Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

I have some questions about horses

hhireno
last month

I could probably google this but I’d prefer to ask my imaginary friends here. I know quite a frw of you are horse people. I drive by a horse farm at least once a day. I so enjoy seeing the horses, and saying hello to them. Sadly, they moved the foal to the paddock I don’t pass very often so I don’t get to see him as much.

Do horses have bffs, like I’ve read cows do? Do they dislike other horses? How do they show that?

How much do they sleep? Do they sleep when it is dark or do they graze or move around in the dark? Do they have good eyesight for nighttime wandering?

Do they need to be washed, or just brushed? How frequently?

Once on a tour of the San Diego Zoo, they told us the cartoon joke about elephants being afraid of mice isn’t accurate. They are annoyed by the quick movement of the mice and will step on them to stop it. 😬 Are horses bothered by mice or other animals?

How long do they live on average? Excuse my indiscretion, but how are they disposed of after death?

I missed a chance to see the Clydesdales recently, what a disappointment. I did see them up close and personal a few years ago.

Anything else I should know about horses? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Comments (49)

• Jilly
    last month
    last modified: last month

“Do horses have bffs, like I’ve read cows do? Do they dislike other horses? How do they show that?”

Absolutely. And sometimes it’s another animal — we had horses who had goat friends, donkey friends, dogs, etc who didn’t like to be apart. It’s very sweet. They are very social herd animals and don’t like to be alone.

Yes, some horses can very much dislike other horses, to the point of wanting to injure or kill. They show it in various ways — stomping, kicking, biting. Especially studs, who see each other as competition. And some horses (especially geldings) are docile and get along with everyone.

”How much do they sleep? Do they sleep when it is dark or do they graze or move around in the dark? Do they have good eyesight for nighttime wandering?”

Sleep times vary, depending on lifestyle. They sleep and nap at any hour, as well as graze. I don’t think they have any sort of special night vision.

Do they need to be washed, or just brushed? How frequently?”

This depends on various factors. Our show horses were extensively groomed daily. Working horses would be bathed or brushed well after riding. Pasture horses were brushed daily, mainly to keep their manes and tails tangle/bur free.

“Are horses bothered by mice or other animals?”

Some are, some aren’t. Each horse has its own unique disposition … some are spooked by lots of things, some are super laid-back and calm, some are in-between those. A lot of horses are spooked by trailers, crossing water, loud noises, etc.

“How long do they live on average? Excuse my indiscretion, but how are they disposed of after death?”

That widely varies, but on average ours usually lived into their 20s if no major health problems or injuries. We sometimes buried ours way off in unused pasture areas, but usually their bodies were hauled off to be disposed of. It is very, very, very hard watching a horse be put down.

Misc facts:

Horses usually have a favorite person, just like a cat or dog. They can be very loving, greeting you happily when they see you.

They cannot throw up — they get what is called ”colic” and it can be deadly if not quickly treated. Another deadly thing for them is if they ”founder”. It’s a hoof disease with no cure.

Horses can be very playful and it’s so fun and endearing. They might play with giant balls or other toys. I had a horse who would race me down the fence line. We’d stand still, I’d yell ”Go!”, and off we went. He was something. :D He also bucked me off every time I tried to ride him.

We showed (halter, cutting, reining, etc), had working ranch horses, boarded horses, gave lessons. We mostly had Quarter Horses, Paints, Palominos, Appaloosas, and Percheron draft horses. My brother competed in rodeos and still judges them. My uncle is a very well known trainer who has been on TV. My late DH and I moved to Europe when western riding started to become popular there. We trained and showed horses and gave lessons. We had a kind of celebrity status as we were ”real cowboys” from Texas. :D It was a lot of fun, a great experience.

Best advice I can give to someone who has never been around horses: don’t assume one will be friendly and calm. They can be dangerous and unpredictable. Always approach one with someone who knows them. Don’t ever walk up behind one — they don’t have good side vision and could kick out if startled. It hurts tremendously to get kicked! Some would never do that, but some will.

