Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_697320795

Swanky Mid-Century vs. Shaker Kitchen Cabinets. Advice Please!

B B
20 days ago

Please help us choose between mid-century flat panel vs. shaker style kitchen cabinets. Our house is a 1950's build and can straddle mid-century and traditional styles (see photo below).

We'll likely be painting the exterior in the near future. Please let us know your thoughts and or vote. This is our first house and we don't know what were doing. Thanks!!

Oh and here's a photo of the existing kitchen.

Mid-Century Style
Shaker Style

Comments (16)

• kandrewspa
    20 days ago

I agree with you that you could go either way, so which one fits with your preferred style of furniture better? I think white flat panel can look really modern, but if you were planning on doing wood, wood flat panel would be a good choice.

B B thanked kandrewspa
  • herbflavor
    20 days ago

layout first. what is the layout. the footprint likely hasnt been updated at all so there may be a few things to adjust what is the situation w seating? does the seating need to come forward to modern lifestyle. if you just want to demo that existing kitchen and replace in same footprint Id go to Ikea. You'll want a dishwasher/ probably a new stove and hood../wheres the fridge? so save money w Ikea if you are simply sliding the kitchen into layout that is shown.

B B thanked herbflavor
  • B B
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thanks Amy. The only reason we're replacing the cabinets is because they are painted with flaking lead paint. And we have two little girls. We really like both the photos we uploaded for voting. Our interior design throughout the house is a bit haphazard...a bit of mid-century mixed with random college furniture and lots and lots of kids toys. We've been in the house for ~2yrs and have a pretty good idea of what we want in terms of layout. And yes, we are putting in a dishwasher (did I mention we have 2 little girls :) ). There is a little breakfast nook on the left hand side of the existing kitchen photo (can't see it in the photo). We might update that a bit with some mid-century flare....but that's down the road. We really just want to get the lead out and something nice in that will fit with the overall feel of the house.

• houssaon
    20 days ago

I love the flat panel. That would be my choice, hands down.

Looks like you have a good layout now. I assume the refrigerator is in the wall not shown. I would add a small counter on the other side of the range.

Would it make sense to flip the range with the refrigerator? That would give you more space for the range as long as there is not a lot of traffic from the doorway.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    20 days ago

You have a ranch house. It doesn't have any details leaning to MDM.

I think the kitchen could benefit from the details offered by the Shake-style cabinets.

There are some nice variations of the Shaker style.

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago

Oh that is a lovely house you have. My vote is Mid Cent Mod.. It will look lovely.

Maybe adjust the kitchen slightly to give you more space on either side of the stove. Where is the refrigerator. On the other wall. Would love to see that space.

Woodstock Mid-century Remodel · More Info

Midcentury Kitchen · More Info

• amystoller
    20 days ago

I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice. I agree you have to get the lead out — in both senses! Best of luck.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    20 days ago

First you redesign the kitchen to be functional once thta is nailed down then choose cabinet design. I think what ever style you want in the interior is what style you should choose for the cabinets. So if you post a to scale floor plan here showing windows, doorways where those lead and every meausurement clearly marked you will get lots of free advice about kitchen design. Use graph paper it makes it easier to do scaled drawings then post the drawing here in jpeg format in a comment DO NOT STAR another post on this space . IMO the exterior issues can be in another post .We also need info as to your life and how you cook and if you are thinking you need to make the kitchen larger .

• apple_pie_order
    20 days ago

Flat panel, similar to the originals. They were probably not painted originally. Do test for lead on the painted wood trim, too, if you haven't already done so.

B B thanked apple_pie_order
  • RedRyder
    20 days ago

Since you’re ready to do this kitchen, I agree that you should upload a fully measured layout of the current space. You need to start with the BEST layout possible. As for style, either will be great. If the bit of dust that shaker doors tend to collect will bother you, then go for the flat panel.

Most important is the storage space so get help in your layout first.

• palimpsest
    19 days ago

Given the kind of transitional moderne details like the door casings, I am not sure either is 100% right. This house is from the middle of the 20th century, but it's not particularly "modernIST" if that makes any sense, not like an Eichler or a Case Study House or anything like that.

I think a slab door is the way to go, but "swanky" is not it. This was never a swanky house full of either modernist or atomic or googie details (these are all 50s design vocabularies), it was a nicer ranch with contemporary transitional details. I would say a slab but maybe with a slightly more eased edge, and basic modern hardware. The MCM style kitchen you show is a 21st century fantasy. The kitchen in houses like yours looked like your kitchen. But maybe a stained slab and a bit of a style upgrade is in order. Just not too over the top.

B B thanked palimpsest
  • Kendrah
    19 days ago

All of the lines of shaker cabinets can look pretty busy in a small kitchen. I'd do with shaker if you can get ones with pretty skinny rails. Otherwise, flat slab would be fine. While you are look out for your kid's safety, I really would consider putting a super slender cart, cabinet, or shelving to the right of your range so nobody runs into hot items on the burners when they are running through that doorway.

B B thanked Kendrah
  • B B
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thanks everyone for your input. Definitely get that the house is a bit more "mid-century" than "mid-century-modern. That said, our neighbor has almost the exact same house and has gone with a more MCM design through and it looks great. The biggest reason why I'm leaning a bit towards the shaker style is because the doors are solid wood whereas the flat panels would be veneered. So from a durability standpoint the shakers would probably win out. From a style standpoint, the flat panels probably win. Here's a schematic of the existing layout created with the Ikea kitchen planner. Thought about moving the stove, but in the end we're just going to keep it near where it currently is. Please let us know if you have any over thoughts. Many Thanks!!

• JP L
    19 days ago

Are you doing an Ikea kitchen? If so, please let me live vicariously through you and install the Stensund cabinet doors/drawers! We also have a 1950's traditional home (although not a ranch) - if our space wasn't wonky and requiring of custom cabinets, I would have totally gone with the Stensund design - to me, they strike that balance between sleek/modern/simple with a bit of style that leans into the traditional. Just a thought!

• palimpsest
    19 days ago

I think most shaker doors are going to be a veneered recessed panel.