Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanem2

Boneless prime rib question

JoanM
last month

I just unwrapped a prime rib and realized that I bought boneless by mistake. I have made many prime ribs over years but never a boneless. I would have sliced it into steaks if I had known. I normally roast at 450f for 20 minutes and turn it down to 325 to finish. I have notes about how long various sizes take to cook so I can time my sides but I have a feeling this might cook quicker.

Can anyone give me a best guess about how much quicker a boneless 5.3lbs prime rib might take to cook as compared to a bone-in? Do the bones even matter for the cook time? Maybe it doesn’t even matter? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• floraluk2
    last month

I've

• aziline
    last month

Bone-In take longer to cook. The first and last time I did a b/i no one touched the bones. Boneless is also easier to slice and I don't see the difference.

My method is convection @ 300 for 13-15 mins a lb. Can hold for 15-60 mins. Then 8 mins @ 500 to brown.

JoanM thanked aziline
  • chloebud
    last month

This is my foolproof method whether boneless or bone-in. For boneless, I usually figure maybe 12-15 minutes per pound (vs about 17-20 for bone-in), but you need to rely on a thermometer. Obviously the cooking time will vary based on oven temp and doneness preference.

Remove roast from refrigerator about 2 hours (an hour or two more if it’s a very large roast) before roasting. Pat surface of roast very dry with paper towels-this promotes good caramelization (flavor and color) on the surfaces.

Preheat oven thoroughly (at least 1/2 hour) to 425 degrees.

Optional - If desired, stud roast with slivers of fresh garlic, using the sharp tip of a small knife to guide garlic pieces into meat.

Generously season roast with salt and fresh-ground pepper.

Place prepared roast into preheated oven for 20 minutes (30 minutes if roast is very large). Reduce heat to 350, and continue roasting until desired temperature has been reached. The total roasting time will be about 17 minutes per pound, for medium rare. Check with instant-read thermometer, inserted in the thickest part of meat, not touching bone. Thermometer should read 125 for very rare, 128-132 for medium rare, about 135 for medium, about 140 for well done (which is not recommended).

Remove roast from oven and ALLOW TO STAND for 20-30 minutes before carving.

One comment - I once roasted two prime ribs (exactly 5 lbs. each) together in the oven. One was done a full 45 minutes before the other. Not sure but I assumed it was likely due to the meat density.🤷‍♀️ Anyway, another reminder of the necessity of a thermometer.

JoanM thanked chloebud
  • JoanM
    Original Author
    last month

I have a thermapen, I just trying to figure out timing for the potatoes.

Thanks, seems like it might be done a little quicker. I will probe earlier.

• chloebud
    last month

Right, just probe earlier and allow for some temperature increase once out of the oven and resting. Gonna be so good!👍🏻

• chloebud
    last month

Joan, it’s hard to know for sure about the cooking time. Bone-in typically takes longer since meat close to the bone usually requires a bit more cooking time. Glad yours worked so well!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio