Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statikdayspa

base cabinet help

Kayla Johnson
29 days ago

I need help deciding if I should have all drawers or one regular cabinet in this space. Which looks better? Do you love your drawers? I’ve never had the bigger drawers.

Comments (26)

• chicagoans
    29 days ago

Drawers are awesome and so much handier than cabinets with shelves IMO. BUT you need to make a list of what you’ll store, and where. You may want a narrow cabinet for baking trays and cutting boards if you don’t have a place for them in your uppers. I measured my biggest pots, skillets and baking sheets and planned accordingly. My only non-drawer lowers are under sinks and one for my stand mixer.

As far as what looks best… I think great functionality is beautiful 😃

• la_la Girl
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

^ agree, figure out what you plan to store there and choose accordingly -either approach looks nice

• HU-910663146
    29 days ago

I'm not a decorator, but to me, how it looks matters a lot. I've lived in a lot of kitchens in my life, none of which I designed. And you know what, I adapted just fine to every one of them. Yes, smart design and laying out the kitchen in advance so that it works better is of course a smart idea. But I'm just not someone who is going to measure their pots and pans. I'll stick them where they fit or throw them out when my kitchen remodel is done. I'd rather it look great. YMMV

• herbflavor
    29 days ago

if thats 4 or 5 feet of space Id really get one drawer stack at 36 inches...... 12 inches left over can be a tray cabinet. 2 feet left over can be another smaller stack. I fear that two stacks at 24 width each isnt the best . Optimize what drawers provide and go a little wider. Youll see once they are in......My mom had a 39 and 42 inch wide stack among others and it was great.

• anj_p
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

You can have form and function. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I have found drawers are more useful than cabinets 95% of the time. The 5% where a cabinet is more useful belongs to sheet pan & cutting board storage with built-in dividers, which works really well in a cabinet.

I also think drawers look better. Larger drawers (36") are better for function.

• jo mu
    29 days ago

All drawers for those base cabinets next to the fridge it looks better than doing one not and drawers are so much more useful than cabinets honestly

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    29 days ago

It’s 54 inches. I already have a small base cabinet with a divider for pizza pans cutting board.

• chispa
    29 days ago

I've had 3-drawer stacks as wide as 48". I had spices in the top drawer and stored all my pots/pans in the 2 bigger drawers. You can always divide up a larger drawer, but you can't make a smaller drawer bigger!

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I just didn’t know if it would look funny since all my other cabinets are smaller.

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I guess I could see what a 36 stack and a 18 inch cabinet would look like.

• chicagoans
    28 days ago

Kayla I think you'll love your wide drawers! Be sure to use high quality, full extension glides.

I'm not a naturally organized person, and having drawers with organizers helps me find things in a snap. (Plus, I dislike stacking things, because it seems like I always need the thing on the bottom.) I lined all my drawers and cabinet shelves with cork to keep my new cabinets protected.

Sharing to demonstrate how easy it is to find things in drawers without digging through stacks: these are 30" drawers; top one has accordion style organizers from IKEA; bottom has pegboard from IKEA. (Rev-a-Shelf has nice pegboard organizers but at a much higher price point.)

These are 36" drawers; top one has a shallow pullout:

• chicagoans
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

@HU-910663146 "to me, how it looks matters a lot" I think that's true for everyone here! I love the clean look of all drawers. Also, good cookware is an investment and I sure as heck wouldn't toss anything into the landfill instead of measuring it.

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks for showing your drawers!! I’ve been wondering what people put in them! Lol. I’m going to ask about the 36 inch! Do you think the 2-27 inch would be too small?

• chicagoans
    28 days ago

Kayla: regard 2 27" drawers: it all depends on what you need to store, but you can see how much I fit into the 30" drawers. You could try mocking it up by taping out a rectangle and fitting things into it. Remember that your drawer interiors will be smaller than the overall size, and will vary depending on whether you have side-mounted or bottom-mounted glides. Hopefully your cabinet provider can tell you interior dimensions. You may find that 36 + 18 fits your needs better than 27 + 27, or 30 + 24, etc. Sorry to be vague!

