Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Paze?..........

lucillle
last month

My bank, Chase, just notified me that they will be enrolling me in Paze. I hadn't heard about it, but it sounds vaguely like Paypal in that you do not have to give merchants your credit card #. While unauthorized purchases are protected if someone fraudulently uses my credit card #, there is the aggravation factor so this Paze might be a good thing. IDK. What do you think?

Comments (17)

• bragu_DSM 5
    last month

that means they have your bank account number ... are you comfortable with that?

• lucillle
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

The enrollment is automatic although I can take steps to prevent enrollment if they have not enrolled me which is apparently imminent. If they have enrolled me apparently Paze will have my number on file for 7 years even if I disenroll. Somewhere in all the stuff on the Paze site it says I am still protected from unauthorized purchases.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

I took a quick gander on the Paze site and I'd say the description of it being an alternative to Paypal for online purchases seems accurate, as a generalization. Whatever similarities or differences there may be I can't say, I didn't hang around there long enough to see.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    last month

Apparently there is a whole group of major banks (not just Chase) that is enrolling every one of their customers with their credit or debit card into Paze.

• nicole___
    last month

So...if they have your bank account number it's like a Debit card? Money comes directly out of your bank account? Never heard of it....and....I have chase.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

After the reported troubles with Zelle, I'm wary of using new payment apps.

I stick with Paypal myself.

I have the option of Zelle with my bank account, but I have to opt in, not out.

• bpath
    last month

We use an account that we monitor more carefully, and that has a limited amount of money in it, for things like Paypal. If we did Paze, it would be that account.

• dedtired
    last month

Seems like Venmo has become the most popular. One of my banks has Zelle and there’s always Paypal. I dont use Chase, so i havent run across Paze. So many choices!

• DLM2000-GW
    last month

Hmm I still have Chase for one account and my CC (even though there isn't a branch any where near me in this state) and have not heard anything about Paze. Also, I use Zelle all the time for inter-family transactions and have not had any issues.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

Forgot to add Venmo to that comment...

This is about one aspect of a problem with these apps:

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2023/08/do-you-use-payment-apps-venmo-cashapp-or-zelle-read

And here's another informative article:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/money-transfer/zelle-vs-venmo/

So according to this, Paze is for credit cards, not a cash system that would take money directly from a bank account...?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/consumers/2024/02/29/what-is-paze-heres-how-to-use-the-new-digital-wallet/72787626007/

• arcy_gw
    last month

All these places still take my credit card--I see no reason to have yet another system. I would decline it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

To be fair, according to the article I shared, the idea is that you don't have to enter your credit card numbers/exp.date/security code on websites when making a purchase, which is supposed to add a layer of protection.

• Judy Good
    last month

I use paypal for most of my online purchases. They will back you up, It is a good way to pay to places you do not know well. I am very pleased with Paypal. I would assume this is similar,

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last month

I will never use a payment app again, after someone managed to use my Venmo account to clean out my checking account last year. I had not used the Venmo in a long time, and had only used it once since opening it - so it wasn't a case of me connecting with a scammer. Venmo and the other money transfer apps are not subject to the consumer protection regulations of a bank. My bank was able to retrieve the stolen money from Venmo, but Venmo offered me no assistance.

I do use Paypal and have never had a problem. I wonder if Paze will allow someone to pay you as Paypal does?

• Izzy Mn
    last month

I wouldn't want to use Paze or Zelle, Vemo or PayPal My bank offers Zelle but I don't want to use it. I really don't like using my checking/debit card for many things. I use one cc for auto billing and monthly bills and pay off every month. I feel cc offer more protection on unauthorized charges and I can turn them off easily if needed. I use a different cc for gas, groceries, shopping and online shopping and pay off every month. Then I don't have to worry about someone getting my checking account compromised. I may get a third cc for any larger items that I have to wait to access money to pay in full. Like new a/c or furnace, something major... but maybe not.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    last month

I have not joined the digital wallet crowd yet. I don’t have any issue managing my credit card or my passwords for the sites where I shop. Their pitch seems to be that you just use your email address to shop and they will be storing your card numbers and passwords for you as their service. They manage your digital wallet to make it easier for you to shop. They then keep that data for 7 years. Paze is a new company so I would NOT be among the first to use it. I would opt out before I was forced into it.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I do use Paypal sometimes, but I don't see any advantage in joining Paze. I got a note from Chase this morning, they received my request not to opt in and said they would not opt me in.

I suspect that cloaking credit card numbers this way will ultimately help the consortium of large banks using Paze to help manage credit card fraud and I'm all for that, but I don't want to be an involuntary guinea pig for a program that doesn't seem like it is going to be of service for me.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio