Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_d4

Adding an enclosed porch to a ranch house?

Janet D
27 days ago

Just bought this house and are close to starting renovation, but we can’t pin down the front. Currently there is a concrete patio. Because the lot is wooded and near water, there are lots of bugs and we’d love to have a screened enclosure there. (West exposure so beautiful sunsets.) It’s so unusual to have a screened room in the front of a house, esp a ranch, but I’m hoping someone has solved this issue.

The front

Aerial

Current patio

Comments (10)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

No.

It will involve roofline, will turn your interior to a tomb. doesn't suit the house in any scenario.

Put a modern gazebo in the front forty : )

Janet D thanked JAN MOYER
  • liz_fb
    27 days ago

I would definitely get advise from an architect for that one!

Janet D thanked liz_fb
  • Rachel Lee
    27 days ago

What rooms are on that side? You could do a cover that stops short of the main door, keeping that for unimpeded access, and swap a window to a patio door, which would help offset the darkening of the added roof. If that’s the west facing side, you probably could use some light control, honestly!

Janet D thanked Rachel Lee
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    27 days ago

Not a pro. But if you love to enjoy the outdoors and the sunsets, then I think it’s a great use of your home. That’s a lovely patio and I’d certainly want to sit there and enjoy, without bugs. The possibility of less sunlight entering the home is something to consider but maybe there are some good work-arounds. Or, perhaps, less light is a good trade off.

Janet D thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • kandrewspa
    27 days ago

I don't see how you could add a structure with a roof onto the front of this house because of the hip roof and the two wings on the ends with hip roofs (and get an attractive end result). If you're not going to use the patio I would remove it because I think that much concrete is not welcoming at your front door. I think Jan's idea of a gazebo is the best solution for a screened in room.

Janet D thanked kandrewspa
  • la_la Girl
    27 days ago

Agree that it will darken your front room so much - I think the easiest/best approach to managing bugs is an oscillating outdoor fan on low (many are weak flyers) - we have used a DecoBreeze pedestal fan for years on our back patio - Thermacell systems add an additional layer of protection

(FWIW we do outdoor movie nights in the summer and the Thermacell keeps mosquitoes at bay for several hours)

Janet D thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    Minardi
    27 days ago

No, it will be horrible for curb appeal, and you won't use something on the front of your house, all exposed to the world, for any type of relaxation or family gathering. There's a reason screened porches are on the rears of homes.

Janet D thanked Minardi
  • woodrose
    26 days ago

I wouldn't make any decision about changing the front of the house until you've lived there for awhile. You have a beautiful home as is, and you might make a decision you regret later. This is not an emergency decision you must make immediately. Put some kind of seating out there and see how much you actually use it within a couple of months. Also, this is an exterior project, so it's not going to affect your living conditions if you wait.

• beesneeds
    26 days ago

I can understand the desire for a screened porch. I too live on a property with a lot of water and bugs :) Call in a pro to help you with this. If you put a solid roof on it, it will block a lot of your light on that part of the house. But it could be possible to build it like a solarium or conservatory with a glass roof that is attractive. Probably not actual glass now a days. It would need to be pitched for the sake of snow load and rain run off. Another issue will be the precipitation. Currently it runs to the roofline- if you do a roofed porch, you need to accomidate that. Those are probably your biggest building challenges. Adding in screen walls is more of a visual challenge. But people do manage. You can use your framing to help create visual appeal, some folks use gingerbread to dress things up. Landscaping helps too.