They’re majestic, beautiful, fun, expensive. They’ll steal your heart forever. 💗

hhireno thanked Jilly
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

FWIW, I was taught to always put your hand out quite flat, fingers together, when offering a horse a treat. They can't see under their mouth very well and may take a finger by accident..

Once I forgot to also keep my arm outstretched when giving a strange horse a treat, and it tried to bite my chest.

Percherons are one of my faves - they're so pretty 🙂

hhireno thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Jilly
    last month

Carol, that’s good advice!

Our Percherons were gentle giants. My fav boy, Bud, would let me ride him bareback, with just a halter on. We showed them pulling wagons and carriages.

I did have one ornery one who broke a few of my toes … he was rearing up when I was leading him out of the barn, and came down on my foot.

hhireno thanked Jilly
  • Bunny
    last month

Jilly, what a blessing your life with horses ❤️

hhireno thanked Bunny
  • woodrose
    last month

Horses generally get along with other horses, but I don't think they have BFFs. Some thoroughbreds, which is what I'm familiar with, will have a goat as a friend. Horses will sometimes fight with other horses by biting and kicking. Horses can sleep either standing up or lying down. If a group of horses in a field lie down to sleep at night, one "guard" will remain standing to watch over them and alert them of any danger. Horses can't remain lying down for very long, and must get up and move around. I can't remember what it does to them if they lie down for a long time, but I know it can have dire consequences. Horses can wander around in the dark and even run, so they must be able to see pretty well in the dark. Horses in general don't need to be washed or even brushed every day. Riding horses probably need brushing after they're ridden, and an occasional bath. I don't think horses are bothered by mice, or even rats. They are startled by sudden movement, especially if it's toward their heads. They are annoyed by dogs barking at them, I suppose. They can live to be about thirty years old, but most of them don't. I'm not sure what happens to most horses after their death now.

hhireno thanked woodrose
  • Jilly
    last month

Bunny, I sure miss it, but am so thankful for those times. :)

Who knows, maybe I’ll have another horse(s) someday. I rarely ride now, as I suffered a leg injury (riding a trick horse with a weird saddle) that flares up when I do.

I’m not very experienced with English riding and would love to learn it. I did spend a summer getting to exercise Thoroughbreds, which was amazing. I love going fast. My late DH and I would race our horses across the pastures often. :)

ETA: I kept my old fav Resistol show hat, and see that moths got to it.

I just set it there for a quick picture; never put a hat down like that. It can ruin the shape. Always keep it upside down or on a hat rack.

hhireno thanked Jilly
  • blfenton
    last month

I just watched one of those short reel videos (I always watch the animal ones) and this one was about a horse who had been away for a month or so for some training. He was put back into the field and went running along the walking path because he could see the other horses. When the other horses (4 of them) spotted him they came running to him and all greeted one another. I'm not really horse person but yes, they have friends and they can be missed. I thought it was the coolest thing.

Jilly it seems that you are a horse person and it sounds like the horses were lucky to have you in their lives.

hhireno thanked blfenton
  • Jilly
    last month

Thank you, bl. :)

hhireno thanked Jilly
  • hhireno
    Original Author
    last month

I knew this was the place to ask my questions! I want to be a horse’s favorite person, but just waving them from the car as I drive by is going to make that hard.

This talk of horses reminds me of one of my favorite politcal bumper stickers. It was for John Kerry and it had ”Why Not the Long Face”. Still makes me laugh when I think of if.

• Bunny
    last month

I love horses. Was a horse-crazy little kid. Finally nagged my city-raised parents enough that they bought me one, just a plain old riding horse. By the end of middle school my interests lay beyond mucking out stalls and we sold the horse. We lived in town and had to rent a small pasture for him so it wasn't like he could just live at home and be our pet.

Nevertheless, I still love horses, in my opinion the most beautiful animal in the Kingdom. I love their long, soulful faces and smell. I am happy just being in their presence. @hhireno I think I know just how you feel. My riding days are over, but I'd love to just hang out with some horses nearby, give them a brushing and and carrot.

hhireno thanked Bunny
  • hhireno
    Original Author
    last month

Every story I tell here is probably a repeat, but here goes.

