Comments (41)

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Needs some to help brighten up as the paint helped but not enough

• lkloes
    last month

I think it looks great already. How about some large, colorful art over the sofas?

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you ! i think its bugging me because there is only 1 window, the sliders. it can feel tunnel like .

• eld6161
    last month

Beautiful view!

I would get a patterned rug with some color. Nothing too bold.

I'm not a fan of your throw pillows. I like pillows to relate to something. Not just pops of color.

If you have to keep the pillows, choose a rug with those colors.

I would definitely do some art.

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

I'd bring the furniture in to the center of the room and use the wall as the walkway to the patio doors. a Big mirro on the wall to bounch light around the room

I'd mount the TV to the right of the fireplace at eye level seated.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

Try turning on the lights.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

The layout doesn't work in this room is you have two sofas facing one another does it?

See layout below so that people in the room can view the TV.

• mmc429
    last month

Can you try Beverly’s layout and let us see it?

Gina Restivo thanked mmc429
  • Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    last month

I tried put the long sofa on the opposite side before. unfortunately, that didnt work as I have to keep sofa at least 2-3 feet from fireplace. This pushes the long sofa into dining space

• Nitap Drawoh
    last month

I’m not sure if “brighten up” means color or light. The only lighting I see is the pendent. Floor lamps & table lamps would add light & if chosen well could add color. If you use the balcony, the traffic pattern should allow easy access to the “sliding” glass door.

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    last month

I had it laid out similar to beverlys before. ill post that pic as i dont want wake up my boyfriend moving furniture lol. i felt having that layout felt crowded. this is old pic before paint, lighting , etc

• deegw
    last month
    last modified: last month

The prominent TV placement isn't helping. The eye is drawn right to it on the far side of the room, enhancing the tunnel effect. When it's off, the black hole stands out as the most prominent thing in the room. When it's on, again, it's the first thing the eye goes to.

As mentioned above, I'd figure out a way to get the tv on a side wall, at a sitting eye level.

• kazzh
    last month

I rather like the old placement with the sofas in the L shape. It might have felt crowded with the mirrors at floor level. The blue armchairs might be better as bedroom chairs and brought out if more seating is required.

• jackowskib
    29 days ago

How many people do you typically need seating for in the living room? Would you be able to work with one sofa and one comfortable chair? If so, a smaller complimentary rug (low pile) could really open up the space nicely. If you prefer to keep TV above fireplace, consider having it mounted on an extension arm that will allow it to be pulled forward and lowered for proper viewing.

• arcy_gw
    29 days ago

I agree there's just TOO MUCH stuff in the room. When you need extra seating draw up the dining chairs and call it good. One sofa is enough. Go with the smaller if it's just you and your boyfriend. Your side chair is a great size and design for your limited space. Having a TV that no chair faces is incongruent. Hang it on the wall so the love seat faces TV while the fireplace is visible at the same time. The coffee table--is blocking traffic. Get a couple of smaller side tables. Large enough to hold a lamp and a glass. The plants add life but lamps will give you light. Wall decor gives interest and doesn't take up walking/LIVING space.

• Maureen
    29 days ago

I much prefer your original seating layout and would place the tv on a console. You'll gain much more than you lose - see below but room in reverse.

Gina Restivo thanked Maureen
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    29 days ago

Do you use the fireplace or can you get rid of it? And it will always be dark in there until you turn on the lights. It’s a long narrow room with a slider at the end.

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

We actually use it, its a waterfront coastal unit which is very cold and windy in winter. Yes we turn on the lights, theres recessed lighting througout.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    29 days ago

Replace the sofa on the right side with a club chair and ottoman.

Recessed lighting is not optimal in a living/family room--add occasional tables with lamps. You could also use a floor lamp. Lamps with shades are much more cozy and inviting than ceiling downlights.

• deegw
    29 days ago

Another vote for another lamp or two. You don't want your room to be lit from overhead like a retail space. Overhead lighting casts odd shadows and isn't flattering. Did you ever look at yourself on the Target security screen at the self-checkout?

Lamps also add depth and shape to the middle of a room and make it look more finished.

Also, if you rearrange the room and the fireplace corner is still bossy, you can easily hide the black part of it with a white/cream decorative folding screen. No need to remove it :)

You have a great space and some nice things, it won't take much to make it look bright and cozy.

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you yes, I am in the process of ordering new facing for the fireplace that is much more modern and white. We just bought this place and are replacing the old 90's features with more sleek/ scandinavian style elements. Also .planning on adding lamps etc. but want to configure furniture layout first before adding the alernative light sources

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I am in the process of purchasing new fireplace facing that is more modern and all white. We purchased this unit and are replacing all of the 90's lighting/architectural elements with modern/scandi style ones. In adidtion, I am planning to purchase modern altenative lighting/lamps etc but wanted to fugure out furniture placement first

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Also thank you all for the input! Sometimes you look at something so long you don't really see it. Im going to try to lose the blue chair, and reconfigure the sofa placement . Also the comment about the relocation of the tv and heavy elements on the wall wherre sliding door is makes sense. it think what my goal is, is to make the long narrow tunnel like room feel not just brighter, but wider. I added another pic of living room as is below and will add a pic as I move things

• RedRyder
    29 days ago

The tv on the right side wall, with a simple wall mounted console underneath, will open up the room. Taking away one sofa and replacing it (and the blue chair) with new chairs also opens up the room and reduces the tunnel effect. Right now, the tv drags the eye to the back. Your new fireplace surround will help tremendously.

No need to buy expensive new stuff. Keep a look out for neighbors and locals who are selling good, used chairs. Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc. are good resources as are Wayfair and BBB. There really is an overwhelming amount of furniture in there.

After these changes (or during) start hunting for great lamps! At least 2 are needed to flank the couch. Maybe a floor one as well.

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Ok here is new pic of differ different sofa placement and no chair

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Here is new sofa placement, no chair, moved tv

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Ok one last one. here is new placement w tv back on fireplace , blue chair where small sofa was

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Before and after

• jackowskib
    29 days ago

I would slide center sofa over to almost touching wall sofa. Then an end table will fit there to fill in. This lets the right wall be the open walkway in/out of the space.

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I cant di that as there is a bedroom door at the wall where the 2 sofa corners are

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Another before after, diff different angle

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    29 days ago

86 the second sofa. Frankly, you don't have the room for it.

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Was thinking to rep small sofa w either 2 chairs or chair/ottoman

• Gina Restivo
    Original Author
    29 days ago

where red line is there is a bedroom door

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

Absolutely get rid of the small sofa in favor of a chair. Two chair might be too much.

The room looks so much more open, bright, light without the TV on the mantle. The TV lower down on the wall across from the long sofa is what will make this room feel wider. Keep looking at the pic you took with the TV off the fireplace. Such a different room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    29 days ago

OK slide the sofa down,... but there is still no room for the second sofa.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    29 days ago

I think the consensus is one sofa, one chair. You can pull in a couple of dining chairs to the living room when you have company.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    29 days ago

If you want to keep a fireplace, get a new, linear modern electric one and put it on the current sofa wall with the tv above it. The sofa will go on the opposite wall, and you may be able to keep the love seat or fit 2 chairs since traffic will now stay to the left.

• PRO
    lisedv
    29 days ago

Here's a visual of my suggestions which also shows some of other suggestions you received above...

- Narrow wall TV unit

- End tables and lamps

- Floor lamp

- Large canvas above sofa

- Side curtains

- Mantel decor