Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

Pavers instead of cement?

Paul F.
24 days ago
last modified: 24 days ago

An architect on here said pavers don't work with certain architecture but he did not elaborate. Someone recently suggested pavers for my remodel. No one in my immediate vicinity has pavers that I know of so now I'm hesitant.

I have a modern home that is actually a triplex. I live in the front unit, facing the street and I have two units behind. I'm replacing the 50 foot walkway from the sidewalk to the rear units and then repaving the small private yards to the units as well.

I went and looked at pavers today and found there is a brand new paver product that has crushed abalone in it in 3 patterns. It's kinda nice. Why doesn't anyone have pavers?? It's not that much more than sand finished poured cement. Will they work here?

Comments (21)

• Boxerpal
    24 days ago

I have no idea if they will work where you are? And no idea why no one else does it? Are you in California? Did you check your HOA or zoning rules? I would drive around further than just your neighborhood to see what others have. Take photos. What do others do in your neighborhood? Crushed stone or cement?

I think the pavers would look great.

But... Pavers need a lot of prep work. There are reasons people hate them but usually its because they were not installed properly to begin with. The soil underneath shifts and can create a nightmare of unstable stones making a challenging path. But pavers are also durable and can be repaved or fixed.

Paul F. thanked Boxerpal
  • K Laurence
    24 days ago

Odd, pavers are used often where i live ( So Cal, both at my modern beach home $ desert home ). The second pattern pic you posted are similar to mine except mine don’t have the shells. I’ve had pavers for years at another home also , they looked like new when I sold. Mine are ADA compliant , smooth not like the older cobblestone looking ones used years ago.

Paul F. thanked K Laurence
  • Kate Cowers
    24 days ago

We have TechnoBloc pavers for our front walkway and have had no issues with them over 4+ years. Yes they take some prep work (the landscapers, not us lol) to dig/level/gravel/set etc. Then they sweep a sand-like mixture over them that settles into the grout and hardens after they wet it. I'd do it all in other places if there was an opportunity. I live in western New England.

We do have them cleaned every year and resealed every two years.

Paul F. thanked Kate Cowers
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

These are ground down to be smoother but are still non-slip. There are no rules against them, I just don't see them being used around my neighborhood in Santa Monica. I see formed cement on most modern homes around here. I don't like to hear that they might need to be power washed and sealed so often since this would be about 1200sqft.

This pic is not quite my situation but they would be coming right off the sidewalk like this and it would be a long stretch to the back. Maybe too commercial looking?

• K Laurence
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

@Paul F ….. that pic looks identical to mine on our walkway. I have large poured in place concrete pavers in our atrium. i’ve never had mine power washed or sealed, I don’t know what that’s about? In any event we love ours , we live in similar locale ( Newport & La Q ).

• bichonbabe
    23 days ago

Okay, I can't help myself! Sorry! Cement is an ingredient in concrete.

There is no such thing as cement driveways, pavers, countertops, nothing is cement. It is all concrete. Been married to a civil engineer for over 30 years and he's wormed his proper terminology into my brain. LOL.

Paul F. thanked bichonbabe
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    23 days ago

We have pavers for driveway, front entrance and back patio. We’ve had some issues with moss growing between them but that’s likely a sand issue. Otherwise we love them and think they look awesome. They are extremely common where I live and I would say are consider nicer than a concrete driveway or patio area.

Paul F. thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    23 days ago

I think those pavers would look great with your house.

Paul F. thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Ok, I drove around I see pavers in high end areas. It kind of skips the medium neighborhoods. I see some settling on some and lots of plant growth between the pavers. I would assume that some seeds entered from the top and sprouted in the sand or could it be just poor installation and growth from below?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    23 days ago

Weeds happen. After five years I feel unavoidable to be honest. We power wash each year and redo sand occasionally

Paul F. thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • T T
    23 days ago

I suspect the primary reason you don't see pavers more often is due to cost, both to install and to maintain over time. Concrete will be cheaper, but pavers look nicer. One downside to pavers, aside from cost, is if you want a smoother surface to play basketball on or you're concerned with someone tripping by catching an edge (low risk but it's not as smooth to walk on as concrete). Drainage can sometimes be harder to manage with pavers too. I would probably consider it in areas where you care most about how it looks.