Years ago, I read an article about a horse ranch for women who were recovering from abuse and other traumas, and they could work with the horses. It explained that horses were gentle, intuitive, and had an ability to almost read minds.

Right after reading that, the Budweiser Clydesdales were in my town and visitors were welcome to visit them in their temporary barn situation. While I was visiting, I picked a horse to study (he had almost the same name as my nephew 😆). While I stood and admired him, I decided to test his mind reading ability. I thought ”Sammie, show me your teeth, can I see your teeth?” After a minute, he stuck his head further out of his enclosure and nibbled on a plant that was there, and I COULD SEE HIS TEETH. I probably gasped and looked a little stunned. We had a moment. I’m still chasing that high. 😆

• czarinalex
    last month

I always loved horses as a young girl. Read all the horse books. My family went to a Catskill resort in the 70's that had horses. My mom yelled at me the whole week because I wouldn't leave the horses alone! Joined the riding club in high school(just trail riding). Growing up in NYC, there wasn't a lot of horse opportunities.

Coincidently, I just finished reading 'Girls and their Horses' by Eliza Jane Brazier. A good horse story and murder mystery as well.

hhireno thanked czarinalex
  • Ally De
    last month

Horses are amazing. Just amazing. The intelligence, the power, the gentleness (when they want to be gentle anyway!) - I love watching them watching people and see them assess the situation.

I've seen horses show a level of curiosity and intelligence about the world around them that is lacking in some humans I've met. And I realize that sounds snarky and that's honestly not my intention - it's just that they're truly that smart. Humanity owes them better treatment than many of them get.

hhireno thanked Ally De
  • Re Tired
    last month

I know very little about horses but pass by a few daily and always look for them. Recently I read 2 books about horses (fiction) that I enjoyed very much:: Horse by Garaldie Brooks and The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes. I especially enjoyed the quotes in the latter by Xenophon, On Horsemanship. Zenophon wrote in 300 BC. YMMV

hhireno thanked Re Tired
  • pricklypearcactus
    last month

I love reading information from those of you who know about horses! In my youth I loved reading about horses and drawing them. I would often beg my mother to let us walk a few streets over to say hello to some horses that were in a nearby fenced field (in the suburbs) in the summer. Like carol I was always taught to keep my hand flat and fingers together when handing a horse a treat. In hindsight I hope it was ok that we would occasionally give them carrots. But I loved just going over and watching them and petting them if the horses came over to visit with us.

I've seen a few herds of horses in the wilds of Southern Utah as well and it's amazing to watch them. Such incredibly beautiful animals.

I do know someone who is a dressage rider and has her own horse that she brought from South America (I think) just for the sport. After buying some property where she could keep him at her home, she brought home a second horse to make sure they had company. And one of the barn cats from her old barn decided to come home with her as well to keep the horses company and keep down the rodents.

hhireno thanked pricklypearcactus
  • A Mat
    last month

Have you thought about stopping at the ranch or calling them, express your interest?

hhireno thanked A Mat
  • Feathers11
    last month

I know people who have horses, and one, in particular, has shared with me the maintenance. One of his is a male horse, so if you know, you know. He also considered a career as a farrier. Horses don't seem to me to be brush-and-go creatures.

I think horses are beautiful animals, but I've always been afraid of them. I have a fear of being suspended (not of heights, but of suspension, as in ferris wheels). Jilly, the image of you and your DH racing across the pasture makes me queasy. I fell off a horse once as a child, and although I got right back on, as was insisted, it never felt comfortable or natural to ride one. I enjoy them from afar.

My sister road a horse, side saddle in her wedding dress, during her wedding procession. It was lovely.

hhireno thanked Feathers11
  • Olychick
    last month

I've become a horsie girl in my dotage..not an option earlier in my life. But I have a dear friend who has a horse farm with Norwegian Fjord horses, Dutch Warm Bloods (I think that's what they are) and others that I don't recall or know the breeds. She has a mini donkey and mini horse. I LOVE hanging .out there and she sends me great youtube videos about horses. I especially love following some people online...and have learned so much about horses, but certainly defer here to the real horsie girls! I've also become enamored with donkeys...omg. I don't mind growing older, have few regrets but wish I were at a different stage of life so I could have horses and donkeys- or even ride hers.

I love to find videos of horses and cats...so I suggest youtube for learning a lot about horses. And enjoying them vicariously.

I also follow some horse rescues...Colby's Crew Rescue https://www.facebook.com/ohkaytacos/ has taken a fair amt of my discretionary $$ and attention. Also Skydog Rescue in Oregon. https://www.skydogranch.org/ And Steve Young Horsemanship has lots of info about horse behavior on his videos.

hhireno thanked Olychick
  • Jilly
    last month

This is one of my favorite threads; I just love hearing the enthusiasm about horses. :)

hhireno thanked Jilly
  • Bookwoman
    last month

I spent a lot of time riding as a child and teen, despite the fact that I lived in NYC. There was a stable just a few blocks from where I lived (sadly, now gone), and my friends and I rode on the bridle path in Central Park. Those are some of my fondest childhood memories.

hhireno thanked Bookwoman
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

We rode horses - took riding lessons (English) and even went to sleep away horse camp. I was a terrible rider, and failed miserably at posting. Western was much easier for me, but I still managed to get thrown more than a few times. The first was when the horse was spooked by a dead dog in the brush next to the trail.

I think horses with past traumas - just like any other animals - can be more unpredictable in their behavior. Hack (rental) horses can be temperamental too.

There was a stable here in town that took in rescue horses and worked with disabled veterans therapeutically, but it looks like it's no more. Their most recent review on Google is from a year ago, and their website is gone 🙁

We took our granddaughter there years ago when they had an open house, she loved it...

They had these mesh masks on some of the horses to keep flies off their faces - new to me and I thought they were a very clever invention.

That's my nephew on the horse - he's in college now 🙂

• Bothell
    last month

Horse person here. Carol the mask is called a fly mask and helps keep insects out of their eyes. They can see out of it no problem. Some horses do have other horses that they like and some that they don't. Most like human attention and love treats. Mine loves bananas melon strawberries and apples. They can be very intelligent but also do some very stupid things.

hhireno thanked Bothell
  • Mrs. S
    last month

Oh, longtime horse person here. Rode ponies, gymkhana, vaulted, almost all of that bareback until parents bought me a saddle a few years in, and started riding at a top-level national barn. Showed hunt seat all over the country, and later fell in love with dressage and had the best horse of my life (Dutch Warmblood) along with my very elderly favorite ponies, until they reached the end of their natural life.

I second everything Jilly said. I will add that horses in general are very social, but often have a kind of pecking order, and it is sometimes appropriate to keep an eye out for a horse that is getting picked on, but usually with enough space they can work it out.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that horses generally sleep standing up, though they will lay down and rest for 30 minutes or more sometimes. They love to roll around in sand to scratch their backs.

Jilly is right about unpredictable. Most horses are gentle and friendly, but every once in a while, there's one that lays back its ears and will go after someone walking by.

When you ride horses, you really realize what individuals they are. The way they move, listen to the riders' cues, and their various abilities and many quirks, are what makes a human-horse relationship even more special when it goes well, and when the horse enjoys YOU as a rider. It is incredibly satisfying.

I recommend stopping at the farm and asking if you can bring the horse a carrot or apple sometime, and if the owner would mind that or think it's a good idea. After a day or two of that, probably the horse will see you coming and look for you!

One of my favorite memories is that the stable where I boarded my good boy had a 5 acre pasture, woodsy environment, and when I would pull in and couldn't see him, I'd call for him and he would come running and whinnying every time (to the point where I'd be worried he would crash into the fence, but luckily that never happened). Loved that guy to pieces.

hhireno thanked Mrs. S
  • Jilly
    last month

Mrs S, love your whole post, but especially this:

”When you ride horses, you really realize what individuals they are. The way they move, listen to the riders' cues, and their various abilities and many quirks, are what makes a human-horse relationship even more special when it goes well, and when the horse enjoys YOU as a rider. It is incredibly satisfying.”

So true! You really captured the essence of the wonderful horse-human relationship. :)

hhireno thanked Jilly
  • barncatz
    last month

Oly, I'm a Patron of Skydog Sanctuary! If anyone wants to see gorgeous horse videos, the ones their owner posts from their acres in Malibu and Oregon are incredible, as are the explanations/horse insights she posts in connection with them.

33 years ago, my 6 year old daughter asked for riding lessons. From that day forward, horses became my center. As I posted, I lost my 33 1/2 year old mare in November. She'd been in our lives, starting as our daughters English show horse (jumping and dressage) for 27 years. We lost our gelding (mid-20s we guess) shortly after. He had been with us since 2007. When I started, horses were living to late teens. Now it's late 20s, even early 30s due to better care, most likely.

If you follow a sanctuary, such as Skydog, where the horses are allowed choices, you will see they have friends they choose to stay with, within their larger herds. Skydog also has reunited families of wild horses rounded up and separated and, once reunited, they stay together as they roam the sanctuary. Horses in their natural state are herd animals and prefer to have other horses near them.

Domesticated horses (geldings and mares) have so many of their activities controlled by humans, including what other horses they are placed with, where they live and how they are treated, and whether their own human is attuned to them, or is even a good rider, all of which impacts the horse's behavior. They often bear the blame for behavior that I think is caused by the humans in their lives. They have incredible emotional intelligence and will reflect their handler's anxiety, confidence or other emotional state. (One day last fall, I was in our barn with Molly, who was in her stall, where I was treating an eye issue. Our gelding was standing in the large open area outside her stall which was their run-in area. I called DH and started crying because I knew Molly was fading. My gelding walked over to me and tucked his big head into my chest. ) Horses, unlike humans, cats and dogs, are prey animals, so their first instinct is flight. Once again, human reaction can amplify their instinct to flee, causing spooking or bolting, or can calm them.

Horses communicate with each other, often through the smallest body language, showing dislike or just a warning to move, through a pinned ear, a thrown head, a shoulder swerve which other horses react to quickly and all is forgotten seconds later. Their preferred emotional state is placid, for lack of a better word. They can sleep standing up, because their legs lock, but need REM sleep which they only get when they are lying flat out, which is a small portion of the 3 to 5 night sleep hours they get, often right before dawn. They will catch standing cat naps throughout the day. As mentioned, their weight causes damage to their internal organs if they are 'down' for a longer time.

I lost my first and heart horse in 2007, when he was euthanized at our University's vet center, where they had a composting alternative which I chose. (He could have been cremated there.) Both our mare and our gelding were euthanized peacefully in their pastures. One was removed the next day by a company our vet recommended that also took the body to a compost facility. One was buried in a corner of our pasture, by a neighbor with excavating equipment that allowed that.

My gelding accomodated to being alone, although our plan was to foster a horse companion for him. We lost him before that was put in place.

Again, I can't recommend Skydog Sanctuary's sites (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube) enough if you want to see or learn more about horses.

hhireno thanked barncatz
  • Mrs. S
    last month

(off to look up Skydog Sanctuary, Thanks for the tip)

hhireno thanked Mrs. S
  • Oakley
    last month

One of the few times I was livid at my parents is when they decided to take a two week vacation without me and my brother. But they took us to a horse ranch for the two weeks and the kids were assigned their own horse. Great memories.

DH's girlfriend before he met me was killed by one of her horses which kicked her, so now they scare me because she raised them.

There's pasture and wheat fields all around our house and right now the cattle are grazing, along with 4 horses who love to stand together at the fence watching me.

Cattle DO like people. I can go to the fence and a whole herd will come. lol

Yesterday, there was a buffalo out there! They're very temperamental so no one gets close when he/she's at the fence.

I've shown this picture of DGD before, taken a couple of years ago. She goes to horse camp twice every summer and spring break.

