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Hmm, you're right that the door isn't likely to be 60". I will remeasure.

Edit: 59" included my sidelight so I ended up counting it twice. The picture has been updated with the fix.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!