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

No that’s great advice! Ty!!

• AnnKH
    28 days ago

More uses for drawers:

But measuring is critical! These are the bottom drawers in 3-drawer stacks, If the bottom 2 drawers had been the same height, neither the canisters nor cake pans would have fit, so I specified to my cabinet maker how deep the usable interior space had to be. The middle drawer got what was left, but I didn't put tall things in those drawers (this is my previous kitchen). In fact, the cabinet maker screwed up and initially made those 2 bottom drawers equal height, but as soon as I brought it to his attention (and we looked at the plans together), he changed them.

I did the same thing with our super susan, where we kept small appliances. I measured the tallest thing I wanted to store there (it happened to be the rice cooker), and made sure the cabinet maker knew the minimum height I needed for it. Again, the top and bottom turntables were not the same height - but they were exactly the heights that *I* needed.

That's why it's SO very important to figure out where everything is going to be stored, and then measure. That exercise is well worth the effort.

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

This a 36 drawer and 18 cabinet.

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks for the additional pics of drawers!! I think it will be for all my gadgets and then now that I have the cabinet I can put my crockpot in there too!

• AnnKH
    28 days ago

At the risk of belaboring the point, the correct configuration is wholly dependent on what you want to store there. Mixer lift? Cabinet. Dish towels, bags and wraps? Drawers for sure. Developing a kitchen storage plan will ensure that all those things are in a location where they are most convenient - pots and pans, potholders, cooking utensils and spices near the stove; cutting boards, knives and colanders near the sink; dish storage near the dishwasher.

While we're looking at your plan - is that an angled upper corner cabinet? Have you used on of those before? I had 2 in my old kitchen, and they were miserable black holes. I replaced them both with Easy-reach cabinets.

I also wonder about the cabinets to the right of the range - how wide are they? Since you have decent prep space next to the sink, I would move the range to the left and put a nice drawer stack on the right, giving you better storage and a better landing spot.

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I do have one of those corner cabinets lol and I was going to do the easy route, but it looks like it was just too many doors with all of the cabinet doors up there. So I changed it back to the angle door again with the black hole. I put in a Lazy Susan but now I’m wondering should I have done a blind corner there? Do you have any info on that? The cabinets on the right (if you’re looking at it) side of the range are 12 inches. The one on the left is 18 inches. And the top one is 27. There is a door next to the 12 inch ones so I can’t go any further that way.

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

This is a better pic

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

This is the easy reach. I know those lines won’t be as noticeable in real life but I just thought it looked like it had too much going on over in that corner. What are your thoughts? And since you’ve had both?

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I also have a corner soffit. So I don’t know if it would look weird without the corner door.

• anj_p
    28 days ago

Just make it flat panel if you don't like all the lines.

• AnnKH
    28 days ago

Can the soffit be removed? That would allow you to take the cabinets to the ceiling.

My old kitchen had 3 upper 12" cabinets, and they were next to hopeless. The 12" drawers were even worse. One 12" base cabinet for cookie sheets and cutting boards is great, but it's far better if that is in a cabinet run without a corresponding 12" upper above it. When I remodeled, 2 of those 12" uppers went to 16", which was worlds better.

My current kitchen (not the one I remodeled) has a blind upper, and it's fine. The things back in the corner are things we don't use often, or larger things that are easy to access. My range is 36" from the corner, so there isn't room for an easy-reach without a 12" upper, which I refuse to have. The better storage in the 24" cabinet, makes up for the blind corner.

In your case, I would move the range 18" to the left, put a 30" drawer stack on the right, and a blind corner accessed on the range side, with a 24" door. The upper cab to the right of the sink becomes 12" wider (or split into 3, depending on the width). This eliminates a LOT of narrow cabinets, and reduces the number of cabinets - the reduced cost of fewer cabinet boxes may cover the increased cost of the drawer stack.

• Kayla Johnson
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thank you for all your input!! I appreciate it!