Right before this spring break she broke her shoulder blade and can't ride, play softball, or cheer. :(

hhireno thanked Oakley
  • Olychick
    last month

I just love watching the connection between horses and their kids...this is one of my faves

and of course, horses and their cats...or is it cats and their horses?

hhireno thanked Olychick
  • hhireno
    Original Author
    last month

You people DELIVER! What a pleasure to read these posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, your stories, and your photos.

• Ally De
    last month

Barncatz, that was beautiful.

I have no facts to back this up. However it is my belief that people who open their eyes and hearts to animals like this are better humans. To love another species so much that you can feel their emotions and read their minds gives one a deeper connection to the world around you.

hhireno thanked Ally De
  • barncatz
    last month

Thanks, Ally, how nice of you.

We often see eagles along our river drive, sometimes above the adjacent bluff, and rarely, rarely above our acreage. The afternoon Molly died, I was standing above her already tarped body, Cisco grazing nearby, absolutely bereft. (DH had a Court appearance in an adjacent state as bad luck would have it.) Then I looked up, and far above our pastures, I saw an eagle fly down the entire treeline.

By the way, should you doubt that animals experience emotions, you have not watched a horse grieving a lost pasturemate.

DH was with me, thank God, on Cisco's day. The two of us stood holding hands afterwards, absolutely wordless. Then, we both looked up as not one, but two, eagles, appeared and soared down the treeline, disappearing into the sky above the neighbor's cropland. "That's Molly", my husband said. "Come to bring Cisco home."

hhireno thanked barncatz
  • Jilly
    last month

That gave me chills, barncatz. ❣️

hhireno thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

However it is my belief that people who open their eyes and hearts to animals like this are better humans

When someone doesn't like pets or animals, of any kind, I see it as a "red flag."

hhireno thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

I was horse happy as a kid and took some lessons when my parents could afford it, and also took lessons in college, but never spent as much time at it as I thought I would. I thought about going back to it in retirement, but back and hip issues said nuh uh. But we have taken horseback/muleback rides in the national parks which I highly recommend.

So many of the questions raised reminded me of videos I've seen...of which I watch too many...with horses: rescues, horses with children, shoeing, jumping, getting thrown, and even a Brit palace horse biting a tourist. But I'll post just a couple of my faves:

hhireno thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Ally De
    last month

Barncatz, you could write a book. I have tears in my eyes.

Some people may think this sounds corny but I mean it when I say thank you for loving them like that. Too many animals suffer unfathomable abuse by humans so it restores my soul reading/seeing about the other end of that spectrum. 💜

hhireno thanked Ally De
  • Oakley
    last month

Barncatz, this topic reminded me of watching Saturday morning reruns of Roy Rogers and Trigger.

This is dedicated to you, Molly, & Cisco.

hhireno thanked Oakley
  • Kitchenwitch111
    last month

When i was a teen I had friends with horses. We'd go trail riding and I was usually given someone's old pony to ride. I wasn't a good rider so that was a good thing!

I love driving on a country road and seeing horses in a field on a summer day. So pretty!

hhireno thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last month

I took English riding lessons as an adult for a few years. Loved every moment. It was a thrill. My horse was pretty reliable but could be somewhat grumpy at times, especially if his "girlfriend" was not in sight. She roomed next to him in the barn. One of the best times in my life and will always be in love horses.

hhireno thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • deegw
    last month

I volunteered at a big horse rescue operation a few years ago. Before that, I had ridden a few times but did not consider myself to be a rider or horse person but did enjoy being around them.

After spending more time around them, I realized that my biggest misconception was that I assumed horses were people pleasers, like dogs. The ones I was around were more often like cats. When a 10-pound cat gets annoyed and scoots away, it's not a big deal. When a 1,000-pound horse gets annoyed and scoots away, watch out.

hhireno thanked deegw
  • woodrose
    last month

@springroz We had a beautiful white horse named Velvet who simply refused to allow males to ride her. A female could ride her all day with no problem, but not males. She didn't buck them off, she was sneakier than that. When they least expected it, she would drop her right front shoulder, and they would end up in the grass. Maybe your boy is like that and won't let certain people ride him, or, maybe he just loves you. Your guy is gorgeous! I've had a soft spot in my heart for buckskins ever since I watched Roy Rogers movies as a child.

hhireno thanked woodrose
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last month

I rode horses from 5 to 59 when I had to give up riding due to medical issues. I rode English and Western, dressage, jumping, trail, cutting horses (cow work). I worked on a ranch as a trail guide, rode on an equestrian team, and was part of the local emergency animal rescue group where we helped get horses out of the path of the California wild fires.

