Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grey_ghost1

Kitchen Designer Looking for Ideas on Challenging Space

grey_ghost1
19 days ago
last modified: 19 days ago

Looking for any suggestions on how to lay out additional cabinetry in this long kitchen/dining space in 30 year old bungalow. I would like to keep dining table centered with large picture window (if possible!) A new table will be purchased but I did sketch a more compact dining table as I want to ensure there is enough space around it. Home owner gave me a list of wishes, including a section of countertop that is slightly lowered for baking, pantry space, and perhaps accenting custom cabinetry to replace a dated buffet/hutch.

(I am playing around with cabinets to go on the long, straight wall so please ignore what is sketched there as this is where I am finding the challenge, this whole section is open to be adjusted, modified, redesigned.)

I think I am finding the space not quite wide enough, I really dislike walkways that are too tight. The long, straight wall is load bearing and staying in place. As are windows and doors. I could reposition/move the closet (in that nook at top right, it is beside the front door-that is cut off at very top right.) On the far right of this is all living room space.

I considered banquette seating in the corner, as an option. Also considered moving the closet to the large open space that shows a dimension of 95 3/4", so that jog wouldn't be there near the dining table. All blue squares denote 1 foot.

Open to ideas and suggestions here!

Comments (5)

• AnnKH
    19 days ago

I really dislike narrow upper cabinets, as you show on each side of the range.

I don't like the way the cabinets crowd the window.

I don't see the need for island seating, with a table a few steps away. Removing the island seating gives you much needed aisle clearance.

• herbflavor
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

show the version B with "repositioning " the nook ..moving the table over ...getting a bigger island and take the stuff off the 3rd wall then. I dont like the use of the 3rd wall in this case ..so a bigger island might be the solution. Just cant quite picture that plan B you kind of describe . i have done quite a bit of baking but interest wanes w getting okder… cooking yes / baking not so much… these offer some possibilties w the lower area if you suggest bigger island.

West Coast Hamptons · More Info

Garage to Kitchen Conversion · More Info

grey_ghost1 thanked herbflavor
  • jennsbabysky
    19 days ago

That aisle looks way too narrow to accommodate seating at the island. I'd either remove the cabinetry behind it or remove the seating. There really isn't room for both.

grey_ghost1 thanked jennsbabysky
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Well? You're the K.d and sometimes you just say no, and especially when you know the wish list exceeds what is comfortably possible.

I don''t love the fridge locale but that's up to you. Overall it's just too tight. But you knew that: )

There's a table to sit and chit chat. The island doesn't NEED stools. You could build an island with open shelving below, lowered to baking height she prefers!

Truth is? If you can live with patina of use? A dining table with a marble top IS a lowered baking/dough surface, with an automatically cool surface temperature.

We're not seeing surrounding areas.... the "beyond" etc.

You are there to guide what is best for the space. Being the "yes" KD is not the best course for a great result......again, as you knew. Ninety lbs of poop can not be contained in a 60lb container.

grey_ghost1 thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Minardi
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

YOU are the KD? And you can't tell people, "I'm sorry, you need a kitchen twice this size to hold all of your wish list. Do you want to sell and move? Or do you want to make this space the best it can be, and get SOME of those things. Certainly not all." No one can magically make more space appear but a contractor whom you've thrown bales of money at to do just that.