Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_hogan285

Would just like the meal I paid for!

Jennifer Hogan
last month

Totally frustrated.

Ordered two dinners to go from Texas Roadhouse last Saturday to celebrate a friend's birthday

Rare Prime Rib for me and Med Well Ribeye for my friend. Ordered at 5:00 - earliest pickup time was 8:00.

Drove 20 minutes, got there on time and had to wait another 20 minutes till my order was ready. Got home, opened the boxes and the "Rare" Prime Rib was an end cut. I've cooked at home and in restauants and have never seen a "Rare" end cut. This was not the exception. They also gave us the wrong sides.

Called and the manager told me that they were out of Prime Rib, but I can come in and get anything else I want. I told her I was not driving 20 minutes to pick up another dinner when it is already 9 pm.

She offered to comp our dinners and I could come in on Sunday. I told her I had plans for Sunday, but could come in next Saturday. (Today).

Called at 2:00. She told me I could order any two entries, up to $15.00 each.

I explained that last weeks unsatisfactory meal was $60.00. She agreed that I could order the same thing as last week and it would be free.

I had foot surgery yesterday and can't drive, so I told her I would have someone pick it up at 7:00. (Friend was getting off work at 6:00). At 6:58 they called - So sorry - they are out of Prime Rib.

I'm not happy, but want to eat sometime today so I told her to replace my Prime Rib with a Rare Rib Eye.

Friend got here - Rib eye is medium rare - but I will live. Not worth calling again, except, that is the only dinner in the bag. Call back again. Oops - they forgot to put the other dinner in the bag.

Friend is now driving back (20 minutes each way) to get the second dinner.

WTF! I like the rolls at TR, but they really are not that great that I am willing to deal with this level of complete incompetence.

Comments (17)

• maddielee
    last month
    last modified: last month

Sorry, I see the restaurant trying to help you.

Don’t eat there again?

• Olychick
    last month

Trying? I think they need to try harder. Competent help is apparently hard to come by these days.

• eld6161
    last month

Mistakes and running out of food, not once but twice, they would be off my list. It’s sad all around.

No one wants to see restaurants fail.

• Oakley
    last month

Fool me once, etc. I’ve been in that situation with to-go orders. Texas Roadhouse is always jam packed, and theyre all simple orders too. Bad management.

• blfenton
    last month

We have stopped ordering meals to be delivered or picked up. The orders are not only often wrong but half the ingredients will be missing or it's absolutely cold. Pizza places and Chinese food restaurants can deliver hot and correct orders so that's our go-to now. Why can't everyone else do as they do.

• cawaps
    last month

It is so frustrating when a business can't seem to manage to get very basic things right.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    29 days ago

The manager put a $30 gift certificate in the bag with the second meal.

I heated up my sous vide to 122, put my steak in to stay warm while I waited the 40 minutes for my friend to get back with their steak.

I don't know how I lived without a Sous Vide! It is the only way to re-heat rare meat without over cooking, and the only way to get my steaks perfect every time. Sadly it couldn't un-cook the overdone steak - it was a bit on the dry side.

• arcy_gw
    29 days ago

We don't like to hear what people are telling us. When they said they couldn't have it for you until 8 is when you should have bailed. They clearly were not prepared to deliver your choice. It was soo kind of you to travel for this pick up--but again a meal with that time delay--meat you want cooked a certain way--it was failed from the start.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I have never liked going out for dinner. There are a few places that make things really well, but generally I can make a meal at home for less money that tastes better and is always cooked the way I like it.

Pizza is the exception. My favorite pizza is the pizza I grew up eating. 'Pete' was from Sicily and he and his brothers all opened pizza shops around our home town and all use similar recipes. Pete's was my favorite, but he passed away and his wife sold the shop.

That was a sad story - Pete set his son up to run the business, but when Pete got sick his son let things run to the ground. Just didn't try. He had worked in the shop for 25 years before his dad got sick, knew what to do, but would close early or not open at all, stay home and watch football, wasn't paying the staff. . . Now he is working behind the counter for one of his uncles.

When I lived in California I tried to replicate the recipe, but never hit the nail on the head.

The other thing I don't often make at home is a Prime Rib Roast. Big piece of meat for me to make for myself or even for two. I do have a restaurant that makes a really good Prime Rib, but it is their Tuesday night special, so you have to go on a Tuesday.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@arcy_gw - I live in a small PA Dutch town. There isn't anywhere closer to get Prime Rib on a Saturday. The place I get it on a Tuesday isn't much closer, but they get it right every time. As long as you pop the lids the meat doesn't continue to cook. May need warmed a bit when you get it home, but it is cooked right.

• 3katz4me
    29 days ago

I always check any take out orders now before I leave the restaurant. So many times they're wrong or missing something. Hard to tell is something is overcooked though. I tend not to try to order anything like that because it's not that great anyway by the time you get it home. Usually just salads or sandwiches.

• Funkyart
    29 days ago

Jennifer, I understand your frustation but I think any busy restaurant is going to struggle. Texas Roadhouse is crazy busy here -- and especially on weekends. I don't go there often but I know they display their fresh meat in the case and because it IS fresh and not frozen, I can see how they would run out towards the end of the night.

While not impressed with the series of issues, I am impressed that the manager tried to make things right for you repeatedly. I have had a few experiences recently where the manager was rude or worse, patronizing, when faced with an issue. At least your manager acknowledged your issues and made an effort.

Maybe the best option would be for you to plan your takeout orders when the restaurant isnt at peak capacity? A Tues evening vs Saturday? or 4pm vs 8pm? Or maybe lunch vs dinner? I know it may not be as convenient or ideal -- but for a restaurant that is focused on in-house diners, it may work out better for you.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    29 days ago

Nothing to add about TR, but wondering if Pete's son was having trouble dealing with his dad's illness, and that's why he neglected the business?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    29 days ago

I feel your frustration and sometimes we all need to vent!

• graywings123
    28 days ago

Sorry you went through this. I am never able to get rare beef except at a high end steak house, even when eating in. I'm lucky to get medium rare. It's almost always medium.

Just my opinion, some food isn't appropriate for take out, and prime rib is one of them. Also: eggs or toasted bread. They don't travel well.

• Jennifer Hogan
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I have learned that as long as I pop the top on the container I can do prime rib as take out and get it home without it continuing to cook. Leave the top closed and it will continue to cook.

I will call my next order in right when they open, go pick it up and check it before leaving and just re-warm it later in the day with the Sous Vide.

Will let you know how it works out.

• dani_m08
    28 days ago

This just happened to us this past weekend - completely forgot to include ine of the entrees - and there were only two entrees in the order.

So FRUSTRATING!

I swear the order is wrong way more often than it is correct these days.