Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Crazy BR Vanity Prices!

John 9a
21 days ago

I was in Lowes yesterday and saw two 48" vanities (base only I think) for right at a grand each. Looking at online prices, I see quite a few for less than that at Lowes but they are still in the $800 range. The fitment of the wood fronts and drawers is far from furniture-grade but some of the drawers are plywood so that's a plus.

It's frustrating to have to fork over so much for so little. I have made my own cabinets in the past for the same reason but would prefer to put my time into other parts of my remodel project.

Any alternatives or justification anyone wants to contribute before I tool up for cabinets again??

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Minardi
    21 days ago

Spend the 4K to have a custom maker do it for you, and it will happen before Christmas.

• John 9a
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Ewww, no way I would spend 4K on one base cabinet....even if it does take 'til Christmas for me to build mine.

I'm just blown away at the low quality for such high prices. I guess a grand seems cheap if 4K is the alternative but I can buy some nice wood for a lot less than a grand for a 48" cabinet. I'm griping because I don't see the justification.

I prefer not to but I can build cabinets.

Kitchen from previous home....Brazillian teak (Cumaru) faces/doors. Super dense wood and took a big router but the cabinets popped and were a huge selling point for the house.

• John 9a
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks eld. I didn't get a result for "Kitchen Showrooms"

I'm checking local antique stores for pieces that may look nice. Have a lead on one piece with no surface for $350 but not sure I'm in love with the style. I have a nice black granite top on order.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 days ago

Real furniture may be an option. Just be wary of veneer delaminating in a damp environment. Make sure you have good ventilation fans. Keep looking for old furniture pieces. You will eventually find something you like. Yes, a lot of vanities are garbage. I am happy at my wood vanity from Wayfair that we got in 2018 for around $700, until I look closely and see that the solid wood frames on the doors are made with several of those machine-made jagged joins. On a painted piece, they are smooth enough to be invisible, but my vanity is stained. If you look closely, you can see the joins. It is like my vanity’s solid wood parts are made of scrap wood! They remain invisible at a distance and to the touch, and the vanity performs very well, but I know that somewhere in China there is a lumber manufacturer laughing at the stupid Americans paying him to make scrap wood look good.

John 9a thanked Nancy in Mich
  • PRO
    Zumi
    11 days ago

4K would be barely mid grade quality. High quality would easily be double that.

• John 9a
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Nancy, right, that join is also common in cheaper wood trim and it will unjoin if it ever gets wet. Wood moves with humidity changes and unlike grain pattern will move differently so those joins are definitely a weakness.

My current color choices are greys, blacks, and whites so I may use a coarse-grain hardwood for the face and drawer faces. I saw a treatment I like where the wood is stained black and then wiped with white to fill the grains. Not enough white to quite qualify as a pickle wash but it should look very nice with my colors. I still have some time to poke around for a furniture piece.

Zumi, I have a high-grade plywood source within a three-hour drive. It's a woodworker and contractor supplier so they also have dimensional exotics. I'll use them if I can't come up with another option I like better. I'll try to post my end result and cost.