Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alma_zgodic

What to build above sliding door to hide pipes

Alma Zgodic
21 days ago

Hello! I love ideas and recommendations from people on this site and was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas for my dilemma.

We are redoing our kitchen and once we knocked down soffit it revealed some pipes that can’t be moved and we have to somehow cover them.

The area to be covered is right above the sliding doors and building just a regular box will look really weird.

the kitchen will be in modernd/somewhat industrial style and I was even thinking exposed brick which would fit the design and I love the look…but because of location of those pipes I don even know how i would do that.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments (10)

• apple_pie_order
    21 days ago

Put up a new soffit. It is impossible to make waste pipes look attractive in a home situation, especially in a food preparation area. Add sound insulation in the soffit.

• la_la Girl
    21 days ago

^ agree - that was a soffit doing its job, not sure they are a lot of other options, maybe a photo from further back?

• Boxerpal
    21 days ago

Maybe a carpenter could build a soffit that looks like a cabinet

Like this.

Advice for hiding a soffit

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    21 days ago

I'd get a plumber in to see if you can keep the 3" left 90 from dropping. Take it and the trapped 2" down to the main stack before tying back in. At least the new soffit would be smaller.

• Alma Zgodic
    Original Author
    21 days ago

This is what it looks like from afar. There are no cabinets in that corner. nor are there any (except couple of floating shelves) on the left of the door.

not sure if i should take that soffit all the way across the door or just stop half way

• Valinta
    21 days ago

A plain soffit will look fine, no need to add “cupbaord style doors” unless you feel you may need to access that plumbing and if the scenerio happens you will probably cut drywall anyway. Do not add brick. You design aesthetic will be revealed in other areas of the room, not above door frame.

• lkloes
    21 days ago

Stopping the soffit halfway will call even more attention to the problem. Continue it all the way across. Paint your wall and ceiling the same color and forget about it.

• palimpsest
    21 days ago

Don't stop the soffit half way across. A soffit that is a complete shape will look more intentional.

I live in a row house with masonry walls and some soffits are necessary. I had one that ran the width of the LR and was the width of the basement stairwell enclosure.

When we took the ceiling down in that area it was 90% empty with a pipe and a duct hanging down in one corner.

Some people just boxed out that little corner and I think it looks worse having a little box hanging down in one spot.

Yours would be so obvious boxed out hanging over the middle of the door and stopping. At least if it goes all the way across it will look "structural" somehow.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    20 days ago

Carry it all the way across and paint the same color as the walls. Over time, you will never look at it again. Just have it built as small as possible.

This kitchen had that kind of pipe halfway above the slider and it carried across to the cabinet on the right side of the stove hood! Soffit was very overbuilt so we were bale to make it much smaller.

• ffpalms
    20 days ago

I like Boxerpals idea to make the soffit look like cabinets. If you could use more storage, continuing the cabinets down either side of the sliding door might be very useful. I couldn’t find closed upper cabinets for the mock-up, but this is the general concept. I’ve left open wall space beside the doors for stacked drapes.