Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcconkie11

Entry/Hall table Size

mcconkie11
20 days ago

We have a huge air intake vent in our entryway on this narrow wall. It’s big and ugly. So I needed a piece of furniture that would be tall enough to cover it but also allow air to flow into the vent. I got this table today… love the look of it but it just seems too big for the space. What are your thoughts???

Comments (41)

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Also, would it look good with art or mirror above or would that be too high?

• KW PNW Z8
    20 days ago

I like it too but need some perspective for size consideration. What’s measurement of space from bottom of stairs to cabinet? Does it feel like it’s blocking traffic when rounding either corner from hallway or kitchen? My vote would be to hang art - 1 large piece almost as wide as cabinet & proportionally tall. The color from art would be nice add.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

No cabinet or console in the spot,? Use ART.

Show the ugly you are now hiding, please? And add dimensions of it on the wall?

What you have seems too high, too boxy.

• jackowskib
    19 days ago

Check out Amazon for Decorative Vent Covers, there are many websites with products to have a vent cover that is more complimentary for your space, almost like a work of art itself!

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    19 days ago

The table gives off the vibe that it is too big.

Yes, show us the vent.

• Boxerpal
    19 days ago

Maybe a smaller similar table to what you have.

Etsy makes a very pretty vent cover to allow the air exchange to function but not look pretty.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/968430069/magnetic-air-intake-custom-decorative

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    19 days ago

Very nice alternative, Boxerpal.

It's amazing to me where builders decide to place air vents, electrical outlets and thermostats. Thus once again proving that builders are NOT designers.

• HU-121436380
    19 days ago

I say go with only art on that wall. Also,the style of that cabinet doesn’t appear to be in keeping with the rest of your home.

• kandrewspa
    19 days ago

I can't see the vent too well, but it should be painted the wall color, not the trim color to help it blend in to the wall. It looks like it might be white. The console does look too large, but you will be the best judge of whether it's impeding traffic.

• Colin Etheridge
    19 days ago

Came to say just this! It'll look more in place if you put a mirror over it and finish the decor. It's a little more beachy in look with a traditional house, so lean into that and it shouldn't look out of place. Just don't forget to clean it lol

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

@jan more thanks everyone!! Here are some photos of the vent!

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Wall is 45” across. Vent is 22 x 28. Ceiling is 9’! Thanks for your help!!

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Table comes up to my chest. I was thinking of having my husband cut the legs off and add shorter metal legs. Lower it maybe 6-8”??

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I looked for vent covers but they were expensive for what I liked and the particular size. We are leasing this home so it seems silly to invest in that!

• Jilly
    19 days ago

I like the ideas others have given of painting it your wall color (I’ve done that in a former house) or getting a decorative cover, with a piece of art above it.

With the table in front of it, it actually stands out more to me.

• eld6161
    19 days ago

In that case, if you like the cabinet and it's notaffecting the flow, keep it.

As suggested, add art above.

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

We can’t paint. My style is kind of bohemian modern. A small sitting space is not a bad idea.

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

View from entrance

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

What if we shortened it??

• jackowskib
    19 days ago

Maybe shorten the legs about half way, provided you want it there. Have you descended the stairs a few times for a feel of the flow there? If good get fabulous art you’ll enjoy every day while coming downstairs.

• Maureen
    19 days ago

Problem with shortening legs is it not looking right, ruining/not being able to return. I’d keep looking and suggest something narrower and place a large basket or ottoman underneath and a mirror or art above. Experiment/test, as the items’ proportions are a big component in getting it right on this small wall especially.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    19 days ago

Wall is 45 " Vent is 22 w x 28?

More this size, and a demi will be much nicer

40 w 18/ d 33 hi

Add a really really fluffy faux fern below TO DISGUISE..., Add tall !!! art above and move on: )

Excellent here........ 40 w x 33 h x 15.75 d

THE AIR WILL GO thru the fern

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/willa-arlo-interiors-yearby-40-console-table-w001309622.html?piid=

add a BIG FERN BE

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Table needs to be at least 34” (preferably 35”+) tall to cover vent. That’s the problem I had from the beginning.

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago
  • KW PNW Z8
    19 days ago

The table you just show might be great - very narrow at 12” so no blocking traffic - stick a plant on bottom shelf to cover vent & hang art above. It’s a much less blocky / bulky table & does just what you want.

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thanks! I might just order it! Only $100 and real wood. What are your thoughts on a bench??? Too bulky in the hallway?

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Like this

• KW PNW Z8
    19 days ago

Might be if it’s deep enough to actually sit on. Put a chair there to test mockup - or a box the dimensions of bench. Would the bench be useful for the entry that’s right there to left? Art would be good hung over a bench too.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    19 days ago

What about a bench?

• njmomma
    19 days ago

I would paint the vent to match the wall. Add large art and be done with it. Homes have vents. The art will move the eye up.

• la_la Girl
    19 days ago

^ agree - I understand no painting in general bc you're leasing, but I don't think the lessor would even notice this change (I think it's not a great spot for a piece of furniture but just my opinion)

• AnnKH
    19 days ago

If you can find paint to match the walls, that would be ideal.

I feel like my eye is drawn to the vent because there is nothing else on the wall - before committing to furniture, I would try artwork in that space - something to draw the eye away from the vent cover.

• jackowskib
    19 days ago

These magnetic covers are available custom size on Etsy, yours for $55

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Whenever I put the custom size in the price goes up to like $300. Can you send a link?

• mcconkie11
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Also side note we do need a place to put shoes on and there is no other wall for an e try table.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    19 days ago

What is the distance from the floor to the top of the vent in inches??

I would remove the cover - it may be larjer than it meeds to be!!

Look beneath…..:)

• freedomplace1
    19 days ago

I would suggest a slimmer piece there, and a mirror. And I wouldn’t worry about the vent; places have vents, it’s a part of life. The good news is... if any visiting guests happen to notice your vent and comment on it - they are very close to the exit. :)

https://www.shopltk.com/explore/mydivinehome/posts/a67a1e7a-1506-11ee-a78b-0242ac110003

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

How about something like this? Though this particular one may be too casual for your home. And too short to cover the vent. I googled entryway blanket bench.

• la_la Girl
    18 days ago

Lol freedom - love that!

• claire larece
    18 days ago

Accidents just waiting to happen since it’s so close to the staircase. Can you place it somewhere else, I would just cover partial of the vent with a large painting unless that would be another eyesore