Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

Primary Bathroom too big--need ideas?

Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
last month
last modified: last month

This is the original bathroom in our 1990 home. As you can see, the tub is wayyy too big and the shower barely fits one person. Also there are zero doors on anything. Weird...

We will be hiring someone to assist with the plan but I was wondering what people here would do if this was YOUR bathroom. I'm thinking complete gut but then what???

I want to demolish the tub and make one big shower somewhere...maybe where the shower already is but extend it along that whole wall.

Add doors, especially to the toilet area

Replace the vanity

My husband was thinking of adding a laundry area/room. Our main one is on the main floor of the house in the mudroom. I am on the fence...

What else would we put in the room? As you can see from the photos, we already have a really large closet and linen closet.

Vanity, from listing photo. You can see how it opens to the master bedroom; no door!

Swimming pool bathtub and puddle shower:

Linen closet

Toilet, again, no door:

Looking into bathroom from bedroom. Vanity is to the left

Here is what I have from previous owner

First floor. Kitchen is below bathroom in question

Comments (19)

• millworkman
    last month

Need a floor plan with all dimensions to really offer help. Also are you willing to move plumbing, walls, etc? The entire floor plan of home or floor if multi-story would be most beneficial as well.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Drawing please ? Really accurate , every single wall, window, doorway, opening , passage etc in feet and inches. Bold, legible, and if possible , use 1/2" to one one foot scale, no issue if you need 1/4" to fit it on paper.

Load it below as a jpeg.

There is no way to advise until you do that: )

If you have the floor plan ( builder ) of that living floor? Extremely helpful as well.

• K Laurence
    last month

Agree with advice re dimensions . My 2 cents based upon personal experience. In my previous home I had laundry room relocated to the second floor, best thing ever since most of our laundry was generated on the second floor. We also had a huge ”Roman” tub removed and replaced with a large walk in shower, loved it. It was so large that water rarely spattered onto the glass enclosure.

• auntthelma
    last month

Is there a second shower behind the shower curtain?

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    last month

No that’s the doorless toilet room🤷🏻‍♀️

Original Author
    last month

I added floorplan to first post

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

I think you could consider making the tub 5ft instead of 6, adding that ft to the shower - changing those windows and run the shower all the way to the wall incorporating the angle. Change the linen closet - make it wider, add the laundry and linen as one closet. Move the sinks over to the right.

The toilet room is long at 7 ft. You could get away with 5 but thats another window to move.

I'm sure you will get lots of great ideas!

Painted Peggies (zone 6a) thanked Debbi Washburn
    Original Author
    last month

@debbi thanks!

We want to remove the tub altogether—there is another tub in the home

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

Oh well then do a huge shower where the tub is and make the current shower a linen closet or upper and lower piece that looks like furniture and stay with a wide vanity and stackable where current linen closet is - if it fits in depth. It may choke the hallway too much depending on the size of the units.

• Kendrah
    last month

I have more questions, rather than ideas:

Is your bedroom as large as you want it to be? Do you have any need to steal sq ft from the bathroom / dressing room side of the suite?

Any advantage to your walk-in closet doors opening into your bedroom instead?

Do you ever used the seated vanity or are you happy with two sinks no vanity? Or one sink?

I think the squished a small shower in there so they didn't have to figure out what to do about windows in the shower. A medium to large sized shower will feel like a huge improvement. Some people like jumbo sized showers, though I have heard they can get really cold. What do you want in a shower - a bench, multiple shower heads?

Excited to see how this unfolds.

Painted Peggies (zone 6a) thanked Kendrah
    Original Author
    last month

Bumping for those who requested a floorplan

• Shawna
    last month

You could do stackable laundry units on the one end of that vanity or where current shower is.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You need the second floor plan . Nobody can read as you posted, and unless ALL walls are in identical placement it is rather meaningless.

You need to either do the homework with a tape measure, or come back when you have have gotten a plan from a pro and we'll opine.

Too hard? Welllllll it's the only way: )

There is no "just do this" way to a great bath.

Original Author
    last month

Can you clarify? you can’t read what I posted?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

I'd continue the shower through to where the dead space at the end of the tub is and incorporate the window into the shower. Then demo the tub and put in a freestanding one.

Furnace Townhouse · More Info

JAS Design-Build: Bathrooms · More Info

• AnnKH
    last month

I think what Jan means is that floor plans are better than words. The pictures help, but the builder plans you show probably are not the same as the as-built dimensions - the bay window in the kitchen is not matched upstairs. We need accurate measurements of walls, doors, and windows to give the most useful advice.

• shirlpp
    last month

Can you clarify? you can’t read what I posted?

Yup! The blueprints are hard to read not unless someone will take the time with a magnifying glass.

You have the ear of good designers on this thread - Girl! Use it to your advantage and create layouts on graph paper(readable) and post.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Don't make us guess? Print , measure/correct walls or lack of wall , return as a jpeg uploaded to comments. All walls, windows Everything.

Yes..all. : ) Bold/legible.

Painted Peggies (zone 6a) thanked JAN MOYER