Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_937307825

Help! Bathroom Vanity with Red Marble

C Cabrera
16 days ago

I need some advice on what color to paint this vanity (or lighten the wood?) in our main bathroom, please! Our house is mostly rustic coastal, blues, greens, creams. Bathroom is west facing. I want to tone down the orange-red of the rojo alicante vanity top and soften the obtrusiveness of this vanity in the small space.

Comments (40)

• chispa
    16 days ago

Any other color/stain you use is going to highlight the red counter. Now it all blends in.

Have you considered leaving the vanity as it is, and changing out the counters to something much lighter?

A lighter counter will make a bigger impact in how the space feels.

• jackowskib
    16 days ago

Hoping some pros will chime in, have you considered changing vanity to a lighter color that compliments the veining in the countertop?

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    16 days ago

But don’t you think the white seems to make the red pop even more?

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    16 days ago

We have to keep the counter.

• kandrewspa
    16 days ago

If you like the vanity top, then leave everything the way it is. If you really don't like it, bite the bullet and replace the top. Is this marble used anywhere else in the bathroom?

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Here are some photos from my brainstorming about this:

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Red marble is not anywhere else in the home and is very different than the general style.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

IMO get a new top since it connects to nothing else in the house why let it drive this space .If you must keep it IMO leave all as is. I think a apinted vanity will actually make that whole set up look cheap.

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Yes, must keep so may have to just leave it all alone.

• mcarroll16
    15 days ago

Remove the rug and replace your green towels with white. It's a tiny change, but the little pops of green are accentuating the red tones, and also just adding to the busyness of the room. If you are stuck with the red marble (and presumably the pinky-beige tile) for now, your best bet is to eliminate any contrasting elements. Go for "simple and serene" with plush white linens and no other colors at all.

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Okay, I was thinking the green/blue tones would soften the red and balance the pink beige tiles.

I have swapped things with a muted gray in the past, so maybe I’ll go back to that.

I think the white makes the red pop too much.

• mcarroll16
    15 days ago

I've tried the same thing--using blues to soften pinky-brown bathroom tile I hate. One of the pros here said that complementary colors highlight each other, not soften each other. I realized that was going on in my sad pink-brown bathroom. Taking all the colors out didn't make it great, but it did make it as good as possible.

Gray seems like an odd fit with the tile color. The beauty of white is that you already have a lot of it in the room. Plumbing fixtures, wall color, shower curtain. Changing to white linens keeps everything really simple. I think you're right though to keep the vanity cabinet as is.

• HU-402831377
    15 days ago

I like the idea of blue or green. I would do the towels, rugs, shower curtain and accessories all in the same color. I don't think gray is good fit since your tile is -more beige/brown.

Find an art print that will pull the colors together. I notice you have art hanging so maybe it already does. Art is so personal, but I did a quick look on Amazon and attach some below. On my screen your countertop looks more brown-red.

Amazon.com: Yatehui Heron Canvas Wall Art Bird Picture Artwork for Living Room Bedroom Barhroom Wall Décor: Posters & Prints

Amazon.com: NdcSkyArt Seagull Canvas Wall Art - Hand Painted Beach Paintings for Living Room, Bedroom, and Bathroom Décor: Paintings

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

You can paint out the vanity in a DIY and a Dupont Corian top in a soft white would not be huge bucks. You keep the under mounted sinks, re use.

Paint the vanity a soft coastal green add a Cameo White counter, paint out all the upper wood trim and it's a brand new bath. Get a new shower curtain.

A whole lot cheaper than a rip.....If the whole thing to finish is more than 2k ? My bet is not including the labor for the plumber as all remains in place. Start the piggy bank : ), find 38.00 a week and do it next year?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Find a rug with a pattern that has same/similar color as the marble and vanity. Let that inform the light near neutral wall color.

It's a bold color and pattern that just needs pulled together with the right decor so it 1) makes sense and 2) isn't the only thing in the space with some color, in a word it needs balanced.

Has the potential to be fabulous and at least you have something interesting to work with. Could be worse, could be white subway tile everywhere. :)

• cat_ky
    15 days ago

Guess, I am the only one here, that likes that red countertop. I would want it to stand out.

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you! I hadn’t considered bringing more of the color in to balance it. Hmm

It’s more that the red top is very different than the feel of the rest of the home rather than me disliking it.

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Maybe something like this?

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Would a colorful rug make this space look too crowded? I don’t know if I’ll be able to find a rug like this in the right size.