I think back over my life and the impact that horses had on my life and can't imagine what my life would have been without that connection.

When life was hard, they were there to support me. When I was a kid I trusted them to take care of me. When I was a teen and young adult I gained confidence knowing I could control a 1000 lb animal. But when I was a fully formed adult human being (No more teenage brain), I learned what a great honor it was to gain a horses trust.

They are fear and flight animals, they will run if they are afraid, they are afraid of everything that is not part of their experience. It is what keeps them alive.

When you gain their trust they will do anything you ask, even those things that frighten them, because they trust that you will not let anything happen to them. But you have to be patient and consistent and confident in order to earn their trust. It doesn't happen over night, it can take months and continues to build over years. Horses read our emotions, they know if you are distracted or anxious or afraid or angry and they react to those ques, so to be their lead mare you have to let go of all the other things in the world except what is happening between you and your horse.

I have often thought that the people who worked for me needed to thank my horses. It was my horses who taught me to be calm and rational and keep my wits about me because that is what they needed from me. My horses taught me that when they didn't do what I asked it was my fault. They would do anything I asked, but they could only do what I asked if I clearly communicated what I wanted to them in a manner that they could understand. They taught me to be patient and give them time to get used to new experiences. Let them sniff and snort and chew on new ideas and wait until they were ready before I pushed them forward. I learned not to keep asking them to do something when they were already doing what I asked. (Don't keep digging in your heels after the have started running). I learned that bonding often means just hanging together, not doing anything and not saying a word.

I love my dogs and cats and family and friends, but they all let me get away with being a snot. My horses demanded that I be the person they needed me to be or be at risk of losing their trust.

The bond I had with my horses was magical.

hhireno thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

Buckskin coloring is another fave of mine - along with blue roan - and I see that Percherons can have blue roan coloring 🙂

• gardener123
    last month

Thanks for this thread, hhireno. I have many of the same questions. DDs inlaws have horses, so my exposure has gone beyond my previous intermittent riding through the years.

Question: at what age do children start riding? Appreciate your collective wisdom!

hhireno thanked gardener123
  • Jennifer Hogan
    29 days ago

My best friend had 4 kids when her husband left. She would buy horses at auction, fatten them up and train them as riding horses and sell them for a profit. She would set her kids up on the horses on the hot walker before they could walk. By the time they were 5 they were riding on their own.

Her granddaughter was in a lead line gymkhana when she was 4. I was leading the fat little mini she was riding. As we were trotting the saddle slipped and slid down where she was perpendicular to the horse's back. I grabbed the stirrup and jerked the saddle back on top of the horse. When we got through the posts at the end of the run she looked at me and said "I have a glue butt."

Kids can learn young and are pretty resilient. The other side of the coin is that horses are big. Some are very maternal and take care of the kids on their backs, some are not.

I knew one family that bought a 3 year old Jr. American 5 gate champion for their 6 year old. The horse was full of spit and vinegar and the kid needed a dead broke 20 year old horse to ride. It was a disaster. The kid was terrified of the horse and the horse was terrified of the crying child.

• Olychick
    29 days ago

I tried to post this twice; I guess one video per post, tho I see Annie has two?

Horses and their cats or is it cats and their horses?

hhireno thanked Olychick
  • Jennifer Hogan
    29 days ago

I love this video - the job of a cutting horse is to separate one cow from the herd - usually sending it into another pen so the handlers can do what they need to do.

The job of the rider is to stay on and let the horse do his thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReoBXA-Jm4

• gardener123
    29 days ago

Jennifer, the music lol

hhireno thanked gardener123
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    29 days ago

Horses and cats reminded me of one of my favorite ads ever:

hhireno thanked Annie Deighnaugh