Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

Looking for feedback on Grohe & Moen faucets

paul_ma
last month
last modified: last month

I currently have a Brizo Venuto pull down faucet in my kitchen. (Since 2008.) It is causing me trouble and I have decided to replace it. I like the look of it so I'm seeking something similar. After a trip to a showroom I have identified two possible replacements:

Grohe Zedra Model 32283003

Moen Sleek Model #7871SRS

The Moen looks and operates almost identically to my Brizo. The Grohe has a somewhat different one-handle control that I think I prefer. It also has a much smaller spray head - only an inch or so wide. This does give it an attractive sleek look but I'm concerned that it might not be as usable. It looks feels like it might be awkward to hold and switch between spray and stream. (The showroom didn't have either of them hooked up to try with water.)

Does anyone here have experience (pro or con) with either of these or similar models of these brands?

Can anyone suggest other brands/models with similar design and function that I should consider?

Comments (15)

• darbuka
    last month

Best faucet reviews out there. The kitchen forum has relied on this reputible company for many years. The most thorough reviews, and spot on.

• paul_ma
    Original Author
    last month

@darbuka Thank you. That is interesting. I was thinking Grohe was still a high quality European manufacturer. This makes me lean more in the direction of Moen.

But those reviews are general ones of the companies. I am still looking for first hand reviews of actual faucets.

• vinmarks
    last month

I used Grohe in my previous house master bath and was very happy with the hand shower and fixed head. We only had one issue with the master bath shower and it was 15 years old by then. Grohe sent us new part free of charge. In my current house I have Grohe bath faucets, master shower handheld and second bath tub shower faucet and all have been good for 6 years now, Can’t say the same for my Delta kitchen faucet which leaked and caused damage to my wood floors and damage to items in storage room below my kitchen. And the leak was from within the faucet not supply lines. Faucet was 5 years old. I expected more from Delta. Sure they sent us new faucet but we had to fight to get compensated for damages. A 5 year old faucet shouldnt fail that badly.

• paul_ma
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks @vinmarks, what was the vintage of those Grohe faucets? According to the reference posted above Grohe at some point moved its manufacturing overseas from Germany and reduced their quality.

Also, I'm hoping somebody here has faucets similar to those I'm considering. (Maybe that is too much to hope for.)

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    last month

The first thing I always look for is the faucet reach. The Grohe only has a 7 3/4" reach, which will force you to bend quite a bit when using the sink. Subtract at least 2 inches to see where the water will fall in the sink. In this case, it will fall about 5 3/4" from the back wall of the sink. The Moen has roughly the same reach; however, the faucet is angled toward the user—somewhat better but nowhere near comfortable. If you are looking for a backache, these faucets are likely to comply with your wishes! Most faucet manufacturers ignore basic human ergonomics. What a shame! For example, Waterstone extended reach faucets have an 11" reach. I am sure there are others who come close as well.

• paul_ma
    Original Author
    last month

@Rachiele Custom Sinks, Interesting - something I hadn't considered. I just measured and if I understand the definition of reach then the reach of my existing Brizo Venuto is 9.5" and the head is angled out. It was installed so that the water stream goes directly into the sink drain. I plan to use the same counter hole, so a smaller reach will function differently.

That will make finding a suitable replacement more difficult.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    last month

Perhaps this diagram will be somewhat helpful.

• paul_ma
    Original Author
    last month

That is what I thought.

• M Miller
    last month

On the one hand, Rachiele is correct about spout reach. Spout reach is important for comfort at the sink. I look for faucets with a spout reach of 9-11". On websites like build dot com, you can search for faucets using spout reach as a criteria. But on the other hand, Rachiele pushes Waterstone faucets on this forum. He doesn't mention the price of Waterstone faucets. The one in his posted diagram above starts at about $2,100. Since your OP has faucets in the $300 range, I thought you should know that information.

Your Brizo Venuto has a spout reach of 9.5". If you go for a longer spout reach than that, I advise you to make an aluminum foil template of a faucet with the longer spout reach and see how it fits in your sink.

The Hansgrohe Allegro E Gourmet HighArc Faucet #04066 has a reach of 10.375". Hansgrohe is a reputable faucet manufacturer (IMHO better than Grohe). The Hansgrohe Allegro E line has a number of different models. I am not sure of the spout reaches of the other Allegro E models. The price of model #04066 in polished chrome is $585.

https://www.faucet.com/hansgrohe-04066-steel-optik-allegro-e-1-75-gpm-pull-down-kitchen-faucet-gourmet-higharc-spout-with-magnetic-docking-locking/f704604

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    last month

Just a quick note. The extended reach Waterstone faucets start at $1322.25, including delivery. When people call me, I have a list of alternative brands that have long reaches that I mention as well. For example, my alternate favorite is the Kohler Graze, which has a reach of 10 3/4" and the price starts just above $500.

• vinmarks
    last month

@Paul_ma Our previous house was built in 2001.

• paul_ma
    Original Author
    last month

This is all good feedback. Responses to all above:

• I'm not going to pay anything close to $1000 for this faucet!
    • Since the mounting point for the faucet is fixed by the existing hole in my counter, I would prefer a reach as close as possible to the 9.5" of my existing faucet. But I also have other constraints:
    • The finish needs to be stainless like all the other metal in my kitchen.
    • There is a cabinet 17" above, so max height must be less than that. (Existing is 15.5".)
    • The site that @darbuka references above says much of Hansgrohe is now made in China. Not entirely clear how that has affected quality.
  • M Miller
    last month

Go on the Build dot com website, and sort for the following: finish: stainless steel; faucet holes: 1; spout reach: 9 to 10"; Height (not spout height): up to 16". You'll get faucets to choose from with your criteria.

Or, just get a new Brizo Venuto.

• paul_ma
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thanks for all the help. After realizing that reach was important to me the available options reduced dramatically. I was left with only the Grohe Zedra Model 32298DC3.

(I did give some thought to getting another Brizo Venuto, but it is discontinued and I couldn't find any new ones.)

I decided to order the Zedra from Amazon, and it just arrived. It does seem to have a lot of plastic parts. (Internal parts. All the visible parts seem to be real metal with the exception of the face of the sprayer.) This doesn't give me great confidence, but given I had little choice it is what it is and I'll hope for the best.

I'll report back after it is installed.

• paul_ma
    Original Author
    7 days ago

I"ve had it operational for a few days now. I like it except the flow rate is disappointing. It"s rated at 1.75gpm. It doesn't seem like much. Is there a way to increase it? The spray head has a filter in its neck and what might be a washer or filter under that. The plumber was hesitant remove it, saying that it might break the sprayer and may not survive removal to be replaced. Was he just being a ninny?

I'm also having trouble learning to control the sprayer. It seems to have a mind of its own regarding the high vx. low power spray. Is there a technique for controlling it?