Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Keep this prep sink or get rid of it?

rockybird
29 days ago
last modified: 29 days ago

I have kind of an oddly arranged kitchen. I have new cabinet fronts coming in and a new 9’ long island. You can’t tell from the photos, but the darkly stained wood does not look the best up close.

I want to replace the island sink or maybe get rid of it. The current sink is 14” wide. I think if I replace it, I should go a little bigger? What are some good brands other than Julien (I love my Julien kitchen sink, but too expensive to put one in the island).

Part of me wonders if I even need the island sink. I dont use it except to fill the dog water bowls, but I also don’t cook My friend who cooks says she used it a lot when she was here. The co. putting in the cabinets likes how it balances the cooktop. I admit that I do too. I could look at moving the cooktop to the center if I remove the sink.

I really hate ss because of the hard water here, but I don’t think I have a choice. I have mint color sinks for the pantry area and the bar. I considered for the island, but they don’t make the smaller sizes anymore. Maybe I am overthinking all this!

Thank you!

Comments (16)

• Rho Dodendron
    29 days ago

If you don't use the sink and you want to balance the cooktop--put in a sunken slow cooker.

rockybird thanked Rho Dodendron
  • akrogirl32
    29 days ago

No help, but I love your mint sink!

rockybird thanked akrogirl32
  • Lyn Nielson
    29 days ago

if you only use it to fill the dog bowl and you are overhauling the island, why not create a dog bowl fill tap at the base of the island? I'd get rid of it.

rockybird thanked Lyn Nielson
  • chispa
    28 days ago

Rocky, your results always look great, so I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose. I like my Julien kitchen sinks too, but I'm also happy with the much cheaper Kraus SS undermount sink I put in my outdoor kitchen.

I also have an 18" x 18" prep sink I hardly ever use, but it is good as an extra sink and great as an ice bucket for parties!

rockybird thanked chispa
  • Hellogardener
    28 days ago

Beautiful home!

• wsea
    28 days ago

Just curious, who made tye mint green sinks? they are so pretty

rockybird thanked wsea
  • PRO
    Ouroboros Design
    28 days ago

Someone who cooks wouldn’t be able to very well in that kitchen without a water source on the island.

rockybird thanked Ouroboros Design
  • anj_p
    28 days ago

I would keep it but I cook.

Balance doesn't really have much to do with it IMO as you have a low profile cooktop that's only visible when you're on top of it. Can't tell what the dimensions are but you could still move the cooktop over a bit if you have 2 feet between. It looks like a fine size for a prep sink.

rockybird thanked anj_p
  • Emily R.
    28 days ago

I like the sink size and would definitely keep it (but I cook); I would go with a smaller/lower profile faucet.

rockybird thanked Emily R.
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Thank you all! The mint sinks are by elkay. I have an adorable cute one in the bar as well.

The dog water is a great idea, but they really are fed and watered on the other side of the house. This is the closest sink to that area.

@jan moyer Thanks! I really appreciate your comment. I had a vent fan built into the ceiling above, but removed it when I get rid of the dropped ceiling over the cooktop. I never used it. I might use the cooktop for boiling water a couple times a year, but even that I don't do much now that I can make noodles in the microwave. I know this kitchen is not set up for a cook. I don't think there is much I can do at this point to change it. Is there anything else you would do? I think the island has to stay where it is. You can see views of the city and it frames the kitchen. The floorplan is open and it's a historic home.

@anj_p I'll look into moving the cooktop over a little when I get home tonight. I'll keep the sink small close to the same size. :)

heres more ohotos if it helps

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago

It's a hand wring for the next person. You don't cook, correct? You are a "near urban dweller" living in restaurants, or dining at home on noodles? What are you worrying about? Let it be the worry of the next soul who'll rearrange the entire kitchen if they cook with regularity. Get another "cute" mint creme bar size for the island if you're going to have it. Otherwise? Pass

rockybird thanked JAN MOYER
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

@jan moyer You are so awesome. Thank you for your comment. :) I am exactly that person. Do you think three mint sinks is too many? Bar, island, and pantry area? I may have trouble finding a mint one in the small size. Kohler makes a green sink but I was thinking two mint sinks and green sink would be strange?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago

I tired to find the sink for a second, but honestly? I'd just repeat your bar sink at the island. It's for you and nobody else BUT you.

Elkay still has the "mint creme" color, and you already have a lot of that tone, elsewhere, so this indicates to me, that you LIKE it: ) Or I am insane?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Yes, I like the mint color. :) It looks like they are not making the mint color in the small size anymore so I don't think I can use it on the island. I wish I had bought two now. I ordered a white blanco sink, but the white is too white for my matte porcelain counter that is going in. Luckily, I can return it. I guess I am left with ss, green kohler or there is an ice grey in the small sink that might look nice. I would put some colorful stuff on the island.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Just to update that I met with the cabinet co. and I am doing the prep sink in the same material that the porcelain counter is made of. I am going to do this for the laundry sink as well (I hope).