• BarbieCalgary
    15 days ago

Largest rug that will fit with tones matching countertop, shower curtain with the rug tones, deep earth tone linens. Go rich and deep.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Thank you! I hadn’t considered bringing more of the color in to balance it. Hmm

It's the only thing off. The floor is good, works well with the vanity/countertop.

If you can't find a rug, consider a shower curtain. Consider taking it to the ceiling - Google for examples of how that's done. Look for equally bold colors as the red marble, either a smaller or larger pattern because the countertop has medium scale movement pattern; again, look to balance the scale/proportion of pattern too because the marble is the jumping off point.

A shower curtain would be just as effective in terms of balance and is reasonably affordable even if you want to get one custom.

Would a colorful rug make this space look too crowded?

A rug is there now. So, no.

PS - if you post dimensions for the area where the rug goes, good chance the lovely ladies here will post some options. If it can be found, they'll find it.

• cat_ky
    14 days ago

I agree, get a rug and/ or a shower curtain with the color of the counters. The counter is already the star of the room. Embrace it, with other things. Yes, the walls need to be painted. Towels could match the counter too.

• Boxerpal
    14 days ago

@cat_ky I like the red counter too.

C Cabrera Sounds like you need to keep it. Embrace it. I love the rug you chose from Pottery Barn Charli Persian. Don't paint the vanity a white color that would be very stark like this photo

Client Projects · More Info

https://www.stonecontact.com/products-840641/rosso-verona-pink-marble-countertops

• youXHome interiors
    14 days ago

What about going for this kind of vibe?

https://www.domino.com/uploads/2024/03/15/Coastal-Bathroom-Ideas-domino-05.jpeg?auto=webp&optimize=high&width=1440

think about the marble as like a seashell. if you wanted to try to lighten the wood, you could, but you could also first try someting like a natural or blush linen shower curtain and a natural texture bath mat, plus a couple woven or rattan accessories. Maybe gold hardware?

• youXHome interiors
    14 days ago

https://www.domino.com/uploads/2024/03/15/Coastal-Bathroom-Ideas-domino-05.jpeg?auto=webp&optimize=high&width=1440

What about taking this photo as inspiration and going for a natural seashell kind of vibe? you could try lightening the wood (not my area of expertise) but you could also start simplier and try a flax or blush linen shower curtain, natural bath mat, and woven/rattan accessories. Gold hardware might look nice too

• rockybird
    14 days ago

I think I’m one of the minority but I like that countertop! I would leave it and leave the cabinets. I like the ideas of adding more colors in other ways. I wonder if painting the wall behind the mirror white would help brghten the space?

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks! Yes, I have seen that photo but didn’t think about using the accessories in there to inspire the rest of the room, like linens. Hmm. Will think about this. This would be different than what I am hearing from others about bringing in more rich and bold.

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

With the colour of your floor tiles, I would opt for a warm white for the vanity & walls, brass accessories (faucets, pulls, knobs, sconces, shower rod, etc.), a waffle weave white shower curtain, white solar shade on window, washable vintage light coloured rug.

Note: Even if you use the same colour of paint on vanity & walls, the difference in finishes (matte & satin or semi-gloss) giving a different sheen will make a contrast.

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you!!

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    13 days ago

What wall paint? I’ve heard a few times walls need to be painted. It’s a west facing room. We usually use White Dove…

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    13 days ago

We are probably just going to go work around keeping the vanity and top as is.

• Tara
    13 days ago

If you're going to go rich and deep, how about a deep teal?

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks. I don’t want dark wall paint in this bathroom though. Other suggestions?

• PRO
    lisedv
    12 days ago

If you decide to keep the vanity as is...

• C Cabrera
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Ooh! I like this!

• Susan Davis
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Bite the bullet and find a a left over at the stone yard and have the top made in the color that works with the rest of the house.

• happyleg
    12 days ago

Our neighbor has pink tile & red drapes. A big bathroom & Cystal chandy. It's regal & lovely. The walls are white.

• mcarroll16
    12 days ago

Lisedv's mockups are great! A question I should have asked at the beginning: what is the style of the rest of your house? Not colors, but furniture and architectural details. Because you can absolutely switch color schemes for a room and still have it "fit" the house. In your case, I wonder whether the heavy door style of the vanity is a big piece of the bathroom not fitting in. Would refacing the cabinet with a simpler door style bring the room more in harmony with the house?

• freedomplace1
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The vanity top is fabulous. I would love it. But since you don’t like it, you could just put some towels or something on it.

ETA: I like the finish on the current vanity, too. But if you painted it - I would say taupe.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor