Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_847820056

The ideal layout for my house.

HU-847820056
last month

I have a dilemma, my husband and I just moved into a new house, and I'm unsure where to position the dining room and living room. The room next to the kitchen has a fireplace, and I'm uncertain whether to place the dining room there, as I've read that it's ideal to have the dining area near the kitchen. If you could help me, here are some photos of the space.

Comments (16)

• jck910
    last month

add a picture of the kitchen and a floor plan

• auntthelma
    last month

Stand at the fireplace and take a picture of the kitchen.

• Kendrah
    last month
    last modified: last month

Draw a little layout and upload a picture of it. Too hard to piece together all of the angles.

• lharpie
    last month

You are correct, dining should go next to kitchen, and fireplace area is smaller sized for a table. all one floring would be much nicer but i assume they didn’t want to pay for tile removal.

• HU-847820056
    Original Author
    last month

I also don't understand why there are two types of flooring. The issue is that we're renting, so changing the flooring ourselves isn't an option.

My dilemma with placing the dining room where the fireplace is located is because it's smaller and because most fireplaces are in the living room. I have the feeling is more cozy.

Additionally, here is a picture from the fireplace to the kitchen.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You need to draw and measure the space, add every foot , inch all windows, openings, doors and every dimension fireplace all. Show the kitchen locale and it's wall accurately as well.

Use a dotted line to denote the changes in FLOORING on that drawing!! THEY WILL DEFINE YOUR SPACES AS MUCH AS THE WALLS.

You need furnishings aside from plant life : )

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

Too much work for a rental. They could have at least provided you with neutral walls.

• freedomplace1
    last month

The yellow is nice. Dining by the fireplace can be super chic and cozy.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

This is your home to live in it the way you want. How many are in your household and how often do you eat at the dining room table? It looks like a table area is in the kitchen with a light to go over it. Do you want a table there and right next to it in the fireplace area as well?

Do you think you will use the fireplace, and if so would you prefer to put chairs there so you can sit in front of it? If so, you could put a little area rug here so the transition in flooring brings something more to look at than tile to wood.

• Amanda Smith
    29 days ago

Following

• PRO
    AiFL
    29 days ago

What’s ideal can only be decided by you, how you live, entertain, move around, etc. but from the photos, it looks like…under the kitchen fixture I’d put a small round breakfast table with 4 chairs. And the fireplace area looks like a keeping room, a small seating area be it a sofa or a few chairs. And then in the larger space it looks like a living and dining combo space with a larger table under the fixture and your living room at the other end. Overall it looks like a good entertaining space, somewhat open to each other but defined enough that each area can accommodate enough furniture to be useful and comfortable.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    29 days ago

I have no idea without a to scale floor plan with all measurements clearly marked on graph paper posted here in jpeg format in a comment. I think it really at this stage does not matter much try it both ways and see what works for your life . Trully there are no real rules just whatever works for how you live. I grew up with a mother who often changed the use of spaces in our home so the music room became the DR or the LR often on a whim .

• RedRyder
    29 days ago

More photos and a detailed, measured layout will help get you better answers.

As someone who rented a lot of places before becoming an owner, I can tell you that complementary area rugs on top of these discordant floors will help make the place feel more cohesive. Since it’s not your house you won’t be spending time and money to replace them. You just need the spaces to be functional and pleasing to your eyes.

Get the functions down and then you can coordinate decor. It looks like a fairly spacious house.

• doods
    29 days ago

Agree with @AiFL

• dani_m08
    29 days ago

When I saw the photo with the fireplace, my first thought was that it’s a little ”hearth room” = a cozy smaller living room for the family to hang out - or a place for guests when you are entertaining since people tend to hang out in/by the kitchen regardless of how much space you have in other rooms.

I’m half Italian - so, when I built my house, I made the kitchen pretty large - and included a fireplace - my fp is actually contained within my kitchen (I have two leather chairs + ottoman in front of it - and they actually get used).

My family (including when extended family is over) is ALWAYS in the kitchen - only time my formal dining room is ever used is while actually eating (when extended family is here).

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    29 days ago

Once Easter is over, we are hoping that you’ll be able to give us the answers we need that will make it possible for us to help you. As others have already mentioned, we really need the measurements. We understand that it’s a bit of a challenge with these rooms, but it will make it possible for us to help you. As others have also asked , how many people will be using the room daily, how many guests do you want to accommodate.? Do you want a TV in any of these rooms? A rough hand drawn sketch with measurements added is all that is needed. Please include the measurements of the doors, windows, openings, etc. We know that this is a repeat of that request but it will help us help you. You have gotten lots of good suggestions so far. Let’s see if we can create a 3-D rendition with suggestions once we get the answers to our questions. Best wishes.