Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neepoppraisehim

My living room has VERY little natural light

DJ H
22 days ago

I am thinking of adding some windows. I know it won’t be cheap especially since we have a brick home. Perhaps narrow windows close to the top of the wall. I would love larger windows but there isn’t a view because our houses are close together. The ceilings are 10’. The only windows in the room look out over the screened covered patio.

What do you suggest?

Comments (23)

• HU-187528210
    22 days ago

How close is the next door?

And can you show us the screened in porch?
    Do you use it?

• DJ H
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Yes we use the porch

• DJ H
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Does this help?

• la_la Girl
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

Would it be easier to add skylights to your porch and pull in more light from there? (assuming the screened in porch has a roof)

• DJ H
    Original Author
    22 days ago

@la la girl - possibly, I’ll ask my contractor.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    22 days ago

I see windows on the left you need lighting and lots of it natural light is only good in the daytime. Get som tables add lamps maybe a floor lamp and honestly you need more furniture for sure , some art on the walls. .

• DJ H
    Original Author
    22 days ago

We just moved in and searching for all of those items.

• S Mil
    22 days ago

Slow down, live in the house at least a year before you decide to take on a major project of adding windows. And I’m not sure that would achieve what you want. For every decision you make there are consequences, some you may not fully realize at this point. take your time to get to know your new home. In the meantime concentrate on your furniture and art (even taking your time with that). Consider that a mirror might help optimize the natural light you already have.
    The sky light idea on the screened porch is worth considering. If one story house and if more natural light is all you want consider a solatube skylight in the living room.

• richfield95
    22 days ago

Is the wall with the TV the exterior wall?

• DJ H
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Yes the wall with the TV is exterior

• freedomplace1
    22 days ago

Try a color on the ceiling - such as Farrow & Ball ‘Borrowed Light’.

This color is similar:

Maybe some battery operated sconces

• deegw
    22 days ago

I would finish decorating before I made expensive structural changes, as mentioned above.

Did you ever look at yourself in the monitor at the Target self-checkout? It's not pretty. That's the lighting in your room right now. A little bit from the patio, mostly from overhead.

Add lamps, rugs, art, etc then see how you feel about the space.

• DJ H
    Original Author
    22 days ago

@freedomplace, that is interesting paint

• Boxerpal
    22 days ago

I love your floors. They are are beautiful. Congratulations on your new place. It is going to be lovely to decorate. I love Borrowed Light by Farrow and Ball, such a good suggestion. I also agree you may not need to add windows. I would wait to see how it all unfolds adding layers of light. Table lamps, floor lamps, and even light fixtures. Maybe even light inside the trey ceiling. Mirrors can also be used to reflect light from lamps.

Tray ceiling lights like this

Cortona Master Suite · More Info

And here is a living room without windows. Notice how they use recessed lights

Maybe you can add some

Living In Color · More Info

White really brightens this space

Modern Rustic Living Room · More Info

• Denise Marchand
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

You have a beautiful home! It's always hard to see past the empty room. Once you finish designing the space, your focus will be elsewhere.

la_la girl has a good suggestion of adding skylights to the roof of the porch.

Also The Farrow & Ball 'Borrowed Light' on the ceiling is another good idea.

Since the wall you are contemplating for windows faces your close neighbor, it probably won't help at all. You probably want to nix that idea, unless that wall is South facing and the neighbor's house is not a 4 story. Clearstory windows might work.

V V V V Velux Skylights - open and shaded

• Denise Marchand
    22 days ago

Clearstory windows:

• DJ H
    Original Author
    21 days ago

@Denise - yes clear story windows, I was thinking of something like that. I didn’t know their proper name. Thanks for the suggestions.

• HU-121436380
    21 days ago

Clerestory : )

• Denise Marchand
    21 days ago

You mean I've been spelling 'clerestory' wrong forever! Thanks for the correction. Never said spelling was my strong attribute...ha.

• DJ H
    Original Author
    21 days ago

@Beverly, I like your ideas!! And my husband would love a bigger TV. 😀
    I just need light to help my mood. Possibly solar tubes.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Just keep in mind the sun will be in a different position at different times of the year around your home. Your room may become much brighter.

Additionally, if you seek to add a narrow window at the top of the wall, if your home has an overhang on the exterior, no additional light will be added. The fact that your neighbor's home is so close will not work in your favor either.

You have a covered porch outside your LR windows. I have the same situation. I added downlights and kept the furniture light for several years. I learned to live with it

That porch contributes to reducing the amount of light in the room significantly. It's like a giant awning over your windows.

You could provide alternative light solutions with cove lighting since you have a tray ceiling

DJ H thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    20 days ago

IMO add more actual lighting all LED costs very little to run all day even and put the money for the window into something else like more furniture , a rug etc