Paul F. thanked T T
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    23 days ago

I've had pavers and I won't ever get them again. No matter how well you prep the underlayer, they eventually become uneven--earth shifts, it's just a fact of life on the planet. (Something we in the NY metro area just experienced--a 4.8 magnitude earthquake. But I digress.)

Also, even with using polymeric sand, which is supposed to inhibit the growth of weeds, eventually it breaks down and you get weeds growing in between the pavers. And if you have ants or other insects, you will get lots of them crawling up to the surface and you'll see anthills in the cracks. Ugh.

Can you use a different type of natural stone, like bluestone or sandstone, with mortar between the stones? That is what we replaced the pavers with, and it's SO much nicer. No more hand-picking or spraying weeds.

Paul F. thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • ptreckel
    23 days ago

Check into pervious paver options, too. These allow rainwater to penetrate the soil and prevent run off. Better for the environment. They do require special, deeper preparation of layers of gravel and sand and wider gaps to allow water to filter out. I suspect that architects are suggesting concrete because of the modern aesthetic of your beautiful home.

Paul F. thanked ptreckel
  • K Laurence
    23 days ago

Maybe I’m just lucky but I’ve had pavers in 3 different home for many years, never had a problem with settling ( & I live in So Cal so some earth movement ) & never had a weed problem. Maybe it depends upon the quality of the installation process.

• PRO
    23 days ago

With all due respect, you may not have had a weed problem since you live in such a dry climate, it's difficult to get anything green to grow. Here in the northeast, we have lots of humidity and damp soil, so weeds grow everywhere.

My pavers were installed by a very reputable landscaper, so I doubt there was a problem with the installation.

• K Laurence
    21 days ago

@ Diana Bier , I wouldn’t describe my climate as “dry”:since my house is on the water ( harbor ) a few blocks from the ocean. Foggy mornings & evenings are common & “May Gray” & “June Gloom” are coming up. My irrigation hasn’t been on since September due to the unusual amount of rain this year.

• eld6161
    21 days ago

Make sure you understand how it should be installed and what maintenance is involved.

My HOA here in Florida decided to replace our concrete driveways with pavers due to cost. Pavers here were significantly cheaper.

We now are now starting to issues. No one the board stayed to oversee the project. Installation was done incorrectly. There is future maintenance involved and they were not aware. In other words they didn’t do the research. Don’t get me started.

Pavers can look lovely and I understand your preference. Just do your homework.

Paul F. thanked eld6161
  • PRO
    20 days ago

Ok K Laurence, I guess you aren't in a dry climate. And you're lucky you don't have a weed problem. I was just relating my experience as a homeowner, not a professional.

• ptreckel
    20 days ago

Pavers are not care-free. I have three brick paver patios in my shady back yard in Ohio. They have seasonal eruptions of weeds through the sand and underlayment. They also have the occasional depression caused by energetic chipmunk burrowing tunnels beneath the bricks. Heaving from tree roots also occurs. Yes, I have seasons in Ohio. I have to weed my patios. I also have to power wash them at least every other year to remove the growth of moss and mildew. And then I have to restore the sand that gets blasted out from between the pavers. Like Diana Bier’s situation…yes, they are work. I have noted that people who use them for driveways in our part of the world see sag in the bricks and pavers from compression by car tires. So, over time, compaction of the underpinnings does occur, despite all the techniques used by reputable brick layers. Just affirming that pavers and bricks as patios and driveways aren’t fool proof or care free. Especially in the Mid West!

Paul F. thanked ptreckel
  • k8cd
    20 days ago

Concrete also has to be power washed to keep it looking clean. If there is settling, it can crack, which doesn’t happen with pavers. But sand and ants probably won’t be a problem.

They both have pros and cons.

Paul F. thanked k8cd