Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneira777

Hydrangea bobo vs hydrangea little quick fire vs little lime

I am trying to create a low border in part shade with summer interest. I would like to incorporate a dwarf hydrangea. I am debating between these three. I might have little quick fire, but I am not sure as I inherited it. In terms of summer and fall color, (rosy color), which one would you recommend? Or just overall..,

Comments (15)

• chrysalids
    last month
    last modified: 29 days ago

Bobo. I have a nine Bobo hedge and I love it. I posted a photo of it here last season I think, You can search Google and find it. The only thing is that panicle hydrangeas need at least six full hours of sun so depending how much shade you have, you might be better off with a macrophylla.

ETA: It just occurred to me that the Invincibelle Ruby is also a possibility.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked chrysalids
  • romanszone8
    last month

I’m in 8b in hot and humid South Carolina. My panicles are in part sun- they don’t receive sun until 2 pm and are blasted with direct sun for about 4-5 hours and they do very well. My little limes turn a nice deep rose shade some seasons and some they don’t. Mine do not start blooming until mid-late July. If you’re looking for earlier blooms with fall good color I’d suggest little quick fire

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked romanszone8
  • romanszone8
    last month

Or as above mentioned, depending on your sun ratio maybe consider endless summer’s since they are rebloomers and they put out early flush in spring and bloom all the way til frost

• luis_pr
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

It is a personal color decision so try to see the shrubs when in the pink stage. Then rule out the ones you do not like and choose from the ones left based on other factors such as size, blooming time, etc. You could even mix them. Little QF tends to bloom early and the others start to bloom later so Little QF will start the pink summer display earlier than the other two. If you also add one/both of the others, you could extend the pinks after Little QF blooms turn brown but while the others are still pink. Below are two pictures of each, in this order: Bobo, Little Lime, Little QF. The shades of pink may subtly change throughout the growing season. The pictures were taken at different times; supplied by PW.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked luis_pr
  • BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    24 days ago

@luis_pr, I had not considered mixing them, but your post got them thinking about it. I am now thinking of planting a bobo, a firelight tidbit and a little qf in a 5 feet by 10 feet bed and surround them with some other supporting plants. I was worried that mixing might look chaotic...

I guess they are all whiteish flowered hydrangeas, so it should look ok. When I first started planning this bed, I wanted to combine a blue flowered macrophylla and a paniculata..

• BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    24 days ago

@chrysalids, I found your bobo hedge photo. Looks wonderful!

@romanszone8, can endless summer be planted in a pot? I would love to have one in the ground and another in a pot.

As I mentioned earlier, I would love to have a blue/purple macrophylla and a white/greenish flowred paniculata, but worry if they go together..

• romanszone8
    23 days ago

I have seen many people keep ES in containers! Just be mindful of your watering and mulch will be your friend ☺️

• romanszone8
    23 days ago

I am in 8b as well. My endless summers bloom much sooner than my panicle hydrangeas. I get my blue/pink fix and by the time my panicles start blooming I’m over the blue and pink and excited for the panicle show. It is nice that the ES rebloom so it’s not just an empty shrub - i think they complement one another well.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    23 days ago

" As I mentioned earlier, I would love to have a blue/purple macrophylla and a white/greenish flowred paniculata, but worry if they go together.. "

In our climate, BM, I'd say not so much :-)) The macs prefer at the very least afternoon shade while panicles do best here in full sun. If you wanted to combine a white with the blue or pink, then I'd stick to another mac. Maybe Blushing Bride. Or even Mme. Emile Moulierre. I grew one of those in a container for years!

Save the panicles for your sunniest spot if you want them to develop good late season color.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • romanszone8
    23 days ago

I guess I misunderstood your response above BM- I should clarify, my ES and panicles are not “together” in the same bed or even same section of the landscape. I do however have both in their own garden rooms and they serve their own purposes.

• chrysalids
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

BM, I am glad you were able to find the photo of my Bobo hedge.

I grow several macrophyllas in the ground in a shaded area of my garden and also in containers which I place in another shaded area. I grow several varieties of Endless Summer hydrangeas such as Bloomstruck and Blushing Bride in containers, but have selected several smaller varieties like Pop Star more recently.

Just know that you need acidic soil in the ground and in the potting mix (if in a container) for some macrophylla varieties to give you blue blooms so you would have to add an acidifier. So do some research before selecting the variety of mac.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked chrysalids
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    23 days ago

PNW soils are naturally acidic so blue flowers on macs are pretty easy to come by. And dosing with aluminum sulfate (AKA hydrangea bluing) will assure blue flowers in the ground or in a container.

• BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    21 days ago

wow! Those little QF look great!

Gardengal, I managed to give my two blue macs a dose of aluminum sulfate. I have a nikko blue that I planted 3 years ago. it was tiny then. Hoping this year the flowers will be blue.

• M. Vogel
    21 days ago

The quick fires are beautiful!!