Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherlyman

How would you balance the wall with off-center window behind this bed?

heatherlyman
26 days ago
last modified: 26 days ago

Longview - Primary bedroom · More Info

Comments (22)

• tfitz1006
    26 days ago

Can you put the bed where the bookshelf is?

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    26 days ago

The bed won't fit there. I uploaded more pix of the other walls in this room. (The cow painting is sitting on a table covering a tv that needs to be mounted. This is not a permanent situation nor are the stacked chairs next to that big half-wall the tv is on. The half wall covers the top of a stairwell, in case you were wondering.)

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    26 days ago

The ugly carpet is being replaced with honey hue LVP

• Darcy Banasiak
    26 days ago

Move the rectangle picture about the window off centered. The pictures and window lined up brings visual attention to the fact the window and bed don't line up

heatherlyman thanked Darcy Banasiak
  • heatherlyman
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Any other aesthetic changes are welcome!

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Thanks, Darcy. So move the picture where the mirror is?

• freedomplace1
    26 days ago

I think if you just remove the round mirror, and embrace the asymmetry, it would look better.

Or you could use one longer wooden piece that picks up on the wood window trim.

Or you could hang a curtain that drapes over part of the window.

heatherlyman thanked freedomplace1
  • heatherlyman
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Interesting idea for a diagonal drape but I hate to cover the natural light into the room. I like the wood art but wonder if it will do what Darcy said and emphasize the off-centered window by lining it up.

• Kendrah
    26 days ago

Other than the painting looking a little too crowded and close to the window, I think what you have now is a pretty good set up considering the situation. This is a challenging space and you have done well with it.

heatherlyman thanked Kendrah
  • heatherlyman
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Thanks, Kendra. Agree it's a bit crowded. I wonder about putting the barn photo next to the bookshelf (over the dog bed) and then as 'freedomplace' suggested I could do wood art like this.

• enajasereht
    26 days ago

I would remove everything on the window wall and place the dresser kitty corner with the plant lined up with the corner for added height because it lines up with the height of the window. Then I would put the bookshelf close to the doorway to the bathroom nearer to the light switch. Keep the nightstands and bed where they are and move the plant that's on the floor and anything else away from the window wall. I think in this case less is more.

heatherlyman thanked enajasereht
  • heatherlyman
    Original Author
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

enajasereht , is this what you have in mind? These pix show how this room used to be with the bed and nightstands pushed over directly opposite the half wall. It's too tight to leave the dresser and shelves on the bathroom wall without moving the bed and nightstands further to where they once were and then they aren't centered more into the room where they are in the pix above. Maybe it's just better that way how I had it and there's no window-over-bed to contend with. There's just a big empty space right when you walk in the room though and nothing really under the window either in the mock-up below (how I used to have it). Maybe I'll move the dog bed and floor plant there. Not too visually appealing but something under the window anyway.

• la_la Girl
    25 days ago

If it were me, I would remove the barn print and just has the circle print on that wall - agree to embrace the assymetry and maybe have fewer items where you can - cozy room!

( FWIW painting the walls and ceiling the same color (or close) would tone down all the jigs and johs)

heatherlyman thanked la_la Girl
  • heatherlyman
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Thanks lalaGirl. All the walls and ceiling are the same color. ;)

• auntthelma
    25 days ago

I like your triptic picture.

• enajasereht
    25 days ago

No, my suggestion was to kitty corner the dresser right where you have it where those 2 walls meet. Not to move it to the other side of the room.

• Sigrid
    25 days ago

I'd put a longer nightstand/low dresser to the right. I'd put a taller, narrower dresser to the left (maybe the one you have). I'd remove the picture at the head of the bed.

heatherlyman thanked Sigrid
  • Claudianne Young
    25 days ago

What if you added two shelves, one going across the top of the window going across the wall and one below the window going across the wall? Then you could put the painting leaned on the top shelf over on the bed side making it higher to give attention away from the window, put your books on the shelves in interesting ways, and perhaps put a plant or a pretty colorful glass object in front of the window.

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Thanks Claudianne
    I like your idea but maybe just one shelf in line with the bottom of the windows with staggered art, plants, etc. I hadn’t considered a gallery shelf. Trains for sharing.

• heatherlyman
    Original Author
    25 days ago

*Thanks

• Darcy Banasiak
    25 days ago

Sorry meant to say above the window, make the mirror, picture and window almost look like a mosaic. Or you could replace mirror with picture and add another picture above the window