Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

Kroger e-commerce warehouses are closing

maddielee
last month

(Somehow this posted on another forum?)

Three big Kroger fulfillment centers that were outfitted with state of the art equipment to make home delivery an option in nonKroger territory are closing the end of May. Two in Texas, one here in Florida. Lots of national media coverage at the time of opening. The future of food shopping they said.

During the pandemic Kroger trucks were often seen in my neighborhood, we were happy with the service and used it often. The website was easy to use, the deliveries quick and mistake free (for us).

We haven’t used them in a long time, maybe a year. People still want to be able to pick their own food at the store. I always liked knowing it was an option, just in case.

https://apnews.com/article/kroger-closes-ecommerce-facilities-texas-florida-a43d6952efd40ba27afcf6c98adfb076

Comments (5)

• Kswl
    last month

I can’t say I am surprised. The huge Kroger in our town is poorly managed, the produce department in particular. During the pandemic employees were allowed to let their masks dangle from one ear in fake ”compliance” with the rules of commerce at the time. For many reasons I will not shop there.

maddielee thanked Kswl
  • gsciencechick
    29 days ago

Harris Teeter is a Kroger owned store and although I don’t do delivery, I’ve been using the curbside pickup since before the pandemic. I don’t think their produce is best either. But there seems to be fewer people using the curbside. I totally hate grocery shopping so this has been a wonderful thing for me not to waste my time at the supermarket.

maddielee thanked gsciencechick
  • maddielee
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I’ve only been in one actual Kroger store, on a visit to Ohio. I remember being shocked that the floor seemed so dirty. Something Publix people seldom see. Then a native Ohioan explained that it was because of people tracking snow in. Another something Publix people seldom see or deal with.

I liked the delivery system, I’m sorry to see it go.

• Tina Marie
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

@gsciencechick I totally agree! I also hate grocery shopping and love our curbside service (not Kroger). I started during the pandemic and I am not going back to in-store shopping! HA! I can honestly say the shoppers do a great job. It's rare that I have a problem. I use a small farmers market for most produce and beef from friends who raise beef cattle. Other meats/poultry I go as needed to purchase. One plus to having a shopper is that I no longer pick up random items, especially sweets. That helps alot in our healthy/clean eating. Just do not let me in a drugstore right now where all the Russell Stover easter candy is!

We actually have a newer Dollar General Pop-Shelf Market that is nice. I went in there last week and purchased some Easter treats/toys for 3 kids. They always have a great selection of holiday treats. I bought bananas there and then wandered through the "outside" aisle as they have it stocked for spring. They had some great pots, etc. Plus, it is closer to me than either of the two grocery stores in my little area. My produce/farmers market has opened back up for the year (they close January/February/most of March), so I hope to get down there this week. They also have a small but select section of meats. They have the BEST bacon! I don't mind shopping in the markets, but absolutely hate going to the grocery stores.

PS @maddielee there are Publix in the big cities near me, and we have snow here, granted not that often. (We had one big snow here this year.) Now I'm wondering about their floors, haha. I like Publix but they are not convenient to me.

maddielee thanked Tina Marie
  • OllieJane
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I wish we had Kroger here. I do use their delivery and love it. But, for going into a grocery store, we have Crest Foods, which is very good too. We do have a Homeland nearby-expensive, I do shop there for some things to try to keep them open, since they are so close and handy. Same people/cashiers have worked there for years and it's always good that we know each other.

maddielee thanked OllieJane