Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_86762766338

Freestanding Tubs Pros & Cons?

Ken
last month

I've always wanted a nice freestanding tub to soak in and i'm finally remodelling my bathroom in my small house. All I have is an alcove tub shower in an old 60's style ranch home, and i was thinking of putting in something like this since a shower will still be mandatory. I don't see anything but glorious upside here, but i've also made many many design mistakes when redoing rooms in my house lol.

Old bathroom

Design Idea

Comments (16)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

No No No

Not enough room. At all.

Not everything you see in an image on the internet is smart, good design, functional.

You''d clean the dust, hair, and goo around that how??

Put a hot tub in the back yard or garner space from an adjacent room : )

YOU NEED a minimum foot all around a free standing tub

• Jennz9b
    last month

Too small for a free standing tub.

• roarah
    last month
    last modified: last month

Is this the only bathroom with a tub? If so I would look for a nice deep alcove tub built to have a shower above. If there is another tub I would just add a large walkin shower.

This looks better, easier to get into and to clean around than your inspiration. It likely holds the same depth of water if not more too.

Ken thanked roarah
  • vinmarks
    last month

That would be another design mistake. Really think about showering in something like that. The water and soap suds are not going to fall nicely into the tub. It is going to splash on walls, out of the alcove area and behind the tub. Where does the water drain that ends up behind the tub? Think of the water and soap scum that ends up under the tub and the mold that will grow because it can not properly dry out. How would you be able to clean behind the tub? That one glass panel shown in your picture is not keeping water from coming out of that alcove when someone showers. Water splashes off your body.

It is a bad idea.

• Ken
    Original Author
    last month

you guys are no fun,. Thanks for the feedback though in all seriousnessness, that's why i come here to hear from pros.

• lindacottonwood
    29 days ago

I have a freestanding tub. Yes you need a least 12" around all sides. You can't believe the stuff that gets behind a tub.

• la_la Girl
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Totally agree with what’s been said - also wanted to add that DH just spent a weekend with his parents and said it was terrifying watching his father step over the high ledge of their soaker tub to shower - not a grab bar in sight. Their designer told them it was “in style“

Ken thanked la_la Girl
  • beesneeds
    29 days ago

No.. it's not really a design idea as in make this pic a reality with your alcove. It's a mockup of some design elements that can go together in a display. Like how bathroom showrooms/aisles will have a bunch of mockups to show off the tubs, but none of them have actual use clearances. They can't really afford the floor display space to do it proper. The mockup is the same- it's cramming in the elements to display. Mockups can be fairly pleasing to the eye, but not always suitable for reality.

Ken thanked beesneeds
  • Ken
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Well by the unanimous response here i'm going to shfit course to something more like this As suggested by @roarah, perhaps even with a boring ole shower curtain instead of glass. Sigh. and was thinking alot about that as my aging bad kneed self was getting into a higher tub, think i'll add a grab bar regardless, @la_la Girl.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    29 days ago

They are a PITA to get in and out of even when you are young. Thye need a min. of 12" all around for cleaning and even them you will need to get in the tub and almost stand on your head to clean the walls behind. They look best in huge spaces and IMO one of those things will will soon be dated . A nice deep alcove soaker tub/ shower with a nice hunged glass shower screen pretty timeless and just nicer IMO. BTW always a good plan to add at least one grab bar

Ken thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • la_la Girl
    29 days ago

just a plug for a sleek custom (length/width) shower curtain - you can find them on Etsy - they look very tailored

• RedRyder
    29 days ago

Nope, not a good idea. Look at the tub posted by @roarah. That’s modern AND safe.

High sided tubs are an accident waiting to happen.

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

Depending on your situation ..a small outdoor jacuzzi is heaven to soak in…with a little roof over it …so rain wont matter…they come in smallish sizes that are cheap to keep heated…it is an everyday thing for me…and definitely …every golf day …for my hubby…if privacy is needed …a simple bamboo fencing surround is easy and inexpensive to build…

• Ken
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I think this needs to be my move @btydrvn 🙂

• vinmarks
    25 days ago

That was our move.